PDA

View Full Version : broke my sage, what now?

getatmewolf
09-03-2010, 11:24 PM
got it as a gift 5-6 years ago, broke the tip not catching any fish last weekend on the castle. what now? is there a warranty? are they able to fix it affordibly? i called the fishinhole but i dont have a receipt.....
looking for any info or experiences

Big Racks
09-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Contact Sage directly, info can be found online. They'll most likely tell you to ship it to them - if I recall correctly, they're located on Bainbridge Island, WA. They might ask for a cheque to cover return shipping but should either repair it or send you another piece as replacement. A buddy dealt with them a few years back and their warranty service, while a bit slow, was impeccable.

Good luck.

TroutHunter
09-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Depends on the model but a lot of sage rods are lifetime warranty and they are very good about honoring it. Trust I have had quite a few replaced that weren't exactly damaged by "normal wear and tear" They do tend to take a while but in my experience it's pretty much a no questions asked replacement warranty.

Here's the link to the warranty page

http://www.sageflyfish.com/Resources/Warranty/

Big Racks
09-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Pretty much all of the quality rod companies have these no-question warranties in place now. I think as well as Sage, that Scott, Winston, G.Loomis, all have it - whether well advertised or not.

Hell, a buddy broke the tip off his mid-range Fenwick a couple of years ago closing it in the truck door. Sent it back and they shipped him a new piece. Literally 2 weeks later he stumbled getting out of his tube and busted the new one off at the tip yet again. They sent him another new piece. This was Fenwick.

I think that once one offered it they all had to start for fear of losing market share in a pretty lucrative field of product, with a fairly tightly run contest of products by the top tier manufacturers. A fly fisher may, and usually does, have his preferred rod manufacturer but the product lines nowadays are such that you can most likely find that same action and feel in another brand if you search it out.

I just wish I could find this sort of competitive warranty coverage in hunting equipment. Most of these buggers wouldn't send you a replacement gun if they shipped you a rifle with a bent barrel.

ULTRAlite
09-04-2010, 11:11 AM
TFO charges $30 per rod section - no questions - used it twice
Pieroway charges $60 per rod section - no questions

Both are in Calgary so no waiting :)

honda450
09-04-2010, 11:14 AM
TFO charges $30 per rod section - no questions - used it twice
Pieroway charges $60 per rod section - no questions

Both are in Calgary so no waiting :)

No wonder I use TFO rods. hehehe:bad_boys_20:

tonyflyfish
09-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Sage asked for $50 and then only charged me $12 for freight.

Rod was broken by stepping on it at Clearwater................don't ask!

Tony

Penner
09-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Pretty much all of the quality rod companies have these no-question warranties in place now. I think as well as Sage, that Scott, Winston, G.Loomis, all have it - whether well advertised or not.

Hell, a buddy broke the tip off his mid-range Fenwick a couple of years ago closing it in the truck door. Sent it back and they shipped him a new piece. Literally 2 weeks later he stumbled getting out of his tube and busted the new one off at the tip yet again. They sent him another new piece. This was Fenwick.

I think that once one offered it they all had to start for fear of losing market share in a pretty lucrative field of product, with a fairly tightly run contest of products by the top tier manufacturers. A fly fisher may, and usually does, have his preferred rod manufacturer but the product lines nowadays are such that you can most likely find that same action and feel in another brand if you search it out.

I just wish I could find this sort of competitive warranty coverage in hunting equipment. Most of these buggers wouldn't send you a replacement gun if they shipped you a rifle with a bent barrel.

I also broke a Walleye Class Fenwick accidentally when the line twisted several times around the tip and a large pike still had one last run in him up close to the boat. Sent them the busted rod and had a new one a few weeks later no questions asked. Next three rods I bought were all Fenwick’s. Great quality rods for a reasonable price.

Send the rod back to Sage explaining the situation. Worse case your back where you’re started.

Doc
09-04-2010, 08:25 PM
If the entire rod was manufactured by sage, they should fix it at a small cost (small compared to what it retails for). But if this rod is a custom made rod, they'll send you back the broken tip top along with a new tip top blank and it will be up to you to have the blank built. I had to have this done for my custom RPL. I used Chuck Harvey (The Rod Man) to build it and he did an awesome job.

Cheers,
Doc

DanJ
09-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I broke the tip of my pet 8'6" 5wt Sage. I found that I would get to give them US$50 plus shipping plus shipping, and because my particular Sage is discontinued there was no guarantee the replacement tip would match the butt. I took it to a professional rod guy (he's retired now - he was off Elbow Drive somewhere and had a funny name I don't recall) and for the price of a case of beer, I now have a rare, customized Sage 8'2" 4.9wt that still casts better than any rod I've ever tried.