PDA

View Full Version : What brand of chainsaw to buy

Sitting Bull
10-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi everybody.
Looking at buying a new chainsaw and would like to know what you all are using. I currently have a Stihl 009. It has been ok but need something bigger.
Do you prefer Husky or Sthil, man I cant spell either one tonight.What do you recommend and why.
Thanks.

Guy.

Timberj
10-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I used a big husky for years out in BC, would cut about 15 cord a year. Moved to Alberta and didn't have the same amount of wood requirements. My Husky got crunched in a sad incident (brother chucked a log on it...) so replaced it with a Stihl. It works great for the amount I need it, but doesn't compare with the Husky. Husky runs a lot higher rpm, but weighs more....and costs more than the Stihl. If I were to do it again today, I would drop the extra money and go Husky again....

Rockymtnx
10-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I like the Stihl name. Good quality products that last.
If you buy a Stihl saw before October 31 you get a free case, hat and spare chain.

altaberg
10-03-2007, 08:19 PM
X2 on the Stihl, very good quality and reliable

Roughneck71
10-03-2007, 08:23 PM
hey man ive run a saw for 10 years everyday for my living now STIHL no questions asked. better warranty, price,tougher,price. they have alot of sizes to choose from. stihl always has good deals on. good luck.
Darrell

Young Eldon
10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
There are only three to choose from Stihl, Shindawa (A very good Japanese copy of Husky but few dealers) and Husky to choose from - all the others are crap.

Skinnydipper
10-03-2007, 08:53 PM
I have several Stihl's as well...........very good results for me as well.

stubblejumper
10-03-2007, 09:00 PM
My Stihl has performed well for me.

j m
10-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I like the Stihl name. Good quality products that last.
If you buy a Stihl saw before October 31 you get a free case, hat and spare chain.

I got the 290 on this deal. Larger displacment with a short bar (16") has lots of jam at a decent price. It is heavier but power increase makes up for that. Broke it in last week with aprox 1 cord of firewood and 400 yds of quad trail so far without a burp. Wouldn't have gotten my elk out without it :D .

I used Stihls at work for 10 yrs and they were a very dependable saw. I have nothing against the other brands but know this one and am happy with it.

crestliner192
10-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Another vote for stihl.

If your not worried about the price i would buy the MS 260 pro saw, i bought the MS 250 last year, and wish i would of spent a littel more and got the 260 but i still like my MS 250 and have had no problems.

TreeGuy
10-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Hi everybody.
Looking at buying a new chainsaw and would like to know what you all are using. I currently have a Stihl 009. It has been ok but need something bigger.
Do you prefer Husky or Sthil, man I cant spell either one tonight.What do you recommend and why.
Thanks.

Guy.

Hey Guy. All I can say is Stihl, Stihl, Stihl! If you want to pay over $1200, then you'll get a decent Husky, otherwise.....:tongue2:

I have averaged over the past 10+ years, cutting and blocking about 200 cords a year. Huskys are great when they run well. When they run well, is whenever they damn well feel like running well! I'm kindda stuck with using them at work these days, and unless I'm using our big 575XP, they drive me bonkers. Will not, can not maintain an idle (amongst other things).

My 'off the ground' saw is a Stihl MS200 top handle. It will idle in ANY position until it runs out of gas. Lots of power for a small saw and I've just had my first mechanical issue with it this week (after 2 years of everyday use), my oiler plugger and no matter what I tried, I couldn't free it up. At the same time, I was going through oil, so I think that on one of its 'drops' I cracked the tank in conjunction with the plugged oil line.

If you were running the bottem of the line 009, then try the woodpro package with the MS170. Under $300 for the saw and kit. It is the new version of the 017 that was my first saw that cut over 500 cord of wood without seeing an hour of shop time. It tragically met its end a couple years back from a 65' drop onto concrete.:cry: It stihl sits in my garage until I can decide on a proper taxidermist to put my olod friend on the wall in a full body mount!:rolleyes:

Buy Stihl!
Tree

troutfly
10-03-2007, 11:42 PM
+1 for the Stihl. I bought the MS 170 a couple of years ago. Works great for what I use it for, mainly around camp and some light trail clearing. Would go with Stihl again if I need a bigger one.

catnthehat
10-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Stihl or Jonsered, both are good saws.
Unless youb are using a saw like Treeguy does, as long as the thing starts and runs, most of us can't tell the difference between a good saw and a really good saw.
We just don't use them enough.
Let's face it, Husky, Stihl, Jonsered, Pioneer, John Deere, whatever.
Keep it sharp and tuned so it will start and run well, that's all most of us need.

Cat

russ
10-04-2007, 06:26 AM
I wondered how many posts it would take until the name Jonsered showed up. Don't mind mine at all, but I also don't make a living cutting wood. I just know it starts a heckuva lot easier than Mom's Stihl.

