PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Pieroway! Need a reel...

ULTRAlite
09-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Just received the Pieroway Rod I won :sHa_shakeshout: Wow! it's beautiful. A piece of art. It's a 4pc. 4wt. 8'6" with cork design and feather inlay. Designed and built by the master himself.

Thanks to Jayson of United Fly Fishing, Brad of Pieroway for delivering to my door, and Geoff for building this beauty.

Can't wait to get a reel on it and try her out. Heard lots of good things about Pieroway but never tried one. Any owners out there?

Now I need a 3/4 reel to put on it. Any suggestions for a $100-$120 line holder? I've used a number of different reels but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

DarkAisling
09-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I've got two Pieroway rods, and I love them. I've got an 8.5' 3pc 5wt M-series (not a production rod) and an 11.5' 6wt E series (the E1166) switch.

I use the Pieroway 9/11 reel (which is amazing) on my switch and a Fenwick 5/6 cast reel on my 5wt.

At your price point, I think this Amundson reel is worth checking out:
https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3866114&enlargeSkuz=25921&C=112&D=11&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=112

It looks like great value . . . I've never seen a machined reel at such a great price point! I would certainly go with this one over the Fenwick on my 5wt if I was doing it over again. There's nothing wrong with the Fenwick, I just prefer machined to cast reels.

TroutHunter
09-03-2010, 08:23 PM
In that price range I'd go with a Plueger Trion. They're a little heavy but it won't be that noticeable in a 3/4wt. I have one on a Sage 3wt and 1 love it! The nice thing is they still have a decent enough drag if you lock into something big.

I will say that in the price range your looking at , stay away from the big name manufacturers low end stuff ie Sage , Loomis , Hardy , it tends to be garbage.

Just my 2 cents
TH

ULTRAlite
09-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks - Those Amundsons are sexy for sure. Gonna go have a look tomorrow. The Trion was definately on the radar though. Nice for the price.

BobLoblaw
09-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks - Those Amundsons are sexy for sure. Gonna go have a look tomorrow. The Trion was definately on the radar though. Nice for the price.

Too bad your timing's a little off; those Amundsons were 40% off during the Fishin' Hole's Wall-to-wall sale. They seem like a good deal at full price- awesome deal at 40% off!

DarkAisling
09-04-2010, 09:28 AM
The Trion would be my second choice. I don't know that you could really go wrong with either of them :)

honda450
09-04-2010, 10:08 AM
I also have a Pflueger Trion with an extra spool. And 2 Pfluegar Summits.

They are all great reels.

honda450
09-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Speaking of reels, anyone know what make this one is? Has no markings on it what so ever. Yup its a old one and has sentimental value to me and as you can see it needs a new piece. Like to get that broke piece fixed. Thanks.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/100_0191.jpg

DarkAisling
09-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Speaking of reels, anyone know what make this one is? Has no markings on it what so ever. Yup its a old one and has sentimental value to me and as you can see it needs a new piece. Like to get that broke piece fixed. Thanks.

I don't know . . . maybe the Reel Doctor in Edmonton can help you out? I think they work on fly reels.

honda450
09-04-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't know . . . maybe the Reel Doctor in Edmonton can help you out? I think they work on fly reels.

Thats what I was thinking too. I have 2 of them like that but the other is not broken. And its black.

Thanks Dark.

ULTRAlite
09-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Too bad your timing's a little off; those Amundsons were 40% off during the Fishin' Hole's Wall-to-wall sale. They seem like a good deal at full price- awesome deal at 40% off!

Ya - unexpected acquisition so I'm not too upset about missing it. Did you pick one up?

Pudelpointer
09-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Looks just like an old Pfleuger medalist, except gold instead of green.

BobLoblaw
09-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Ya - unexpected acquisition so I'm not too upset about missing it. Did you pick one up?

Yup. I picked one up for my 9wt. Under $80 for a reel machined from a solid block of aircraft grade bar stock aluminum, with what seems to be a very smooth drag system; it ain't ugly, either.

ULTRAlite
09-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Yup. I picked one up for my 9wt. Under $80 for a reel machined from a solid block of aircraft grade bar stock aluminum, with what seems to be a very smooth drag system; it ain't ugly, either.

I went in to look but I just couldn't walk away without it. Lined it up with Rio Gold and she's ready to loose her virginity :sEm_oops2:

I'll upload some pics and post the link once they're up.

Thanks for pointing me in their direction guys, from the looks of it, a fantastic reel which could easily be double the price they are. All my complaints on my last reels I've owned are gone, but I'll post a link to an initial review once I've had it out a few times.

Thanks guys!

Cory

DarkAisling
09-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for pointing me in their direction guys, from the looks of it, a fantastic reel which could easily be double the price they are.

Amundson's products are manufactured in China, and imported directly by Amundson. This means huge savings for the consumer. Amundson works closely with their pros to ensure a great product.

Sure, it is nice to purchase items that are manufactured in Canada, but a great product at half the price of comparable Canadian made products would be silly for most of us to ignore (especially in the present economy). I dream of an Islander LX3.2 in pink for my 5wt, but I've got kids to feed.

AngusMacHuge
09-05-2010, 12:30 AM
I bought an Amundson TXS to replace the P.O.S reel that came with the combo, absolutely love it. Smooth drag, reasonable weight, and a nice looking reel to boot. Extra spools seem a bit much, but that's likely par for the course with fly reels.

walleyeca
09-05-2010, 08:58 AM

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/100_0191.jpg
Hey guy this here is about a 20 year old pflueger reel! Hope this helps and nice shape by the way!

honda450
09-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Hey guy this here is about a 20 year old pflueger reel! Hope this helps and nice shape by the way!

Thanks walleyeca. I have 2 of them but one is black. Now I know what parts I am looking for. :47b20s0: