PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur Provicial Park - Fishing There?

WalleyeDeitz
09-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Hey all, I am heading camping with some family and friends to Dinosaur Provicial Park north of Brooks this weeked. I am wondering if anyone has ever fished this section of the Red Deer River and if so if its worth throwing a line into? If so, is it somehere I can take a few small kids with a good chance of hooking up? The kids we are camping with will be new to fishing so I dont want to wet a line if theres not a good chance of catching. I dont bore them off of fishing there first time out if you know what I mean. I have not fished this revier ever so I am not sure if it is deep enough to fish. The Regs make it look like there are walleye and possibly sturgeon there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

WalleyeDeitz
09-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Bump

aulrich
09-02-2010, 02:43 PM
I was there once, years ago, we caught goldeyes on flies, but that could be morphed into small spinners or bits of worms. If the goldeyes are there in any numbers it could be a hoot for kids. we looked for bits of slack water.

When I was there the river was moving fast so be careful with the kids. We had a big rain storm one night and the river turned into choc. milk.

Shiami
09-02-2010, 06:04 PM
I was there June 21-26 this year.

Water was very, very high. (The creek through the park flooded several campsites)

I noted there were only a few points where you could get bank access, since the boat launch was closed and murky. There is a little park like area with picnic tables just a few meters north of the boat launch, and you can get a line in the water there, but as to what you can catch, well, I didn't have any luck.

That said I WAS fishing at high noon, in a flooded river. Might not be a shocker.

I've been told the goldeye are good there, but my understanding is that they're beginning their downstream migration now. That may be a good thing. I do think the little island in the river by the park might be a good spot. Then again, I don't have a boat, so I couldn't get out to it.

I was suggested another spot on the river by a F&W officer I met in the park there, he suggested the Steveville Campground, on the northbank of the river on secondary 876. I fished there, it looked like a good spot.

But all I caught was a rattlesnake. That was a hell of a story...

Best of luck!

WalleyeDeitz
09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Form everything I can gather, we may only attack the water in the evening if the goldeye have moved in.

Appreciate the responses, thanks again.

genoel
09-04-2010, 12:56 AM
I have caught sauger right in front of the campground just downstream of the creek on Lindy Rigs in the fall before. May be worth a try. Good luck!:wave: