PDA

View Full Version : bug id

WayneChristie
09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
The mooneyes have been going nuts on these things the last week or so, can any of you fly fishers tell me what it is and what fly replicates them? Thanks.
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/Rolling_Hillbilly/August%2030%202010/DSCF0556.jpg

Frost1545
09-01-2010, 05:47 PM
mayfly!

gramps73
09-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Looks like that thing form Avatar..

WayneChristie
09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
they look like little dragons, and when they crawl out of the old skin they fly around dragging it behind them. actually kind of beautiful to see.

flyguyd
09-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I would try a pale morning or pale evening dun

TroutHunter
09-01-2010, 06:54 PM
I would try a pale morning or pale evening dun

X2

flygirrl
09-01-2010, 08:20 PM
X2
my vote also

uicehole
09-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Parachute PMD in cream!

pikester
09-01-2010, 09:47 PM
They are indeed a type of mayfly, Ephoron leukon to be exact. They are very cool mayflies usually hatching in the early evening, they immediately fly to shore landing on trees, bushes,people, etc. where they wriggle out of their skins changing from duns to spinners. The spinners then take to the skies in short order in mating flight. Shortly after that into dark they lay their eggs & fall to the water spent. Talk about accomplishing a lot in a short amount of time!
http://www.wiflyfisher.com/ephoron-leukon-mayfly-hatch.asp

The interesting thing about these mayflies is that all the information I can find on these guys lists their distribution in Eastern North America, not the west so I'm not sure how they ended up here? I have spent many memorable evenings pounding goldeyes on white flies on the lower Red Deer.

As far as flies to use, like other guys have said a size #14-#16 PMD pattern works good. Try the parachute patterns if you can get them. Also a little harder to find commercially is #14 tan coloured emerger pattern as the fish (even goldeyes & mooneyes!) can get picky & show a preference for the emergers especially early in the hatch. I am also planning on experimenting with drifting nymphs under an indicator early in the hatch & pre-hatch to dredge up some more fishies!

Retired
09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info... going to Drumheller on Tuesday ....hope the hatch and action are still hot

WayneChristie
09-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Thank you for the info, have to see if I can find some of those flies mail order I guess, might have to save them til next season if the hatch doesnt last that long. They are a real sight, the whole width of the Bow was just covered with them and there were fish taking them in every direction. Now with the wind tonight they all might be in the east again where they belong :)

pikester
09-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Thank you for the info, have to see if I can find some of those flies mail order I guess, might have to save them til next season if the hatch doesnt last that long. They are a real sight, the whole width of the Bow was just covered with them and there were fish taking them in every direction. Now with the wind tonight they all might be in the east again where they belong :)

Where are you located Wayne? You should be able to find adequate patterns in Calgary at TFH or Wholesale I would think.

WayneChristie
09-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Im 2 1/2 hours from Calgary south of Brooks, not much in the way of sporting goods around here :) Might just order some from the ad at the top of the page, I see them have them. I would be using them with a bobber since Im a hardware chucker, I have caught some with other fly patterns I have that way, but the way they were sucking those hatches down Id be worn out by the time the hatch finished even with the little Mooneyes. they are an awesome little fish.

jts1
09-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Im 2 1/2 hours from Calgary south of Brooks, not much in the way of sporting goods around here :) Might just order some from the ad at the top of the page, I see them have them. I would be using them with a bobber since Im a hardware chucker, I have caught some with other fly patterns I have that way, but the way they were sucking those hatches down Id be worn out by the time the hatch finished even with the little Mooneyes. they are an awesome little fish.

Yiou want something let me know. I can grab it for ya.

pikester
09-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Ah I see why the fishing stores are not very convenient for you. I can't say for sure but I seem to recall those flies might hatch for a couple weeks. It will be heavier some nights than others of course depending mostly on the weather. Also, the general rule of thumb is that the hatch slowly moves upstream as time progresses so if the spot you are fishing seems to fade out in terms of the flies hatching you might bump into them again if you drive 5 or 10 miles upriver. Just a thought.

ericlin0122
09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
PMD
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/4759031054_4559d8135d_b.jpg

pikester
09-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Just as a footnote, I did a little more research & there is a sub-species of Ephoron called E. album which does in fact live in Western North America so I guess they belong here after all! Not that it changes the patterns you use but some of the amature entomologists aka bug geeks (like me!) might like an accurate reference ;)

hacman
09-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Looks like a coffin fly. Usually a heavy hatch in Lethbridge on the Oldman R. in late summer.

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/060401fotw.php

tacklerunner
09-02-2010, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=WayneChristie;670094]Im 2 1/2 hours from Calgary south of Brooks, not much in the way of sporting goods around here :) Might just order some from the ad at the top of the page, I see them have them. QUOTE]

That would be my recommendation. You could probably get them in a week. Also, he supplies some UFA stores as well. Might be his "packs" only. Not sure if UFA carries individual flies.

fisherwoman
09-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I've bought flies from here.
www.flyshack.com
Shipping is relatively quick, (but i doubt fast enough for the hatch) and flies are 84 cent a piece. Any fly, any size!