PDA

View Full Version : Blackstone River

flyfisherman
09-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I am planning a trip to the blackstone river this weekend and I was hoping someone would be able to provide some driving directions from Edmonton.
Also if anyone could recommend a few flies to try using it would be much appreciated.

ecsuplander
09-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Several ways to get there, Red Deer west to Nordegg and then north on the FTR or west past Evansburg then south on 22 to Rocky Mtn House then west to Nordegg or west paast Calmar to 22 then same as above. There is construction north of Rocky which is very slow. Mr buddy oufished me with small spoons vs flies but Idid catch some bulls on nymphs. Every corner pool held bulls but nothing huge. Beautiful water. Good luck.

Rockyman
09-03-2010, 08:36 PM
If you go west past Evansburg you are too far west. Go west on 16 and turn south either at the road to Genesse or Tomahawk. South to just west of Rocky and then an hour east to Nordegg. Go north on the FTR and you can either go right up to the Blackstone where it is crossed by the FTR or find the road that goes to Beaver Flats and fish in that area. Further up river is good too but the roads can be a bit confusing.

Standard cutty flies will all work but be prepared to experiment a bit. Bring some beadheads and fish below a big dry or a strike indicator.

87stocker
04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
I know this is old but I thought id provide some insight. If you are coming from Edmonton. Go to Entwhisle, head south to Drayton Valley...... or go to Leduc and head west to Drayton valley.

Once in Drayton Valley head out past the Brazeau Dam. If its a quiet day there is a road that cuts off just before the Nordegg River you head west on the Lyda Logging road. If its not a quiet logging day head towards Nordegg on this same road. Then head north on the Trunk Road to the same location.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Head south on the trunk road 10.5 kms from the bridge over the blackstone to another logging road and cut west. You will eventually come to a t intersection, head right. You will come upon another small bridge over the blackstone. I have never caught any fish here so dont even bother. JK.:) Chungo creek outfitters is at the top of the hill right after the camp site. Head up stream from here and your mind will be blown by the scenery and deep pools full of Brookies. PM me with any more questions or if you ever need a fishing partner. Im in.

skykomish sunrise
04-22-2013, 09:15 PM
regs my friends..just makin sure

338Bluff
04-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Lots must have changed since I fished it last. Usually lots of cutts and small bulls. I don't recall a lot of brookies. Used to catch good numbers of brook trout in Lookout Creek and Sturrock. Odd one in the lower Wapiabi. Not so many in the Blackstone.