PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!! What to use for whitefish?

I-Love-Eyes
09-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi all, I sure hope someone can help me. We are going to Robb, near Edson for the weekend and hope to do some stream fishing.

I have never stream fished before, but brother in law says you can catch Whitefish there.

I was wondering what to use to catch whitefish--what kind of hook or lure would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

flyguyd
09-02-2010, 07:56 PM
If your talking Rocky Mtn Whitefish You should be able to catch them on a small nymph. Hares ear, pheasant tail etc. I f its legal to use bait tie a small weight on the bottom and 18 -24 in above that put a loop in your line tie in a 10 in leader put a wet fly (brown hackle , montreal ) and tip it with a maggot.A bait hook with a couple maggots would probly work also. Cast up and across and let it bounce along the bottom. Good luck:)

flygirrl
09-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Same as above, bead head prince nympth. Some people use an elastic to tie the weight ( nail usually) to the line than if you snag you only lose the nail and not the fly.

Rudegger
09-02-2010, 10:03 PM
I have had really good luck with copper johns as well as the above mentioned. The extra weight of the copper johns get the fly down fast to where the Rockies are hiding out. Any colour will work but i have always had the best luck with green and chartruse. Good luck!

ericlin0122
09-02-2010, 10:08 PM
use this setup. you can catch anything:

bobber -> (split shot)* -> SJW -> PT -> CJ

never failed me.
* use split shot only if you need to sink it down faster.

I-Love-Eyes
09-02-2010, 10:16 PM
use this setup. you can catch anything:

bobber -> (split shot)* -> SJW -> PT -> CJ

never failed me.
* use split shot only if you need to sink it down faster.

ericlin, could you please elaborate on the abbreviations? Is CJ a copper john?

and what is SJW and PT?

I use slip bobbers for walleye--is this the bobber you mean?

DuckBrat
09-02-2010, 10:19 PM
San Juan Worm, Pheasant tail, Copper John, Hares Ear

I-Love-Eyes
09-02-2010, 10:23 PM
:love0025: THANK YOU !!

formykids
09-03-2010, 08:25 AM
We caught a bunch of them last weekend on Panther martin Spinners they were chasing anything with lots of colour last weekend...

soggysocks
09-03-2010, 10:52 AM

That's a good recipe to catch just about anything in a stream. Caught a nice fatty of a whitefish the other day in the bow with San Juan...Looked like a football with fins almost