PDA

View Full Version : Kananaskis trip.

Raptor
09-01-2010, 02:38 PM
The Kananaskis trip was great. Haven't been there in a while and a lot has changed. Went to Upper K and caught 2 cutties about 15 inches. they were swimming two feet off shore and jumping like they haven't been fed in a while. Threw a caddis and caught a couple of 15 inch cutties.
Next day, my boy and I were fishing Opal creek by log jam and decided it was time to head back to the truck. Dark was coming on. Just get back to truck and put the rods in the box. My son gets in the front passenger side of truck and I go around to drivers side. I open back door and put waders in the back. Just as I close the door and reach for the drivers side door, out of the bush comes a big black wolf with grey face. I'm talking BIG, maybe 125lbs plus, (I know their hair makes them look bigger) thick and huge head. He stops immediately not 5 feet from me. I think he was a surprised :free-scared-smileysto see me as I was him. My son said that I said "Hello", I don't recall that, but I did say something and I also froze. He looked at me for about 10 seconds and then ran right past me, brushing my leg with his tail. That was the closest I have ever been to a live wolf and for some reason I wasn't scared. A pretty great experience I will remember always. My son was really impessed with how big of strides they take when running.
The following day we are in camp. (Mt. Kidd) We are sitting down by the river watching golfers go by and just talking when out strolls 2 - two year old grizzlies. They were getting there fill of berries just off the golf course and we watched for a bit. They paid no attention to us. Must have just been kicked out from momma. One had radio collar on. Figures I didn't have a camera. Later that day I heard that a sow griz walked right down the playground area at 4:30 in the afternoon. Everyone just gave her room and she strolled on by. Saw two blacks as well.
Fished Opal Creek log jam and had a blast. Brookies ( and Browns I have been corrected on) :dork:and whitefish. Bull were there but wouldn't bite. Got on top of log jam and see schools of fish in the water but wouldn't bite what I was offering. Decided to go back next morning with my flies and hits right away. Caught some brookies and a couple of whitefish. There is nothing like stream fishing. Walking the creeks and being at one with nature. How good is that.
Can't wait to go back.

Russ C
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Good report sounds like a real memorable trip for both you, and your son.

Bow flyman
09-01-2010, 04:56 PM
That is an amazing story about the wolf encounter. The only wild wolf I ever saw was a very similar encounter to yours. I was salmon fishing at Port Alberni on vancouver island. At night back at the camping area, I went to put some gear into the back of the truck. I hear a bush rustle and turn around to see this tall, lanky and angular, silvery haired dog. Only it is to big to be a dog and is only about 8 feet away from me. It lopes of casually into the forest and disappears that quickly. I know it was a wolf, for certain, but try and think of stray dogs, etc. to explain it. I simply could not believe I would ever see a wild wolf that close, being surprised like that. In any case, the kananaskis really is a wonderful area. I have spent a lot of time there. Lots of nice trout to catch. It is even more fun for the younger folk to enjoy such wild parks like we have in Alberta.

TheBatman
09-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Sounds like you had an amazing time.
How would one find his way to "Log Jam" I see the sign on Highway 40 for Opal. Do I turn there?
Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Josh