PDA

View Full Version : AOF Gathering Sept 17-24

jts1
08-28-2010, 08:11 PM
We have one last gathering in the works for Sept 17-24 down in Etherington. This is open to any and all forum members. They have a wonderful group campsite with 2 cook house's and lots of room. We will only book the group campsite when we have a few confirmed "I would guess the weekend" Myself and my wife will be there all week and will have a personal campsite for the rest of the days. There is plenty of fishing and hiking spots around the area. I have planed to cook a turkey in the ground for this one , as per normal we will do the potluck meal as well. The group campsite goes for a rate of 160 a night or there about so please post your intentions to attend and we will work out reserving the site.

There is a few members already confirmed for attendance but I will let them post here rather than myself doing it. If you have any questions or suggestions lets get them up here. This is just one of many we have done And I can promise you that it is ALWAYS a great time with even better people. I look foreword to reading your posts.

WayneChristie
08-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Going to see if I can get that Friday off, I do want to be there. A good time as always, too bad some of our northern members wont be there, one in particular Id like to meet, eh Jaylow?

Guitarplayingfish
08-28-2010, 08:39 PM
I've never met any of you, and I would love to come and meet some fellow AOF members, but unfortunately I have plans to go to the kootenays. If there are any hardcores out there like myself, I plan on ice camping this year... Maybe we could have an on-ice gathering?...

jts1
08-28-2010, 08:42 PM
I've never met any of you, and I would love to come and meet some fellow AOF members, but unfortunately I have plans to go to the kootenays. If there are any hardcores out there like myself, I plan on ice camping this year... Maybe we could have an on-ice gathering?...

Ohhhh my friend we do have them dont you worry. Hard water is just around the corner

Geezle
08-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Shazbot! Another gathering I can't make it to :(

WayneChristie
08-28-2010, 09:03 PM
I have to admit, until last winter, I dreaded the cold, but since Ive taken up icefishing and got the gear, its a whole different story. I dont want "summer" to end but I cant wait for freezeup so I can get back out there and do me some ice fishing! We will definitley have to have at least one and hopefully more gatherings on the ice this coming winter. I have some great spots now for those who like to catch big fish in the south, looking forward to meeting more members and having good times while freezing our butts off again. Maybe Sandalius will even catch some fish this year!

WayneChristie
08-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Shazbot! Another gathering I can't make it to :(

Tellin yah Scooby, when you get some time off this winter we got to get together and catch some fish!!!!! whether down this way, up thataways, or somewheres in between we will do it. Maybe even get that Florida girl out on some frozen water and show her how Canuckleheads have fun in the winter. :bad_boys_20:

Geezle
08-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Tellin yah Scooby, when you get some time off this winter we got to get together and catch some fish!!!!! whether down this way, up thataways, or somewheres in between we will do it. Maybe even get that Florida girl out on some frozen water and show her how Canuckleheads have fun in the winter. :bad_boys_20:

Definitely gotta get together with you and slay some fish Wayne! Don't know about getting the Florida girl out on the ice though...she thinks I'm an absolute maniac for going out on a frozen lake ON PURPOSE and then punching holes in the ice :lol:

Heck, she gets nervous as the passenger when we're driving in just regular winter conditions in the city...poor girl, I just don't think she's quite built for this climate :lol:

Sandalius
08-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Maybe Sandalius will even catch some fish this year!

Hey Wayne, :snapoutofit: you might wanna discuss this with jst1.
He had an awesome story to tell around the campfire at the last gathering
about my fishing skills...or was it about his lack of skills ????( not sure but it's funny )
You have already seen that I can catch fish and just like giving me the gears ...lol
That's OK, it's good to pass it off on someone else - you can only tease a person about a pink rod so many times........right jts1
This hard water season I'm gonna get some of your hardware back ( pike face jewellery ) and get me a fishing rod that used to belong to jts1 :)

As for this gathering - not to sure just yet about the days ????
Probably on the weekend though - we'll see, there's a gun so that weekend that I have to attend too.....

Geezle : if we can get an Aussie out ice fishing, a Florida girl should be no problem....lol

RedHeadedFisherman
08-29-2010, 12:48 AM
well,. here is one AO gathering that i might can make. would love to meet more members, and even WayneChristie LOL.. can some one pm me real good driving directions pls? i know how to get to longview, but from there...?
thank you
RHF

jts1
08-29-2010, 01:00 AM
I will post a map with directions on this thread in the near future.

jts1
08-29-2010, 02:11 AM
Here is a link with information on the camp site , there should be a map on there that will give you directions.

http://albertawow.com/campgrounds/Etherington_Creek/Etherington_Creek.htm

calgarygringo
08-29-2010, 07:09 AM
For all of you wondering about this place and area it is a great spot. Campsites are very large if you want to do a regular camp spot. The group camp has an indoor cookshack with windows and wood stove if needed. There is also a football field sized meadow in the middle for you crossbow guys to play. Lots of hiking trails and many creeks and streams and beaver ponds with lots of fish. We just got back from there this week and caught some some nice brookies and did some other road tripping as well. If anyone has questions of the area feel free to ask as we have been going there for years and are quite familiar. We are on holidays that week as well so lots of days for anyone to join even if you can only come for the day. Make sure to bring all weather clothing that time of year as it could be plus 30 or could snow. Hope to see everyone there...........

Guitarplayingfish
08-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Sigh.... What a beautiful creek and campground. Im very disappointed I cannot make it.

michelle
08-29-2010, 12:22 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:
Yay!!!! I am so excited! I will be there Sept 19-23. Can't wait to see the campground and see old friends AND meet some new ones hopefully!

