PDA

View Full Version : Badger Reservoir

Respect the Resource
09-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey all Rick here,I'm fairly new to southern alberta and hooked on the pike,I am wondering about Badger Reservoir. I've heard that it has a boat launch but is it paved? I've been out to McGregor, Travers and CV. Really like CV and I'm sure the other two be better with less recreational traffic. I've looked at Badger with google earth and it looks really good. Any insight into this lake would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

gordfishing
09-01-2010, 08:32 PM
try Clear Lake east of Stavely, great for ice fishing too

WayneChristie
09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. Im pretty sure the launch is not paved, but someone else will know for sure.
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/MapsFormsPublications/Maps/PrairiesAreaBathymetryDepthMaps/documents/badger.pdf

Braun
09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
whoa wayne where did you get that map

pikester
09-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Yup you're right it does look good. Problem is unless you're one of the locals or you fish there all summer & are one of those "You just gotta know where the big 'uns are..." guys then Badger is pretty much fishing like crap for the average guy. There are TONS of good looking weedbeds, dropoffs, points, & holes in there but I have pounded them all for a season & a half now & have very little to show for it except a couple broken leaders & dozens of hammerhandles.

My advice is to try & get ahold of one of these guys & offer to buy them breakfast, supper & beer in exchange for a day of their guiding services.

tacklerunner
09-02-2010, 07:43 AM
I've heard guys troll along the north wall in the summer but have never summer fished it personally. Most of my luck on hard water has been on the south end. There's LOTS of 20 - 30 lbers in there but they are elusive. Only managed 1 over 20 lbs myself. Go to the hotel/bar in Lomond and ask them would be my advice.

Respect the Resource
09-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks very much to everyone for all the feedback. It is apreciated. Hopefully I can come up with some pics, After all the good advice.
TAKE FRIDAY OFF WORK AND GO FISHING IT IS GOING TO BE A NICE DAY. I AM.

WayneChristie
09-02-2010, 09:35 PM
whoa wayne where did you get that map

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/MapsFormsPublications/Maps/PrairiesAreaBathymetryDepthMaps/

Bow flyman
09-02-2010, 11:16 PM
I found the same thing with Badger lake. Fly fished it for a decade before I got my 20 pounder. The real telling figure is my second largest pike, only 32 inches and about 8 pounds. All the rest were smaller. Many, many hammer handles. Nowadays, a 26 incher is a really good pike for me at badger. Its too bad, but I only get down there about once a season, so I dont expect a whole lot, anymore.

bubba 96
09-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Yes Badger has a boat launch but its not the best launch, most times you need a 4x4.....