PDA

View Full Version : First Time fishing for Whites

formykids
08-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Yesterday morning I packed up my two kids and we decided to try and catch some whitefish by floating down the Red Deer in our rubber boat. What a blast we had we picked a section below the damn and went areound 12 km on the river in 5 hours and had an absolute blast and ran into a mess of hungry Whites... biting on everything from flys to panther martins and most of which were more then my kids could handle on there own. The biggest one we caught was 23" and just over 5lbs ... never fished for WHites before and not sure if they were good ones or not but what blast they were to fish for!!!

Beekahs
08-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Great fish and it looks like everyone had a great day.

WayneChristie
08-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Looks like a great time, I miss fishing for them. if you got a 5 pounder plus you did great, since the record isnt much over 5 pounds.

Albertafisher
08-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Nice catch! Looks like fish #1 is a goldeye....

Fisher_man#1
08-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Yesterday morning I packed up my two kids and we decided to try and catch some whitefish by floating down the Red Deer in our rubber boat. What a blast we had we picked a section below the damn and went areound 12 km on the river in 5 hours and had an absolute blast and ran into a mess of hungry Whites... biting on everything from flys to panther martins and most of which were more then my kids could handle on there own. The biggest one we caught was 23" and just over 5lbs ... never fished for WHites before and not sure if they were good ones or not but what blast they were to fish for!!!

Did you catch any other species trout, walleye, pike?

formykids
08-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Well I have been humbled and learned something very valuable in the process here.. I had never fished for either goldeye or whitefish and made a huge mistake in the identification... we caught goldeye all day, we do not keep fish if we can at all help it and did not keep any at all that day, although we could have... Thank you for pointing out that we had caught goldeye. I am going back tonight without kids to have a go at them once again ...

huntin'fool
08-30-2010, 01:44 PM
The first picture is of a goldeye. More than likely the majority of what you caught were Goldeye. The second picture is however, a Rocky Mountain Whitefish. Observe the adipose fin. That is one Huge rocky!!!!!!

the local angler
08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
wow thats incredible man its been so long since i last heard of someone catching whites on the red deer.