Do I need to bring my bear spray?:scared0018:

Calgaryguy1977
08-29-2010, 01:25 PM

It's ok I got a knife! LOL

WayneChristie
08-29-2010, 03:48 PM

nah I promise to behave :sHa_sarcasticlol:

calgarygringo
08-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Actually you will be in the middle of bear country. In my 30 years or so of camping in the area only had a close bear encounter one time while fishing. I will save the story for around the fire it was actually funny. I did hear once of a grizzly bear knocking out someones windows and crawling into their trailer and stealing all the campers food and bear at Etherington campground.
:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:
If you feel better bringing spray I would do so. You will probably have a better chance of running into a bullwinkle or a mountain sheep than see a bear.But they are definitely out there watching.....

flygirrl
08-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Well I just might be able to make it. Pending all heck breaking loose at work of course. As it stands I will be down on the Friday and staying until Tue maybe longer will see. Are you going tonyflyfish? If so maybe we could travel convoy style. LOL

jts1
08-29-2010, 09:58 PM
So far confirmed

Jts1 / Mrsjts1 Turkey cooked in the ground
Michelle & Jello Shots
FlyGirl/Husband "Even if he is just a cover" :fighting0030:
CalgaryGringo/MrsGringo

Just as we had thought It seems everyone will have the weekend down there. So I will look into getting the group campground for Fri/Sat Night after we have a few more confirmed.

flygirrl
08-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Ha, jst1 , no husband again, just the boyfriend LOL

Geezle
08-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Geezle : if we can get an Aussie out ice fishing, a Florida girl should be no problem....lol

Ha! I'll believe it when I see it! :lol:

Who's the aussie? :confused:

calgarygringo
08-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Yes we will be there form sure.
We will be up Sunday night the 19th after work that day and are off until the 29th.
We have no big plans for the week so anyone that wants to come up during the week and wants to stay would be nice.
The JTS family and ourselves will fend of the bears, but more is always better if you have weekdays off.

See you there..........

Ken

jts1
08-30-2010, 11:43 AM
I just got off the phone with the people that run the campsite. The Group area is open for the Fri/sat night. How ever It is 250 a night. We must book the first night prior on a credit card and the second will be collected on site. I am thinking of going down and fishing the Livingstone on Wends I can stop in and make a payment on the site for the first night. "Weather permitting me going fishing" As long as everyone agrees. We dont have that many comfirmed as of yet so Do we want to hold off for another week? With just a few of us we could get away with personal sites all in a row I guess? let me know what you think ?

flygirrl
08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Whew, thats steep. So far four have confirmed that makes it 62.50 a night per unit. How much are the sites worth?
Ha, just answered my own question. The sites are 23 a night and if you double up on the sites they are 39.00. That makes it 19.50 a night per unit. The benifit to the group site is the facilities I guess. Cook house etc but then you have to move your site if your staying longer. Actually because Calgarygringo wont be down til Sunday night that makes only three confirmed. Its up to you Jst1 but I think I would hold off for a week and see what happens. The worse that can happen is we stay in the regular campground... Just my thoughts, I'll go with the flow..

nicemustang
08-30-2010, 12:29 PM
With regrets, you guys picked a weekend I am not available...again...sniff, sniff. Have fun peeps.

WayneChristie
08-30-2010, 05:54 PM
We will be tenting it, so regular site shared would be fine.

michelle
08-31-2010, 02:01 AM
:confused:How can we generate more interest in this for new people to join us? Any ideas?

RedHeadedFisherman
08-31-2010, 02:18 AM
Here is a link with information on the camp site , there should be a map on there that will give you directions.

http://albertawow.com/campgrounds/Etherington_Creek/Etherington_Creek.htm

further to this map is this one if your comming from calgary. and know how to get to Longview.

http://www.woodalls.com/campground/largemap.aspx?campgroundid=46542700&index=1

DarkAisling
08-31-2010, 06:51 AM
It looks like #1 son and I will be daytrippers again.

Spent too much on toys out of September's budget (TFH sale and son's bday): can't rent a motorhome and don't want to tent it.

jts1
08-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Dark I will have a motor home out there that I am renting. You and #1 are more than welcome to curl up in it for a night if you wish. As for getting new people out with us I am not sure?? Lets post some pics of past gatherings and get some opinions posted of your experiences at an AOF gathering. This is a great way to get to know members of this forum. One time out with all of us and you will either be one of the group or think we are all nuts. LOL

calgarygringo
08-31-2010, 07:58 AM
Maybe just a note for any new folks wondering about the gatherings we have and not sure about joining in.
First of all it is open to anyone from anywhere and any age. In our family alone we have my inlaws in their mid 70's who can't wait until the next time, us in our fifties and our kids in their 20's coming out. Their is someone in every age group so you can find someone to bond with if you are concerned if everyone is real young or just a bunch of old farts.
We always go somewhere where you can do other things. Fishing is always plentiful nearby and many are able to try new places.
We also share many fishing ideas, see others different equipment as well. Last year Steve and myself even did some boneless pike and burbot filleting demo's to show some different ways.
We always have evening campfires, tell jokes stories etc. and have fun.
To top it all off we always have a big potluck dinner and usually have enough leftovers to have a second pot luck lunch for going home days as well.
Hopefully some of the ones on the fence folks or ones with questions will read this and may peak their interest. If you have a tent, trailer, motorhome or just want to visit for a day come and join in for some fun.
The next one has a big campground with big sites for all. Lots of fishing and hiking in the area as well. Some of us are off during the week as well so if you wish to come on the weekend or weekdays that week please join in.
Feel free to p.m. one of us regulars if you have questions and we will do our best to answer for you.

