PDA

View Full Version : September pike - tips?

outdoors forever
08-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Any tips on fishing pike in September? Where to fish in the lake, what to use ( spoons? ), how deep, etc.
My father-in-law and and are going to Snipe Lake next week, and I want to know what our best methods for success are. Lesser Slave has got TERRIBLY slow the past few weeks, so we want to finish out the season with some big pike.

EZM
08-31-2010, 09:13 AM
As the water temp lowers below 62-65 the pike move back into shallower water. Slow down the presentations (retrieve speeds) and you will get onto some nice snot monsters.

Same rules apply - cover, weed lines (under water) structure and baitfish as always.

Typically big plugs, baits, spinners work in early spring and get smaller as the year wears on. During the summer smaller spinners and spoons work a little better. I stay on smaller plugs, spoons and spinners in the fall and do pretty good.

TexasTornado
09-01-2010, 10:12 AM
All Locations are in transition. The lake is turning over, decreased daylight is causing weed growth to die off, weather is more unpredictable, and baitfish are on the move. In this time of rapid change, the key is to abandon any spring/summertime location patterns, become as versatile as possible, and be prepared to "run and gun". This time of the season can produce very large fish, as they chase baitfish, in an effort to prepare for winter. The feeding patterns of Northerns generally relate to light conditions, and although fall time sees daylight hours rapidly diminishing, feeding patterns can be intense and frenzied. The key is locating actively feeding fish.

bikerman
09-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Very good advice to gun-and-run. Five of Diamonds trolling at varying speeds. Good luck.

outdoors forever
09-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. A buddy of mine caught a 21 lb pike out of Snipe a week and a half ago - I can't wait for Saturday!

Good luck to the other fall fishermen out there!