Reeves1
10-04-2007, 06:54 AM
I say a Timberjack ! Starts when you turn the key, every time ! Cab even tilts so you can work in comfort on hill sides :D
(keep back 300 feet :lol: )

JohninAB
10-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Husky all the way. Mine is 7 years old, cut a lot of firewood and never once let me down.

hunt_and_fish
10-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Honestly, I don't think you'll be unhappy with either of them. My preference is probably Stihl but they are both great makes in my opinion.

Doc Holiday
10-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Sthil all the way. Just my preference. They are both good in their class.

kmart
10-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Husky & Stihl are both good saws, but in my opinion if you go with the Stihl, you will be Stihl wishing you bought the Husky :lol:

Northern_Hunting_Mom
10-04-2007, 05:28 PM
I've used both Stihl and Husky and I prefer Stihl. The Husky 136 just would not keep a consistent RPM no matter how much we tinkered and dropped money into it. Huskies are easier to fix in the field but they do need an awful lot of fixing.

We had bought an MS270 Arctic package. I switched the bar from 16" to 18". Decompressor switch and you can switch from cold to warm air in winter months. The pull start had filled up with snow a few times and got bunged up but I just sprayed it with Pam and it cleared up.

Then I moved down here and sold it. Wish I could've held onto it even if I don't have a thing to cut with it.

TreeGuy
10-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Sorry to Cat and Russ. I failed to mention Jonsered. Excellent product, but a bit on the heavy side in comparison to equal models.

Tree

Reeves1
10-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Sorry to Cat and Russ. I failed to mention Jonsered. Excellent product, but a bit on the heavy side in comparison to equal models.

Jonsered/Husky same thing.
Like Evinrude/Johnson.
Parts inter-changable.

(I have a Johnsered)

Rocks
10-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I have a couple Stihl's and a couple Husky's. I give the Husky's the edge, my latest one (a 357XPG) is a great saw.

russ
10-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Jonsered/Husky same thing.
Like Evinrude/Johnson.
Parts inter-changable.

(I have a Johnsered)

Well that would explain why it's made in Husqvarna. So I take it Electrolux owns Husky too?

TreeGuy
10-05-2007, 12:12 AM
I have a couple Stihl's and a couple Husky's. I give the Husky's the edge, my latest one (a 357XPG) is a great saw.

Hey Rocks. I'm running a Husky 353 right now that is going to put my azz into an early grave! The cleaner it is, the worse it runs! For some reason, it has to be dirty to a certain degree to actually run. Also, the procedure I have to endure for a chain change causes a freakin' temper-tantrum almost every time! Stupid design!

Tree

Sitting Bull
10-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks to all the replies, it is very informative
I am thinking of the sTIHL MS 260 I can pick it up at Timberland here in Edmonton for $600.00 Not a steal as far as price.They say it is the entry level pro saw. Do you think it is a good choice for someone who cuts about 5 cords,Carries it on a Quad and does a little bit of tree cutting fo some of my customers. The other saw is the Husky 55 rancher for a hundred bucks less.The guys at the store sell both and they both have told me to stay with the Stihl products.Thay say the quality is better with the Stihl and that Husky since it has been bought out by Electrolux is more focused on big corporation and things.I am not sure what to beleive.
Thanks.

Guy.

Reeves1
10-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I still vote for one of these: http://usediron.point2.com/Xhtml/Equipment/Details/P2/Forestry-Feller-Buncher/TIMBERJACK/TJ608-FB/487274/ViewEquipmentDetail.html?src=cat

Make a few bucks on your spare time :D

TreeGuy
10-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Reeves, they won't let me near one of those things! Too much fun!:lol:

Guy, personally, I'd take the MS260. I have the Husky 353 which is a similar saw to the 55, and it has caused my nothing but grief and numberous temper tantrums.:mad2: Good luck!

Tree

Sitting Bull
10-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks TreeGuy
It is a tough decision as I took another load of branches to the dump today and spoke to a couple of tree companies and they said Husky.Since I have experience with that little009 and it has not given me any problems and seeing as you are a proffessional arborist I will take your advice and pick up that 260.
Thanks again to all who have taken the time to respond.

Guy

Puma
10-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I still run a Pioneer that I bought new in the 80's.

54cc, lots of power, but a little heavy.

Too bad they dont make them anymore....

Buy the best saw you can afford.

Puma

YoungBlood
10-05-2007, 11:11 PM
i got a husky 395 with a 36 inch bar........ the bar is a little long but the powers great iwouldnt go for one of the smaller saws. you can never have enough power i just would get a bar as big as i have. Although its a pretty good descution piece. Hahahaha I would get something with ample power and an 18 inch bar. This thread could go on forever which is better sthil or husqy dodge or ford!!!! It all depends on what your looking for
Scott