Hope it's not too long but this is what this is all about.
Hope to see you all soon......

Ken
AKA Calgarygringo

FishingMOM
08-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Sounds like fun.

Might be able to pull off a day trip.
Looks like it will be within my driving range for a daytrip.

slingshotz
08-31-2010, 09:32 AM
I've been to a few of these gatherings and they have always been awesome and they are not really hardcore fishing gatherings so anyone that just wants to chill out, relax and not fish you will always have company at the camp. So any non-fishing friends and family that love being outdoors will fit right in. The food has always been incredible too!

I'd love to come again and get some more use out of our trailer but we are heading to Iceland and Finland for some fishing so we'll have to catch up with everyone on during the next hard water gathering.

DarkAisling
08-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Dark I will have a motor home out there that I am renting. You and #1 are more than welcome to curl up in it for a night if you wish.

Thanks . . . you and the Mrs. are awesome :)

We might take you up on that.

calgarygringo
08-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Just a welcome to fishing mom. Sent me a p.m. this a.m. for details and I guess it helps to know what is going on.
Remember it is only 1 1/2 hours south and west of Calgary not a 4 hour drive.
Again come for the day or come for overnighter.

FishingMOM
08-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Hopefully there wont be snow!

baitfisher83
08-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Hopefully there wont be snow!

Hey now, none of that language.....don't make me come over there!

flygirrl
08-31-2010, 02:48 PM
-1 here this morn scraped the ice off the windsheild and snow on the higher peaks in the west country:angry3:

S-in-Cochrane
08-31-2010, 03:26 PM
I think myself and girlfriend and puppy can make it for at least a day trip. If we do an overnighter we will be tenting. We spent the Aug Long weekend near there. My parents are heading out for a visit around that date, will need to double check when they will be getting in from Winnipeg.

__
S

The Fisherman Guy
08-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Sept 17! Thats the Deer opener!

I might be able to make it for a couple of nights, probably Friday and Saturday. I will not know for sure until the week of the 17th. I will post as soon as I know yes, or no and what I will be bringing for food!

Frost1545
08-31-2010, 07:43 PM
New to the forum. Would like to meet new people. Give tips and maybe learn a few. Needing a few days off work this seems like the perfect getaway!

Located near Calgary airport. Anyone is looking for lift or just tagging along send me a pm.

fairly good cook... bring a side of roast beef?

WayneChristie
08-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Welcome frost, bring whatever you like, there should be lots of food there, and there is usually a good variety. Lots of good people, and a few crazies(but in a good way) :scared0015:

Frost1545
08-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Welcome frost, bring whatever you like, there should be lots of food there, and there is usually a good variety. Lots of good people, and a few crazies(but in a good way) :scared0015:

should feel right at home then :happy0034:

baitfisher83
08-31-2010, 10:00 PM
don't worry frost, Wayne will have a straight jacket fitted right to ya.....

FishingMOM
09-01-2010, 09:54 AM
:sSig_welcome2::sSig_welcome2::sSig_welcome2::sSig _welcome2::sSig_welcome2:
hmmmmm..... wonder what town might be near by.. with a hotel.
I know that isnt camping, but if it is cold it might be a solution, and save me from driving back same day

Mrsjts1
09-01-2010, 10:38 AM
So far confirmed

Jts1 / Mrsjts1 Turkey cooked in the ground
Michelle & Jello Shots
FlyGirl/Husband "Even if he is just a cover" :fighting0030:
CalgaryGringo/MrsGringo

Just as we had thought It seems everyone will have the weekend down there. So I will look into getting the group campground for Fri/Sat Night after we have a few more confirmed.

I just might make Cabbage Rolls to go along with the turkey we will be doing in the ground

WayneChristie
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
wouldnt the turkey be a little tastier if it was cooked in foil? ground can get pretty gritty sometimes :bad_boys_20:

calgarygringo
09-01-2010, 09:56 PM
For anyone who cannot brave the weather I forget to mention that only a few miles back on the hiway there is a real nice bed and breakfast that would work. I cannot remember the name off the top but it is only a short run down the main hiway right on the Highwood river. Have not stayed there but have heard people that have and it supposed to be and looks quite a nice place. Probably would work well.
Let me know if interested and I will come up with the name.

Or I am sure my black lab would keep you warm curled up on the couch of the trailer......:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:: sHa_sarcasticlol:

jts1
09-01-2010, 09:58 PM
wouldnt the turkey be a little tastier if it was cooked in foil? ground can get pretty gritty sometimes :bad_boys_20:

Puddle fisher.....

calgarygringo
09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Maybe we should show everyone what a puddlefisher looks like:):):)

jts1
09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I think flygirl is the one with that pic. I am sure she will be allover this post. I took a look and have a few of you tho....

WayneChristie
09-01-2010, 10:34 PM
at least the whitecaps were small LOL good thing about fishing down here you can see the bad weather coming for 3 days. glad you didnt ruin a good pontoon boat today dude. Hopefully the shorts come clean after 5 or 6 washings :sHa_sarcasticlol:

calgarygringo
09-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Remembered the name of the little b&b up by the campground. It is called the Highwood River Inn.
Here is the link to their website.
http://www.highwoodriverinn.info/

michelle
09-02-2010, 07:59 AM
I will be there Sept 19-23 and have an 2 extra beds in the RV if anyone needs it!:grouphug:
I can't wait!

