PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Metis busted

steelhead
10-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Thought I would share. It seems theyre not afraid to lay charges.

March 12, 2007

THREE PEOPLE FINED $2,325 AFTER UNSUCCESSFULLY CLAIMING Métis HARVESTING RIGHTS

COCHRANE — Two men and one woman, who claimed Métis harvesting rights, have been fined $2,325 after being convicted of illegal hunting or fishing in four separate cases.

In the first case, René Dubeault, 48, and his wife Christine Dubeault, 46, both of Cochrane, were fined $500 each for hunting moose without a licence. They forfeited two moose to the Crown and the court placed each of them on probation for two years.

In the second case, Rene Dubeault was convicted of hunting moose without a licence and was fined an additional $1,000. He also permanently forfeits one high-powered firearm.

In the third and fourth cases, Donald Dubeault, 37, of Cochrane, was fined $125 and $200, respectively, for two counts of angling without the appropriate licence.

Although all of the defendants are members of the Ontario Métis Aboriginal Association, the court determined that this alone was insufficient to assert Aboriginal rights.

Justice of the Peace Jean-Marie Blier heard the case in Ontario Court of Justice, Cochrane, on March 8, 2007 and ruled that none of the three defendants met the test for Métis harvesting rights, as required by the Supreme Court of Canada ruling of R. v. Powley.

This test includes the requirement that a claimant demonstrate membership in a contemporary Métis community that has a distinctive collective identity associated with the Métis culture and which has people living together in the same geographic area and sharing a common way of life. This contemporary community must have continuity with an historic Métis community that came into existence in a geographic area prior to effective European control in the area, which is a date that can change from place to place across the province.

Individual membership in a Métis community is based on self-identification, an ancestral connection to the historic Métis community and proof of community acceptance demonstrated by solid bond, past and present, to the community. Membership in a Métis political organization may not, in and of itself, be sufficient.

Only those customs or practices that are integral to the distinctive historic and present day culture of the Métis community are protected rights and site specific aboriginal rights can only be exercised in the geographic area associated with the community.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

February 27, 2006

BLOOD AND HAIR IN VEHICLE REVEALED ILLEGAL HUNT

PETERBOROUGH - An Indian River resident whose car had fresh blood and deer hair inside has been fined $1,300 for illegal hunting.

Mark Clapper, 40, was fined $1,000 for shooting an antlerless deer without a licence and $300 for unlawful possession of the same animal.

Court heard that a Ministry of Natural Resources Bancroft District conservation officer, while checking archery hunters in Burleigh Township, on December 12, 2004, found fresh blood and deer hair in Clapper's vehicle. Clapper, who identified himself as Métis, said the blood and hair was from a deer he killed in 2003. Investigation revealed he had killed an antlerless deer the previous weekend without a valid tag and taken it home.

Claiming Métis status is not sufficient to give a person the right to hunt or fish without a licence. A successful Métis claim will require substantial evidence, including proof of an ancestral connection to a local historic Métis community.

Justice of the Peace Mike O'Toole heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Peterborough, on February 9, 2006.

Call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time to report a natural resources violation or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

June 8, 2005

FINED FOR FISHING IN SANCTUARY

PEMBROKE - Two Arnprior men who said membership in a Métis organization gave them the right to fish in a sanctuary when it was closed have been fined a total of $1,200.

Robert J. Massicotte, 32, and Robert J. Racicot, 49, of the Ontario Métis Aboriginal Association, were charged after a Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officer found them fishing the Madawaska River fish sanctuary during the closed season in the spring of 2001.

Racicot pleaded guilty to angling in a fish sanctuary and having no fishing licence and was fined $450. Massicotte, who pleaded not guilty, was convicted of identical charges and fined $750.

Justice of the Peace Brian McKay heard the cases on May 27, 2005, in the Ontario Court of Justice, Pembroke.

The public is encouraged to report fishing violations to their local ministry office or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

I hope it chatches on here

Steelhead

Dick284
10-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Well if it does'nt get appealed and over turned it pretty much sums up Powley in a practical context.
This is what will seperate and define the ability of Metis to calim legitamate status.
I wonder what Audry has to say about this?

Jamie
10-03-2007, 06:59 PM
I know what Audrey will say

Well!!! Lethbridge and Medicine hat are traditional Metis lands.. As well as the Banff area and Drumheller. :lol: :lol: :lol: Come to think of it all of Canada is traditional Metis land.. Watch out Newfoundland and PEI.:lol: :lol:

Good on Ontario for dealing with this. Lets start confiscating some guns and equipment. Then we will see just how many Metis in Alberta are willing to step up and start poaching. And thats EXACTLY what it is now that the Alberta Gov has put in new rules. POACHING!!!

Jamie

Tuc
10-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Looks good on em...

Watch out Newfoundland and PEI.

If they started this BS in NFLD, there might be a few less Metis around.

TreeGuy
10-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Looks good on em...

If they started this BS in NFLD, there might be a few less Metis around.

Are you referring to the bounty of the past?:evilgrin:

Tree

outlaw'd
10-03-2007, 10:41 PM
If they started this BS in NFLD, there might be a few less Metis around.[/QUOTE]

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this supposed to mean. You don't like a certain group of people, or even just a few bad apples, its ok to " get rid of them "? Didn't Hitler start out this way.

Boss442
10-04-2007, 07:36 AM
I thought all of the Maritimes was treaty status? 99.9% on welfare, the rest work two weeks a year and on EI the rest, and free education for all thru social services...........Now there's a bunch of sorry *****e$ that could use subsistance hunting!! :wave:

209x50
10-04-2007, 08:25 AM
I thought all of the Maritimes was treaty status? 99.9% on welfare, the rest work two weeks a year and on EI the rest, and free education for all thru social services...........Now there's a bunch of sorry *****e$ that could use subsistance hunting!! :wave:

Been waiting for a while to fire that shot haven't you boss? (grin) "All comes to those who wait".... which means I'll never have nothing!

Boss442
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
What no comments from the usual peanut gallery?

Tuc
10-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Gheez Boss, are you saying us Maritimers are something like the folks out here doing all the whining? :cry: .... Gimme a break! :lol: .....:D

Well excuse my grade 3 sorry ***** Boss but I for one have never asked for or taken a handout in my entire life. You see Maritimers have more pride than some of them high flyin ;) gimme folks out this way. (if ya catch my drift) ;)

Boss I worked in corrections with your kind before and got tired of hearing over paid lazy ***** guards whine about their babysitting jobs. All I ever seen them do was sit on their big fat *****es, read books, eat ( I was always chasing them outta the kitchen) and complain about having to look after low scum for $30 and hour. Pooooooor me.
I remember one fellow who was constantly and constantly boo whooing about his job so I 'front up' told him to quit if it were that bad, lots of guys out there looking to take your place. Well I thought the poor fellow was going to hit the ceiling, was the fastest I ever seen him move.:lol:

Rich, was that a shot to compliment Boss's? Hell, if it hadn't been for us Maritimers Alberta wouldn't be the province it is today and I for one am DAMN proud of the work we did out here!! :D (bite me)

Boss on a closing note, don't get the fishing industry mixed up with the rest of the Maritimes, of course by your comments, I can see you wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Part of the peanut Gallery....:wave:

Boss442
10-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey Tuc I've only been doing this gig for about ten years now (had a real job for 20 years before) journeyman mechanic, and 10 years in the reserves. Believe me I know how sweet this job is!! Don't be a hater just cause you were making $7.95 as a cook for "VERSA" foods. I think they pay about $10-11hr now, not anyone elses fault your in a ***** profession. As far as whiney guards, we do sit around alot, but we get paid fo what can and does happen, maybe not on a daily occurance but violent, ugly, sick things do happen, ever seen a man's scull crushed by a dumb bell with blood and brain matter plastered all over, as well as stabbings, and beatings. Would you have the nuts to stand up to some of these guys?

Tuc
10-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, well, well if it's not the "Big Boss Man".

You got your wires crossed bud, I never worked for Versa and I wasn't making $7.95 an hour at my ***** profession. Don't spew facts you know nothing of. Oh, and I seen how you boys operate. As a matter of fact I too seen it all, right in the kitchen, so you haven't impressed me yet Boss. :rolleyes:
Would you have the nuts to stand up to some of these guys? Did you mean 'alone'.
No and neither would you without for buddies and equipment.
Boss, you don't know me and have no idea where I come from. The reason I know longer work in corrections because I couldn't get along with the power tripping guards who thought there ***** didn't stink. I met more young steroid grown punks with the greater than thou attitude that it turned me sick to my stomach. I actually got along better with the inmates than I did with the screws. Some of them admitted wrong and wanted to change but I never seen one guard that gave a rats azz. I had enough of jailhouse politics with the judge, jury and executioner mentality.

Anyrate, sorry for hijacking your thread Steelhead and Boss if you have anymore to whine about, feel free to PM me.:D

Boss442
10-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Yep those minimum security kitchen crews are real dangerous, and whether it was Versa foods, Aramark or Compass thier all the same.

Let me guess!!...................I know your type all to well too, what you last at the job for probably 3 weeks shaking in your boots every second you were in the building.........then had to quit because the inmates were muscling you to bring stuff in for them!! Guys like you are a dime a dozen, get 100's of applications from people looking to get out of a kitchen at 7-11 making patato wedges and chicken nugets every month..........don't feel bad it's just not cut out for everyone!!

brownbomber
10-05-2007, 02:32 AM
holy cow boys that's some funny stuff. maritimers and subsitence hunting, haha holy potatos. not saying that all maritimers are lazy i have a uncle that's a maritimer or is it my coworker, i can't remember but he told me he gets a good boat and a bucket of cod from the government every year, i'm just calling a spade a spade and would like to know who pays for that bucket of cod?? why can't the maritimers be like the rest of canadians and get their own bucket??

seriously now this is a funny disagreement. if you worked for versa i have some issues i would like to discuss. i lived in dorms in my first year at u of a and the versa food was awful and dangerous. i remember writing a comment card that samonella ain't a fish in the ocean. but is it true that the newfies who didn't immigrate here get free education on ei benefits? didn't know that.

alberta would be the way it is with or without the refu...i mean maritimers. somebody else would have come, simple as that somebody else could have and would have done it. :wave:

but this has easily been one of the best flame wars i have seen on the board in a long time, prison guards and cooks and implications of murderous intentions and questioning of nuts and statements of albertan sucess due to the influx of maritimers. oh yeah and bounties. all that's missing is accusations of donkey thievery and drunken debauchery.

Boss442
10-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Brownbomber you make me laugh:lol:

Tuc I forgot to ask you what you do know? Sounds like your a bit of an inmate lover, you may have a future with the Feds, give them big screen tv's streaks 3x a day, computers and golf courses for the poor individuals!! This province runs Jails..........Not country clubs!!

50BMG
10-05-2007, 06:51 AM
This province runs Jails..........Not country clubs!!

Ummmm...if you ask any American that has been locked up here...yes we do.