PDA

View Full Version : Friday at Cardiff - skunked again

sunnyvalesmostwanted
08-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Took the kiddies out friday evening to Cardiff, fished a few diff spots for about 2 and a half hours

Skunked again. Been there two times now (our fist two times trying for trout locally) and have came away empty handed both times.

I really love the lake itself as it has plenty of open space along all the shorelines for the kids to fish and even sit down and play for a bit when bored but I REALLY would liek to land a few fish one of these times out.

We used our spinning rods as we usually fish slave lake a cpl times a summer (via family boat) so my tackle is fairly limited when it comes to lures probably best fo these trout. We were using spinners and spoons - no bait.

I would love to get some suggestions as I would liek to tak the kids out one more time before winter for some local trout fishing and woudl like to land a few - maybe should I use a simple bobber setup with marshmellow or cheese?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RedFisher
08-29-2010, 06:14 PM
well personally i havent had much luck with spinners at cardiff... i usually use my fly rod... since you have kids your best bet is to probably use pickle rigs ... try worms, marshmelows, power bait ( ourange or green) , maggots, corn, cheese ... try differnt things... ive noticed that the pond on the left... well if your comming from the big parking lot has got fished really hard try the other one ive always had good luck just move around the shore...

italk2u
08-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Flies really do work best at cardiff..bead head nymphs, elk hair caddis come to mind most. If you are using spinning rods...invest in a couple of casting bubbles..you fill them with water, place them about 3-4 feet above the fly and cast it out like you would a spinner, but with a much slower retrieve.

trkrstu
08-29-2010, 09:10 PM
I got skunked too at cardiff, tried several things yellow cheese marshmellows, maggots white and pink, pink fish fry, as well as fake fish eggs, fake worms but still got nothing. A guy across the water was fly fishing and got three, but I don't know what he was using. They jumped like crazy for the bugs but didn't care for anything else. Next time I go I'm taking the fly rod.:(

mudbug
09-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Try some Velveeta cheese next time :)

Geezle
09-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Well, I've never been out to Cardiff yet, but I will openly admit that I suck at catching stocked trout and I just don't know why! Well, I halfway know why...if I had a fly rod, and the ability to use it, I'm sure I'd get more of those stupid little trout!

Anyway, when I'm doing the trout thing I'll usually go through the hardware first...small spinners, small Deadly Dick or Kastmaster lures, and tiny spoons.

If I get no love on any of those then I'll switch it over to bait. Lots of people swear by Powerbait...if I'm using that stuff I prefer the marshmallows to the dough just because they're a little easier to work with, though I honestly haven't had much luck with it myself.

I've had limited success with a tiny jig with a maggot or two under a bobber in the spring, but I don't know if that will carry through the year.

I think I did my best for stocked trout a couple weeks ago, just using half of a jumbo dew worm on a bait rig about a foot and a half off the bottom.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/Phone%20pics/082110_134400.jpg