FishingMOM
09-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Remembered the name of the little b&b up by the campground. It is called the Highwood River Inn.
Here is the link to their website.
http://www.highwoodriverinn.info/

Perfect, also was looking at a hotel in Longview.
It saves me from doing too much driving and being able to get a full day in.

DarkAisling
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
I just remembered that #1 son is supposed to be going to Disneyland with his aunt on the 18th if he get's his passport in time :(

It might be hubby, me, and our little guy for four nights if I can get my hands on a trailer.

WayneChristie
09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
whats in the area in the way of fishing? going to be in the big city tomorrow so I can pick up a few lures. I imagine its all small trout streams?

jts1
09-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Go with some small meps and such Wayne. We all will have flies and things if you need. Streams and beaver ponds will be the main course in the area. Ken will know more than I. I will be heading to the Livingstone while down there.

calgarygringo
09-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Looks like I will be coming out earlier than I thought. Probably will be out Saturday night if I can get away soon enough. I don't need to work Sunday and and Sandra is working on getting the day off too. I may even come out myself on Saturday and she can drive out with the other truck Sunday if need be. Probably won't be there until later as I have to work until 5 so would be much like last time out. Yes we can do some beaver ponds and a few streams as well. There are a few good hidden ponds in the area we can hike to. Some I have not been in a few years but they always used to be fun. Some have some bigger trout hanging in them as well.

DarkAisling
09-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I've alerted my boss to the fact that I plan on taking the 17th and the 20th off work. He seems pretty amiable to the situation. He actually suggested I needed a "nice long fishing weekend," as my mood has been a little hostile lately and I've snapped at a few co-workers. Oops.

I'm having a look at a trailer today. *fingers crossed* I've been able to dig up some other ones I'm interested in, too.

DarkAisling
09-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Well, I put a deposit down on this one:
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-RVs-campers-trailers-travel-trailers-campers-2002-Keystone-Outback-25FB-W0QQAdIdZ226918484

It isn't exactly what I was looking for, but I fell in love with it!

If everything works out as planned, we'll be there.

calgarygringo
09-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Have a friend with the same layout and he quite likes. Good for the weekends and the comforts of home almost. As long as it works for you that is all that matters. Just make sure there are no water spots on the ceilings especially the corners. Go up and check to see if the owner has caulked the roof so you don't end up with a leaky boat...

Wife got her schedule arranged today as well so looks like we will be out on Saturday night instead of Sunday. One extra day of holidays for us. Yahoo...

jts1
09-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Ok so far we have :

Mr/Mrs jts1
Michelle
Flygirl
Mr/Mrs Gringo
Mr/Mrs Wayne
DarkAisling
Frost1545
Fishingmom

1 week left before we all are sitting around the fire telling lies and having a few nips. Cant wait to get out again. As for the food thing I will let it lay for another day but it always works out. If people that are going to attend want a site please let me know so I can talk to the campground and get the ball rolling. Are we still doing the group site or are we just going to all camp side by side in the sites??

calgarygringo
09-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I think if we are only going to be 6 or 8 units at that time of year we should have no problem taking a corner or loop of the campground. Most of the sites are quite big so should be no problem fitting everyone in. There are not usually too many campers except the diehards out there at that time especially with no power. We should have a genny or 2 as well so we should be ok for that as well. The cost of the group camp gets pretty expensive for a few people. If we had 15-20 I think it would be great. I will make sure I have my jumbo tarp for cover in case of a monsoon like last year and if we can get enough firewood we should have no issues keeping warm, dry and well fed.
Let me know if you think of anything else as I think the back of my truck is getting more full every day.

DarkAisling
09-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I vote for individual sites, as I can't commit 100%. I may not have the trailer in time for this trip. As always, things could go wrong . . . and with the way things have gone over the last few months I almost expect a last moment disaster (and I'm basically inviting one this time).

Hadn't thought about a genny. Have too see if I can find a deal on one, I think.

Our potluck contribution will probably be something from the Safeway deli: platters of some sort.

It should be me, hubby, and our little guy.

WayneChristie
09-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I vote for individual sites, as I can't commit 100%. I may not have the trailer in time for this trip. As always, things could go wrong . . . and with the way things have gone over the last few months I almost expect a last moment disaster (and I'm basically inviting one this time).

Hadn't thought about a genny. Have too see if I can find a deal on one, I think.

Our potluck contribution will probably be something from the Safeway deli: platters of some sort.

It should be me, hubby, and our little guy.

techno-junkie :P

bushman53
09-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Will be there on the 18th, not sure yet for how many days. Was thinking of bringin the horses down and fish a couple days then head out hunting for a few days but haven't looked into it much yet. Can't wait for another great gathering

calgarygringo
09-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Sandra and I were discussing the gathering over breakfast.
Since we have people coming out different days for the gathering and some will be there sooner and some longer than others why don't we try to do the pot luck on the day when most people will be present.
From what I see Sunday would be that day.
We were thinking maybe a mid afternoon Sunday dinner could work. Then everyone coming down should be there and everyone could go home on a full belly or even if someone wants to come for a Sunday day trip can partake.
I was also looking at the weather and nights are going to be pretty cool so sitting in the afternoon hopefully in the sun may be nicer for eating as well.
What are your thoughts?

Ken

jts1
09-06-2010, 11:02 AM
You seen the size of my belly?? I am good to eat anytime anywhere. Great idea I agree

slingshotz
09-06-2010, 11:31 PM

Ken told me about the Champion generator at Costco so I picked it up the week after. Used it this long weekend at Beauvais and it was awesome, pretty quiet and very portable.

If you need more power you can link two of them up in parallel.

