PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Rock!

GotPumP
08-29-2010, 11:21 PM
:angry3::angry3::angry3::angry3:
So I just bought my first boat (used) and let me tell ya it was "used". I payed practically nothing for it but I have put in a few solid weeks of repairs to try and get it usable enough to get some fishing done before the end of the year.

After all is said and done the boat turns out fantastic and we take it out to Crawling Valley this past Saturday. We catch a decent amount of fish, we troll in and out of the islands on the SE side where I know it can get a bit shallow and we do great. We run pretty far north just to see what's up there and come back down to the islands after an hour or so. Then after about 8 hours on the water we decide we should probably head back.

We start heading from the islands to the boat launch on the east side of the campground and all of a sudden WAAAAAM! I hit "something" completely destroying my prop all 3 blades are pretty much gone, knocking a giant chunk out of my skeg and putting a nice bend in it. I couldn't even believe it after all the running around we did to slam into a rock in the MIDDLE of the damn lake left me completely speechless. We manage to limp back to the boat launch and pull the boat out.

Now I was told Crawling Valley had some rocks to watch for over by the islands but I never expected to drill something that hard out in the middle of the lake. Wow a great day of fishing "almost" ruined. All I can say is better at the end then at the beginning. Anyways people watch the hell out when tearing around out there.

Oh and does anyone know how to re-bend my skeg back to a sort of straight line? Or know of anyone or anywhere I could take it to have it done?
:angry3::angry3::angry3::angry3:

Mulestalker
08-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Wow, that sucks man, good news is that it is repairable,I have straightened a few out by using a couple pieces of wood ,put one on each side of the bent skeg,then if you have big enough C clamps put a couple on and start applying pressure, slowly tanking the bend out.Don't try smacking it with a hammer you will bust it off,slow even pressure is the way to do it..

DarkAisling
08-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Do you happen to have the coordinates of this rock?

gramps73
08-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your prop..
Thats why I will not put my boat on this lake

Rick.
08-30-2010, 08:59 AM
I've heard Crawling Valley was built by the Outboard Retailers Association of Alberta and beyond. LOL. I don't go there either. I know Cabellas sells a replacement skeg you can bolt on as well. best of luck. Rick.

howlin
08-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Do you happen to have the coordinates of this rock?

x2 ,i remember seeing a map website on this forum that shows lake maps but i cant remember the site,i hope i can jog some memories with this post,someone must remember.

CMMahy
08-30-2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.anglersatlas.com/mapsearch/

This would be the site you're thinking of.

Usually skegs can be repaired by someone who does aluminum welding, I've also seen the missing chunks re-built using a high strength epoxy such as Devcon. Good Luck.

howlin
08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
there is another site that has more detailed topos(hydros?)but i like that site as well.had it bookmarked for some time now.

aulrich
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
another map link

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/MapsFormsPublications/Maps/PrairiesAreaBathymetryDepthMaps/ColourBathymetryMaps.aspx

Ken07AOVette
08-30-2010, 01:19 PM
If you know someone with a tig welder they can heat it and easily bend it back into shape, no chance of cracking. Also, make sure you leave the oil in the bottom end, it will help to make sure the bearings don't cook.

What size prop? I may have a spare you can have.

freeones
08-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Most everyone is aware of the reefs and rocks along the east side adn takes it easy, but it still claims boats every year. I've watched that exact reef you hit claim plenty of boats, even back when they used to have a huge orange marker buoy on it. The one straight out and just north of the marina claims its share too.

CV is definitely the Sable Island of Alberta lol.

All damage can be repaired, it's just a matter of $$$.

crazyfish
08-30-2010, 02:12 PM
B.O.A.T = bring out another thousand ! :scared0015:

Sorry about your luck, very frustrating ! There are more than just that lake as well to have "surprises" in it ! Lk St Anne comes to mind, wabamun, gooodfish,whitefish etc ! The best money i ever spent was to buy a good fishfinder, it will show you the depth at all times, even when running fast, watch it often, it will show you when the bottom is dropping off, or coming up. Also set the depth alarm on it to let it give you a bit of warning!

My kids also like to waterski, so if we go to a lake i'm not familiar with, i take a few minutes and just wander around at medium speed to get a good feel for the lake, then your less likely to find the surprises!

howlin
08-30-2010, 02:41 PM
yep srd website,heres the one for crawling [url]http://http://www.srd.alberta.ca/MapsFormsPublications/Maps/PrairiesAreaBathymetryDepthMaps/documents/crawling.pdf

mszomola
08-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Small world , it must have been you i towed to shore. I was the one with the white and red skeeter. Hope everything turned out okay , i know how crappy it can be to get the surprise of the lifetime while your cruising at a good speed.

I dont know of any repairs here only because im new but i did know a good repair back home in ontario. he may be able to suggest something as well.

did you just break off your skeg ? or is the whole lower end destroyed. Did you have the throttle going even during impact ? this could be the worst result and your gears would be mashed.

edit* sorry , i see you mentioned the prop got eaten up . I would get my insurance on this one. I'm pretty sure this can be covered .. if not a mechanic will be able to work the papers to get you this done mostly if not entirely on insurance .

GotPumP
08-30-2010, 05:47 PM
No I didn't get towed back :) as soon as it hit I killed the engine and pulled it out of the water to see the damage. To my surprise the skeg was still intact just a small maybe 1x1 inch chunk knocked out of the bottom and it was bent a little. All 3 blades on my prop we chewed beyond repair. I appreciate the offer to toss me one if you had it but I already ordered a new one today.

I don't think there was any serious gear damage because I did make it back to shore and seemed to be running surprisingly well considering the damage to the blades on my prop.

I didn't get the coordinates of the rock I was in a bit of shock that it happened in the first place sorry. :(

I've been out to Crawling Valley three times and always had a great day, but now I seriously doubt I will ever go back. I plan to hit up PCR this weekend if everything is working by then. Is there any major "obstacles" I should be aware of out at PCR?

Thanks for suggestions on the skeg repair I will see what I can get done.