PDA

View Full Version : pike this time of year, Coal or Mayatan?

kingkongpennock
08-31-2010, 11:33 PM
my brother and I were thinking of taking our belly boats and spin rods to catch some pike in a few days. a nice change from trout fly fishing all season. we have 2 lakes in mind. Coal lake which is closer for us, and mayatan lake. So I was wondering if coal is good this time of year? or would mayatan be a better bet? As for gear, we have all the rapalas, spoons, jigs, spinners, ect. that anyone could have.

Fishin' Fool
08-31-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't know much about Coal, but Mayatan is usually good for a bunch of medium pike. If belly-boating, I would suggest heading across from the launch, past the point and going to the right to the submerged timber.

Mayatan is amazingly clear, which can make for some cool moments. I remember some years ago, I was casting a minnow under a bobber as far as I could cast and watching 4 pike circling the bait. Another time, the finder said I was in about 24 feet of water and I could watch jackfish coming in to slam my jig that was inches off thebottom.

hope this helps,

FF

timsesink
09-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Coal is really scuzzy right now I would go somewhere else.

kingkongpennock
09-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Coal is really scuzzy right now I would go somewhere else.

We don't really mind scuzzyness. We just want to know if we would catch more pike at coal, or at mayatan.

FishingFrenzy
09-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Scuzzy is an understatement for Coal... whatever you do don't go near the launch with a belly boat! you will sink up to your knees in mud that smells...god awful! Also once you got on the water your legs would quickly get caught in the weeds. It also smells pretty bad this time of year... But the fact of the matter is Coal is loaded with small pike. Easy to catch 20 fish or more in a couple hours. If you decide to go there drive off the highway into the makeshift parking lot and follow the "road" through the farmers field until you cant go any further. There;s a small area there where i guess you could launch a belly boat.. but understand you will sink in the mud. Never fished mayatan. Coal is much much much better in spring/early summer before weeds grow in.

Good luck and tightlines!

kingkongpennock
09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
okay, you convinced me to try mayatan lake instead of coal. I have sunk a good bit into lakes before. Not knowing if my fins are still on my feet,or if they are still in the mud (e.g., Chickacoo). But I don't feel like doing that again this year. Mayatan it is.

kingkongpennock
09-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Coal is much much much better in spring/early summer before weeds grow in.

That's what I have been hearing too.

PoorTurtle
09-03-2010, 08:54 AM
I was at Coal 2 weeks ago and we just nailed a ton of Jacks. there are lots of handles and some monsters too. we got a 8#, 12#, 15# and had a 4 footer to the boat 3 times before it did a 360 around a weed and got off. It was the biggest Jack i have ever seen.
If you go there dont us the boat launch, drive to the east side across from the launch and go south as far as you can, then launch from there.
good luck.

FishingFrenzy
09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
You got a 15lber at coal??? WOW! Any chance you'd be willing to tell what part of the lake you caught em in? biggest pike i have got out of there was 64cm and maybe 5lbs