DarkAisling
09-07-2010, 06:47 AM
You seen the size of my belly?? I am good to eat anytime anywhere. Great idea I agree

You have body dysmorphic disorder or something. Sure, you're carrying a few extra pounds, but you're not as big as you seem to think you are.

Sunday nights sounds good for dinner.

No genny for us (for now). Hubby feels we don't need one.

calgarygringo
09-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Good to hear it worked good as that one is version 1.0 and not too many reports on it yet. My big Champion runs great so assumed they had a good product. Shelley, keep in mind genny just isn't for running the toys of the trailer but is great for keeping the trailer batteries charges. When it gets colder and you need to run your furnace the batteries don't last forever. A few hours on the genny tops them back up. I have a 4k but the little 2k one Will bought is great for that. I was thinking of getting one myself as they are more portable than my big one. Big one is great to run the air and everything else at once but a little 2k runs all the small stuff and will keep the batteries topped up. Especially if you are like us and go out until winter freezes in. We don't put our trailer away just because of a little frost. We have been known to be out in December as long as it is not too cold.

DarkAisling
09-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Shelley, keep in mind genny just isn't for running the toys of the trailer but is great for keeping the trailer batteries charges. When it gets colder and you need to run your furnace the batteries don't last forever. A few hours on the genny tops them back up..

Yup. Even I can figure that out!

My choices are:
A) Listen to hubby, and allow the three of us to suffer (and use way to much gas by charging the batteries with the truck).
B) Ignore hubby and buy a generator (and then be in trouble for "wasting money"),
C) See if I can rent Will and Larissa's for the weekend (if they're not coming).

If we don't suffer he isn't going to recognize the need for it, and it would be a "waste of money." I suppose another option would be to see if we could rent yours while we're out there (since you're bringing it anyway). That might work well . . . we'd have a day to suffer before being saved from our stupidity by someone willing to rent out his generator for a few hours.

honda450
09-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey Dark ya gotta clean your PM box. Tryed sending a PM but can't. Too full.

DarkAisling
09-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Hey Dark ya gotta clean your PM box. Tryed sending a PM but can't. Too full.

Deleted a handfull. I've got 87 unanswered PMs in there, that I keep meaning to get too :o

Bad Shelley.

slingshotz
09-07-2010, 10:57 AM
I won't be bringing the genny to Iceland/Finland :) so you're welcome to use it if you want. I got a battery charger and just plugged it in directly to the genny and connected up the battery. Charged it while we were using things in the trailer and it took maybe two hours to get it from half to almost full. If your new trailer has two 6v batteries it'll have much better amperage so you probably won't need the genny.

We only have the one 12v battery in ours and it would have probably just lasted the three nights but I didn't want to risk the furnace dying on the last night as it got to 0C overnight.

FishingMOM
09-07-2010, 03:10 PM
why don't we try to do the pot luck on the day when most people will be present.
From what I see Sunday would be that day.

If that is the case I wont be present for the pot luck as my little stinker has a party to be at on sunday. Still considering the options - driving out and back on saturday.

harrydude
09-07-2010, 10:48 PM
this sound like fun.........

any lakes around????

more details please

Braun
09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
ha. wow did i fall behind on this one. i figured its so far in advance id let the posts build up then catch myself up but looks like that was a bad choice. ha. well i will definately be in for at least 1 night/day. the lady will work the saturday morning so saturdays are usually my fishing days so i dont see why i wouldnt come out the friday after work fish sat and see if the gf would want to either catch up with us or i just head home. or i stay in town that night and we come out sat night. I will definately be in for at least 1 night but unsure which one

RedHeadedFisherman
09-08-2010, 04:35 AM
Hi all,. i still want to come, i THINK! i know how to get there, lol it's actualy not all that far from me ( west/sw of me )
( my 2 cents on this) once at the actual campsite, would it be a good idea to put up a sign ( cardboard ect???) saying AO Gathering Here ??
so first timers ( like me :) ) know where it is??

Thanks and I hope I can make it ( $ is still tight)
RHF

michelle
09-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Potluck on Sunday ! YES! :sHa_shakeshout: Can't wait! Maybe I can park beside someone with a genny, I assume it is going to be cold :sad0020:
Jeff I will need a campsite...right beside you guys :)

calgarygringo
09-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Not to worry gents. As we get closer more details, and trail is marked as well. We will leave a trail of bread crumbs so everyone can find their way home.
Come out any day you wish as I believe Jeff will be first out and I won't be until Saturday night but we both will be staying during the week as well.
For fishing this is all river, creek and beaverpond country. Leave the pike gear at home as this is trout country. The Etherington creek campground is easy to find so no need to worry about getting lost. Only a few miles away from the Highwood house corner which has a small store, gas, dump site etc.
Any questions on the area etc. send me a p.m. as we have been going out that area for years camping and fishing so are very familiar. For anyone who is not into fishing there are many hiking trails as well, and a horse area there too if you go riding.

flygirrl
09-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Will be there on the 18th, not sure yet for how many days. Was thinking of bringin the horses down and fish a couple days then head out hunting for a few days but haven't looked into it much yet. Can't wait for another great gathering

.......,,,,????............,,,.......,,!!!!!!!!!.. ........????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????.. .................:sHa_sarcasticlol:

WayneChristie
09-08-2010, 05:57 PM
.......,,,,????............,,,.......,,!!!!!!!!!.. ........????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????.. .................:sHa_sarcasticlol:

comeon, no one else can speak newbrunswickese here :P

Got permission from the boss today to leave a couple hours early that Friday so we should be out there around dark. Looks like the corn will be ready next week so thats what I will be bringing, straight out of the garden.

