PDA

View Full Version : How late do you summer fish with your boats?

briangeorge
08-28-2010, 08:38 PM
As summer comes to a close (what summer?) I am wondering how late in the fall some of my forum buds have had their boats in the lakes. And how was the fishing?
Regards:
briangeorge

Guitarplayingfish
08-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Fall fishing is ALWAYS great. I don't remember specific dates, but Fall is great for fishing. I really look forward to fly-fishing before the snow hits!

seahawkfisher
08-29-2010, 10:06 AM
november can be the best month of the year; if you have an outboard, fishing late into the season should not cause you problems (at least not for me yet...)
cheers

SushiUnagi
08-29-2010, 10:18 AM
I just got my boat last year so still a newbie and only had 1 fall season in using my boat... 2nd fall season coming up.

I remember I kept using my boat right until the end of October.. tho there were a few close calls when it got quite chilly outside and my buds been harrassing me to winterize my boat if not they will do it for me. Last year I kept my boat in our garage so it was somewhat warmer/regulated than being outdoors. This year my boat is stored outdoors so I think I might winterize it in early October or even earlier...don't want to risk any damage caused by it frozen.
Mine is a stern drive using raw water cooling...and in the process learned there is a manual drainage which I can use to drain most of the raw water out after each trip. That might be a bit of a peace of mind after each trip leading up to the colder months.

Been hearing a lot of people saying fall is awesome for fishing, just like in Spring, but fish are generally bigger and trying to put in lots of fat before the cold months ahead. Also newbie to fishing so can't say much.

npauls
08-29-2010, 12:33 PM
I picked up my new to me boat at the end of october last year and had it out 4 times in november. I decided to put it away after the last trip when we had to break through a thin layer of ice on the lake in the morning. I will probably do the same thing this year.

Nate

krazy
08-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Around my neck of the woods the closer it gets to ice on the better the fishing gets! I keep it on the truck right through hunting season or ice on - which ever comes first. :)

gramps73
08-29-2010, 02:23 PM
I will have to out it away sooner then i would like due to hunting season...
But I would have to agree the later you can fish the better it gets..

nicemustang
08-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Even with an inboard it's ok to keep it out. I had mine out until last week of october last year. Just drain everything real good everytime before you go home and then I parked it in the garage as it says much warmer in there. Who knows this year, but november we will be hunting so I probably will put it away again in Oct. Although last year we only got out once cause the weather was crap.

briangeorge
08-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the feed back gents. This is my first year as boat owner and I was just curious. I will delay winterizing as long as the weather stays nice.
Regards:
briangeorge

mooseknuckle
08-29-2010, 05:26 PM
I remember the exact date October 19th last year. Fishing was phenomenal out at wabamun. Was a little cool especially in the morning but a great day. Got home sucked up some marine antifreeze blew out some things a shot of fogging oil took out the battery. And on went the tarp. Fired right up this spring so thinking about the same thing this year. (weather pending).

rigger1
08-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Fall fishing is amazing. I fish until i can't get mt boat out ther anymore due to ice or snow which is usually mid to late november

Cal
08-30-2010, 07:20 AM
I quit fishing from my boat when I start hunting from it :lol: I dont fish alot in the fall but I've caught some nice walleye while duck hunting!

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/exophysical/041.jpg