PDA

View Full Version : baitcasters?

howlin
09-02-2010, 10:24 AM
ive been eyeing some bc reels lately ,and have some questions.im not familiar with that style,what are the pros and cons compared to spinning gear?.ive heard they get windnots and backlashes alot, is the hype worse then the reality?what are some recs for a beginner baitcaster(spin fished forever)?any good reels for around 100 bucks?thanks

Jayball
09-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Funny... i started the same thread 4 weeks ago when i had the exact same questions check it out; http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=64901

I really really love the BC i bought. I now use it more than my spinning rig as it gave me so much more control on drag and braking. Even in casting.... i now cast longer with this than my spinnng rig. I also bought a new rod for it... st. croix premier... 6.6 ft. good solid spine.

At the end of the day it is probably personal preference. but check the thread... i list the one I bought... and got a tonne of advice.

Good luck

hightower
09-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I have been fishing my whole life and I own one baitcasting rig and cant use it for the life of me. I know how it is supposed to work I just cant make it happen. I spend more time untangling the backlashes that fishing, It works great for trolling tho. Dont let this discourage you tho, if you can master it im sure they are great. Just my two bits man.

Jayball
09-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Funny... i started the same thread 4 weeks ago when i had the exact same questions check it out; http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=64901

I really really love the BC i bought. I now use it more than my spinning rig as it gave me so much more control on drag and braking. Even in casting.... i now cast longer with this than my spinnng rig. I also bought a new rod for it... st. croix premier... 6.6 ft. good solid spine.

At the end of the day it is probably personal preference. but check the thread... i list the one I bought... and got a tonne of advice.

Good luck

one more thing... be prepared to invest time in practicing your casting. i had nothing but birds nests for the first few 2 weekends... but when i got the hang of it... using my thumb for extra control... proper brake control and using lures that are just a bit heavier... (which fine for me as prefer plugs and spoons for pike) then it was all good....

howlin
09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
thanks guys .jayball that would be an oops on my part but in my defence i was stuck in quebec at the time:sign0176::)

Rick.
09-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Lots of good casting lessons on you tube for the bait cast reels. Once you master the technique you will love it. That is... until your next birds nest. LOL. With some practice you will get better and better at avoiding the dreaded birds nest. I have a couple of larger abu gacias that I used to use just for trolling but now that I'm pike fishing a bit more I will use them for casting as well. Great reels. Rick.

lone wolf
09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
ive been eyeing some bc reels lately ,and have some questions.im not familiar with that style,what are the pros and cons compared to spinning gear?.ive heard they get windnots and backlashes alot, is the hype worse then the reality?what are some recs for a beginner baitcaster(spin fished forever)?any good reels for around 100 bucks?thanks

Baitcasters are awesome, but there is a bit of a learning curve.

Check the Fishing items for sale (see link below)
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=66316
If I didn't have several I would have bought it weeks ago. Best $40.00 you will spend.

I can attest to the quality and workmanship of the Abu Ambassabeur reels, I have had a number over the years and never been disappointed.

Same member also has a rod to match the reel.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Nigel