DarkAisling
09-08-2010, 05:59 PM
I confirmed my days off today. We'll be heading out around noon on Friday, and heading back into town around 11:30 on Monday. #1 son will be coming with us (his Disneyland trip was derailed), and he needs to be back in time for his last class on Monday.

calgarywolfwoman
09-08-2010, 06:07 PM
How will he ever survive without his wiifi ?

DarkAisling
09-08-2010, 06:13 PM
How will he ever survive without his wiifi ?

I think the real question is how will I survive without mine? :o

I suspect Jeff might keep him busy, though that worries me a little. (Ya get my kid drunk and you're in big trouble, Jeff!).

DarkAisling
09-08-2010, 06:16 PM
For anyone who is not into fishing there are many hiking trails as well, and a horse area there too if you go riding.

FYI: Hubby is deathly allergic to horses (or at least he used to be). Please let him know before coming into contact with him if any of you have been in contact with horses, so he can take the necessary precautions.

Where can I buy an EpiPen?

flygirrl
09-08-2010, 06:25 PM
comeon, no one else can speak newbrunswickese here :P

Got permission from the boss today to leave a couple hours early that Friday so we should be out there around dark. Looks like the corn will be ready next week so thats what I will be bringing, straight out of the garden.

Its actually bushman53 language and if you had of been to the last gathering you would know what it means. Shelly be aware that there is an equestrian campground attached to this same campground so horses may or may not be in the area, busman53 said he may bring his....

DarkAisling
09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Its actually bushman53 language and if you had of been to the last gathering you would know what it means. Shelly be aware that there is an equestrian campground attached to this same campground so horses may or may not be in the area, busman53 said he may bring his....

Apparently "deathly allergic" does not mean deathly-as-in-dead allergic. He has an appointment with his doctor tomorrow, and I told him to get an EpiPen. He claims his inhalers will be good enough. He's pretty good about his health (he's concerned about leaving his little guy without a dad) so his earlier stories regarding his horse allergy may have been exaggerated: based on his casual response to my request /order.

WayneChristie
09-09-2010, 07:27 AM
My 2 cents worth, I am thinking most people will come for the weekend, and I for one would rather not have a huge meal then drive 3 hours home, good recipe for dozing off or making a mess on a big bump, :scared0015:
why not have a big dinner Saturday night as usual, then Gringo and clan could have some awesome food awaiting their arrival, and a follow up meal Sunday?

Mrsjts1
09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
I think the real question is how will I survive without mine? :o

I suspect Jeff might keep him busy, though that worries me a little. (Ya get my kid drunk and you're in big trouble, Jeff!).

LOL Jeff does some silly things but I am pretty sure he wouldn't get a kid drunk...

does anyone know if Tony is coming? I am prepared to create millions of cabbage rolls again.

Ken Sandra, are the boys coming that week or weekend to?

calgarygringo
09-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Sandra has talked to the boys but has no commitment one way or the other yet. One just started a new job and the other is hoping to be starting a new one and they don't know days off yet. At least thats what I heard. I am sure Sandra can fill in tonite when she gets home from work.
The folks are out in Fairmont right now and due to be back end of next week and don't know about them either. I know they said they wanted to be at the next one. I think mil has a couple appts early that week so if they came would only be the weekend or a day trip. Sandra was going to try to call and see what they are going to be up to.
I am sure Sandra will have all the details soon.

DarkAisling
09-09-2010, 02:57 PM
LOL Jeff does some silly things but I am pretty sure he wouldn't get a kid drunk...

It is all part of this charm! :lol:

jts1
09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey now there aint no padlock on my cooler. I can not be held accountable for anything that goes on at a gathering :confused0024:

FishingMOM
09-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Hey now there aint no padlock on my cooler. I can not be held accountable for anything that goes on at a gathering :confused0024:

Nor should you have to be responsible. Unfortunately the courts see it differently.
People fail to take responsibility for themselves....... blame it on the bar, host/hostess etc.

I just keep hoping there wont be any snow out there

jts1
09-10-2010, 02:29 PM
LOL I dont think it is that serious. Gee give a minor 1 beer and your a bad guy...:fighting0030: Thats right bring us your children we will corrupt them all send them home with all whole bunch of new words and bad habbits...

:sEm_oops2:

baitfisher83
09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Nor should you have to be responsible. Unfortunately the courts see it differently.
People fail to take responsibility for themselves....... blame it on the bar, host/hostess etc.

I just keep hoping there wont be any snow out there

Oh no you didn't!!haha don't worry he's not THAT corruptive.

FishingMOM
09-10-2010, 02:36 PM
LOL I dont think it is that serious. Gee give a minor 1 beer and your a bad guy...:fighting0030: Thats right bring us your children we will corrupt them all send them home with all whole bunch of new words and bad habbits...

There isnt a bad word my son doesnt know.
Might have something to do with my having to bring him to work in a plumbing shop on days he's sick or the dayhome was closed.
So corrupt away my dear.

Mrsjts1
09-10-2010, 02:36 PM

lol i don't think it was that bad considering the fact that the "minor's" mom was sitting right there and allowed it. (he wasn't even that minor)

flygirrl
09-10-2010, 03:36 PM
:party0052: Here we go, cant wait to see the opinions:scared0018:

RedHeadedFisherman
09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi All,.. well got a GOOD!!! map from my nephew ( copy from Backroads mapbook) so baring sickness shoratge of $ or death lol ) I hope to be out there sat or sun.. ( no camping gear so if i stay overnight wil sleep in car lol)
cant wait to meet fellow Ao members and personaly thank DA for the good things she has said about me on this forum.:sHa_shakeshout:
dont know what food i can bring yet??:thinking-006:

DarkAisling
09-10-2010, 04:48 PM

:lol: Ya know I'm just teasing!

If you can teach him a single bad word that I haven't, it'll give you a beer (or four).

jts1
09-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Careful what you bet on girl.. That boy will go home with a few new sentences not just a few words :sign0068:

DarkAisling
09-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Careful what you bet on girl.. That boy will go home with a few new sentences not just a few words :sign0068:

I'm trying to determine if that's a challange or not. I think it might be. :lol:

He's actually driving me nuts right now (my house is not a democracy), and I just told him to pack his bags and call his father. If he comes with us, we might drag him there attached to the bumper of the trailer.

I know I can't tow a boat behind the trailer, but I wonder if I would get a ticket for towing my son behind it. Hmmm.

calgarygringo
09-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Send him to live with dad. I did that several times to our guys and they always came back whining how good it really was at our house. They only think it is bad when rules come to play.

Just a note on the weather. I know it is Alberta and still a week away but at this point it actually looks not too bad. Sunny and temps 16-17 for the weekend out that way. Nights are supposed to be not too bad until Monday and Tuesday below freezing. I think at that point it will just be the rv types so should be warm for most of the rest of us.

DarkAisling
09-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Just had a look at the campground map:
http://albertawow.com/campgrounds/Etherington_Creek/map.htm

I'd like to put a vote in for Loop B. To reduce marital strife, one of the pull through spots might be good for us. :o

DarkAisling
09-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Google map from Longview:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Longview,+Alberta,+Canada&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FZkQAwMdXPkw-SkB24ZT-7ZxUzE3ljTyJ12JWA%3BFdgCAAMd0-wq-Q&mra=ls&sll=50.688405,-114.30678&sspn=1.364244,3.562317&ie=UTF8&ll=50.445699,-114.419861&spn=0.342814,0.890579&t=h&z=11

EDIT: Note that you may have to pan to the west, as the map doesn't seem to display properly.

mudbug
09-10-2010, 11:59 PM
I guess this is a yearly outing then, when I first looked at the begining of the post I thought it was just an old thead with some new posts so I never checked it out again until today. I guess I should read things and pay attention a little better :thinking-006:

calgarygringo
09-11-2010, 06:59 AM
I wouldn't get too concerned with site size. When we were camped out there a few weeks back we walked the whole place and yes some are pull thru for those who need them but even most of the back in sites are quite wide and long so lots of room to move in and out even if it takes 20 moves. For you rookie rv' ers just remember the number one rule backing in to avoid a fight in the camp ground. If you can't see my trailer mirror I can't see what you are directing me to de either. We always laugh at the couples that get fired up at each other and mostly due to the directing person hiding behind the trailer.

calgarygringo
09-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Just as I mentioned last night about the weather it has already changed. Rain Saturday now and Sunday and freezing rain too. After that it is going to be nice and by the end of the week suntan weather. Great for a holiday week.
Here is a link for anyone who wants to check.

http://www.accuweather.com/canada-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=T0L 1H0&metric=1&set=99

WayneChristie
09-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Freezing rain, who picked that weekend Jeff? :sHa_sarcasticlol: you know that means its gonna snow. Maybe I should pack the auger and shack.

flygirrl
09-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Just as I mentioned last night about the weather it has already changed. Rain Saturday now and Sunday and freezing rain too. After that it is going to be nice and by the end of the week suntan weather. Great for a holiday week.

http://www.accuweather.com/canada-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=T0L 1H0&metric=1&set=99
:sign0176::sign0161::free-scared-smileys, Well that will do it for me. I wont be going if that is the forcast. I dont mind hauling that far ( 4 hours) if the weather is decent but not if its freezing rain. Will be snow for sure in that area.
So your on your own mr and mrs wayne LOL

DarkAisling
09-11-2010, 11:00 AM
:sign0176::sign0161::free-scared-smileys, Well that will do it for me. I wont be going if that is the forcast. I dont mind hauling that far ( 4 hours) if the weather is decent but not if its freezing rain. Will be snow for sure in that area.
So your on your own mr and mrs wayne LOL

No need to be hasty! It could (and will) change again.

flygirrl
09-11-2010, 05:22 PM
We will see!!!!!! Seriously though if its not going to be a good weekend I wont be down..

FishingMOM
09-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Snow is in the forecast for the city which means it is for sure out there.
YUCK

Thinking I might have to say Nay to this trip. New car, unsure how she handles on snowy icy roads, definately dont want to try my luck on roads I am unfamiliar with.

baitfisher83
09-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Snow is in the forecast for the city which means it is for sure out there.
YUCK

Thinking I might have to say Nay to this trip. New car, unsure how she handles on snowy icy roads, definately dont want to try my luck on roads I am unfamiliar with.

Oh come on, bring on the redneck doughnuts :lol: you'd get there eventually after spinning in circles.

omega50
09-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Most snow will be on Thursday. Should not be any deeper than a few inches.lol

Menu perhaps a nice whole decorated squirrel with a spanked scallion sash on a spruce plank

calgarygringo
09-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Don't sweat it yet. It is still a bunch of days away. It actually supposed to be sunny Friday and Saturday as well. Things can also change by the hour.
What happened to the "Alberta Outdoorsmen".

Beekahs
09-13-2010, 04:33 PM
I can't make this one, swamped at work and home. Coincidentally, my son is part of a group that is having a father / son outing on the 24th and 25th. Maybe I'll see some of you if you're still around. If any of you can pass on any information as to where I can take a few boys I would be grateful as I have no idea about the area except for the Highwood.

The Fisherman Guy
09-13-2010, 06:26 PM

.................................................. .................... ... ! & ???

... :) ..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the coffee!

tonyflyfish
09-14-2010, 09:04 AM
I was hoping to get there but doesn't look like I can-my work and some personal business have me swamped. If you see a good looking old guy with a beautiful yellow lab that will be me! If things change I will be there-I was down there last year after Ken suggested the area. I went for a weekend and stayed 10 days-those were the days. Ken will tell you the Cataract is worth the hike and so is that river that runs south further south past the road to Cataract. There are some good crown spots there also-next year?
If I don't get down I hope everyone enjoys themselves! Lindsay I miss you and the CR already!!!!

Tony and Abby

DarkAisling
09-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Well, we officially own a (nice) trailer :) We don't pick it up until Thursday night, but I'm starting to cue up everything that needs to loaded into it in the hallway. I figure I can get it loaded Thursday night in a couple of hours after the trailer comes home.

I'm hoping to wind up there behind Mr. & Mrs. JTS1, so they can choose the spot they'd like to be in for the duration of their stay before we get there: since they'll be there the longest. I'm thinking our goal is to be rolling out of here around noon, but I can't say for sure.

WayneChristie
09-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Congratulations Shelley, its about time eh? We are officially bailing on the weekend, I have too much to do here and Im not ready to dig out my snowsuit yet either. Hope you all have a good time!

calgarygringo
09-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Good to hear its official. Actually we are on vacation until the following Wednesday so if we get snowed in or stay we will almost be there forever.
We are prepared for all and trailer is loaded except for the fridge so bring on the sun, snow and rain. Saw the forecast on the news and at least Friday and Saturday are supposed to be good. Too bad I have to work and not get out until Saturday night.

jts1
09-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Seal the deal on the motor home tomorrow night. May have lost a few days due to work stuff. Not sure

flygirrl
09-15-2010, 01:22 AM
What happened to the "Alberta Outdoorsmen".

They are all in Florida casting a fly over bonefish on the florida flats:sHa_shakeshout:

As much as Id love to get down in that country and do some fishing I have decided to stay around the homestead and get some things done here. With hunting season opening this weekend I need to make sure Im caught up on the chores.

Take lots of pics/ and have a blast........

ORV
09-15-2010, 08:03 AM
congrats on the new trailer shelly.
looking forward to fishing & or camping with you guys next year.
if we get a summer that is.lol

orv.

FishingMOM
09-16-2010, 10:45 AM

YUCK mother nature isnt co-operating

S-in-Cochrane
09-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Well try as I might ... the bathroom is still not back together 100%.

So I will be trying to finish tiling instead :(

__
S

DarkAisling
09-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Well, we've got out trailer at home (will certainly do some camping together next year, Orv :)).

I'll be starting to load it pronto. We do, however have a couple of issues to resolve with our hitch and our hitch's wiring. This could slow us down tomorrow, and perhaps delay us a day.

Who else is planning to be there tomorrow?

bushman53
09-16-2010, 10:16 PM
not going to make it down for this weekend. will try and get there later next week

DarkAisling
09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
We're going to head out first thing tomorrow morning. Getting everything loaded an organized is taking longer than we thought, and I don't want to get there and be setting up in the dark. It looks like all of our wiring and hitch issues are worked out, but we've still got to go grocery shopping and a couple of loads of laundry to do :o

If anyone wants to coordinate, or put in a site request at the campground---you would like site 20, so we'll choose 21 or 22 (depending on availability, and condition ie. abundant berries or other items of concern)---let me know and we'll see what we can do. Also, if anyone wants my cell number, please use the EMAIL function to request it.

jts1
09-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I hope we have solved our staffing problem at work. We will have a responce today from IS2 some staffing place that has a guy or two with a steam ticket. That would leave me right back on track and able to have my full days off and injoy myself. If this is the case I will be ready and able tomorrow night

Fordman150
09-17-2010, 02:05 PM
I hope we have solved our staffing problem at work. We will have a responce today from IS2 some staffing place that has a guy or two with a steam ticket. That would leave me right back on track and able to have my full days off and injoy myself. If this is the case I will be ready and able tomorrow night

Just call in sick and get fishing!!!! Been there with Operator staff shortages.. sucks to have to run a place 24/7 with six guys when you need ten..

michelle
09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Can't make it out there now :( So much for fishing this year:sad0020:

calgarygringo
09-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Since it appears there will be little or hardly anyone going we had a chat and have decided instead of going there we are going to head straight to PCR when we head out on Sunday instead of end of the week as we had originally planned to go. If anyone wants to come out for a day trip or join up down there sometime in the next ten days or so feel free. We can't leave until Sunday but we are off until the 29th so have lots of time to hang out and have a few campfires, pops and maybe even fish PCR and a few other places nearby. For those who we have not met yet we are in the green Chev Silverado with an Outddorsmen trailer with the buffalo on the front.
Hopefully the weather gets better as it looks for later in the week. If anyone would like to call or check in with us we will have the cell on. Just p.m. me if you need the number.

Fishfinder
09-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Have fun everybody!! Jealous for sure. Catch lotsa fish and take care of one another. One of these days I hope to join ya"ll!
Cheers n GL:)

DarkAisling
09-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Well, we're heading to Chain now, since so many won't make it. Chain will work better for us with the playground and the stocked bows. Nice beach area, too.

WayneChristie
09-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Nice beach area, too.

Hope you didnt forget to pack your down filled bikini! hmmm that doesnt sound right for some reason :thinking-006: