PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles (Walking Sticks)

Rockymtnx
10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I am in the market for a new walking/hiking stick. Just wondering everyone's thoughts. My main use of it will be for hiking and sheep hunting.

one or two?
rubber foot or metal end?
shock absorption or solid shaft?
one piece or telescoping?

littlered
10-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I've used two different poles. Stoney point? is the best I have used. The rubber foot and no shock absorber, makes alot less noise than the other one I have used. The metal foot and shock absorber makes lots of noise on the rocks. We have got by with one pole, but two may be better in more rugged country.The telescoping ones work good with the V to shoot off.

Rocks
10-04-2007, 08:45 PM
I used to see hikers with those poles and thought they were kinda gay (the poles)... but I bought a pair this year and they are the best thing I've bought in years. I won't ever hike a mountain again without them, they are invaluable. Mine are telescopic, were 27$ each, have the metal ends. They came with rubber ends that fit over the metal tips but I never used them. My brother used the rubber tips on his and the metal ends soon wore through them. They also came with cups that screw on. The pair I got has shocks but you can turn them off by twisting the pole.

Would definately recommend telescoping, easy to pack in a backpack or on a horse; the metal tips are noisy in the rocks but do grip good, rubber ends may be worthwhile to reduce noise; definately go with two I use both of mine all the time.

Rockymtnx
10-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Rocks - I was kind of thinking telescoping might be good. If I am not using it I could fit it/them on or in my pack. I found a bazillion of them on Ebay.
What brand is yours?

Rocks
10-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Mine are Vantrek? I think, they're probably low to mid range for price, my brother paid about 30 bucks each for a pair of Outbound brand ones, they're very similar, my buddy has a pair that he paid 120$ for ($60 each). Telesopic is definately the way to go.

Bushwacker
10-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Treking poles are a must for hiking in the mountains. I used them when I ran leg#4 of the death race this summer. They're like having an extra set of legs.

Bushwacker

Map Maker
10-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I got some leki makalu trekking poles. I wont go hiking without them. Give you lots of stability with a heavy pack up hills.
Mine are shock absorbers, telescoping with metal ends. The metal ends do give off a tinging sound when they hit rocks, but my panting up hills is alot louder.
The best thing i find about them is that they get your arms moving so the blood circulates better. On some long hikes without them, my hands would swell up with blood pressure but not a problem anymore with the poles.
Thumbs up from me.

ULTRAlite
10-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Definately get two. Once you get into a rythym you feel like a quadruped, and I don't think I would have made a few of the hikes this summer without them.

hunt_and_fish
10-05-2007, 01:50 PM
This is the one that I recently bought:

http://www.stoneypoint.com/products/mp_explorer_monopod.html

It is a great product. It telescopes from 25" to over 60" and is extremely durable (it seems flexible but you can really lean on it). It has the rubber foot as mentioned by someone else. I got mine from Cabelas. I think it was around $60. I bought because I was interested in having a rifle rest that would be ready whenever I needed it. To be honest - I don't find that my rifle is much steadier with it than free-hand but as far as a walking stick, I am very happy with it.

gunslinger
10-05-2007, 03:42 PM
you bet i would go with the two poles, telescoping and deffilyt the metal bottom, we tryed keeping the plastic on ours and it jsut broke off, deffinlty a life saver thats for sure havign them, heres a pic of where they deffinly come in handy,,, we were stalking monstermuleys dall sheep and things got a llittle steep and nasty.

Baulde
10-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a set of Komperdell carbons. When I got em I wanted small and light enough that I would not notice them at all if strapped on my pack. Total weight for the pair is 175g. Metal tip and telescoping.
No complaints from me and the really light weight is nice but kind of expensive. Anyone that picks them up gives my the "holy ****" reaction... these are light.

Plummerbutt
10-07-2007, 11:25 PM
If you dont need to go with anything to fancy, try shaft from a broken hockey stick. Should be readily available in your area, free, strong, quiet and easily trimmed to your prefered length.

I've carried one for many years while shed hunting and swear by them. Even have a few buddy's carrying them around.

Rockymtnx
10-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Well thanks for all the suggestions. I now a lot more about these things than I did a few weeks ago.
Looks like I will be watching for collapsible ones with some sort of shock absorption you can lock.

TheClash
10-20-2007, 09:13 PM
i have used/repaired and sold trekking poles for ages and ages...here are my opinions.

yes they are worth it..they make a huge difference over time..especially on snow shoes.

do not go for light weight models..they break way easier...way way easier. stay with a good sturdy aluminium.

telescoping is great for getting into packs..but also for using in emergency situations...make great splints for legs and arms

i would not go with the shock abosorption UNLESS you have hip/knee joint injuries. it is one more thing to go wrong, hard to field fix and they can be unstable on downhill sections

if you have any other questions IM me and i can give more advice. MEC in calgary usually has a great set of "value" priced poles..and if ys sweet talk the staff at the warranty desk you can usually pick up some free rubber feet and some repair materials for them as well.

Rockymtnx
10-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks TheClash, Right now I am looking at buying a set of LEKIs. I the more and more I reseached trekking poles, I asked myself why I didn't already own a set.

Faststeel
10-21-2007, 12:04 AM
I just got a pair of Leki's from Campers Village to use for Nordic walking. have only used them on pavement so far but will be taking them down south for the big mulie walk. FS

Rockymtnx
10-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Faststeel do you know which model you have?

TheClash
10-21-2007, 12:29 PM
leki's are great..but i find them very expensive compared to the komperdels...which i find easier to repair......although the grips on the leki's are usually much better.

sheephunter
10-22-2007, 12:24 AM
I use a single Komperdell...I find two too cumbersome, especially when going through some tricky cliffs and such. Plus they are a total P.I.T.A. when walking flat ground. I like mine because the handle has a sizeable cork ball on top. I don't grip the handle like a ski pole but rather put my palm over top of the ball and push down on the pole from the top...just my preference!

TheClash
10-22-2007, 09:01 AM
agreed, i usually only use one pole...unless i am snowshoeing.

that kimperdell with the large cork ball handle...does the cork ball unscrew off so you can turn it into a monopod for your camera??

sheephunter
10-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Yes it does......it can be pretty handy for the video or still camera.

Kutenay
10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I have been using Komperdell C3 carbons for 2.5 years now, won't go anywhere without them and they help me going downhil very much. I also have carried an iceaxe and crampons on hunts/hikes here in BC and am going to buy much lighter ones for hunting after Christmas.

If, you backpack hunt in mountains, t-poles are worth their cost and Kahtoola light crampons are as well; you only have to slip and fall ONCE to never hunt/walk again.......

Chet
10-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I use a pair of Leki Makalu's and I love them. I won't go in to the mountains without them anymore. They are a huge help going downhill and just about any time when your traction/footing is not the greatest. I would rather forget my bino's than my poles.

Chet

Rockymtnx
10-22-2007, 10:17 AM
I am going try two to start with. If I am not big up on the second one, I can always put in the back of the closet.
I will also have to check out the Komperdell's. I haven't found any smoking deals on the Lekis yet.

Duk Dog
10-22-2007, 10:24 AM
It seems a number of people are using these in one form or another. What sort of dollar amounts were the ones each of you are using?
Thanks.

Chet
10-22-2007, 10:33 AM
I can't remember how much mine were Duk Dog but I'm pretty sure they were over $100 at Camper's Village. They were closer to the high end of the price scale but they seemed like a good combination of light and strong.

Chet

TheClash
10-22-2007, 12:24 PM
this is what i use
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444259 0937&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302697481&bmUID=1193077279064

small, light, and i prefer the flick lock mechanism to the twist lock format. from my experience they are easier to field fix/rig till you can get home and repair them properly.

i have these as well
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 1052&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302697481&bmUID=1193077279073

but i find the black diamond poles compact much smaller.

again i reemphasize to try and sweet talk to repair dept. where ever you buy them into donating some spare parts to you. a few repair pieces in your pack can save you hours of fiddling with duct tape and stick in the bush. if you buy them at mec in calgary..watch for a very tall, lean scraggly kramer looking guy behind the repair desk. his name is mike and he is a hell of a guy. chat him up for a bit..ask him the main problems with poles etc and how to repair them..and he will usually hook you up with a decent repair kit. cheers.

Duk Dog
10-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Well after getting the chance to try one out the other day first hand I can attest to their value in your list of equipment to own. I know I'll be buying one (possibly two) in the near future.

mud slug
10-27-2007, 06:21 PM
after having knee surgery two years ago a friend of mine gave me a pair of lekis for my birthday i use them everywhere they stay in the truck can hunt cutblocks and cutlines all day without any problems

AB2506
10-27-2007, 09:07 PM
These are the poles I've started to use, even on the prairies, as I have a leg injury. So far, I like them alot. I bought them as I am 240, and Backpacking magazine recommended them as the eliptical shape helps prevent bending.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 1195&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302697481&bmUID=1193540533838

TheClash
10-28-2007, 08:35 AM
those spires are a great pole...just watch that you are keeping the bottom release button clean or else it will fail.

i carry at least one pole on every back country trip....if for no other reason than they make incredible splints for broken limbs. i have used them more than once for this and the adjusability makes it a breeze.

John Spartan
10-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Interesting. I've thought long and hard about these and wound up going to the local pharmacy and getting a wooden cane for myself that I cut to an appropriate length and haven't had any regrets since (5 years ago). Cost me $20 as I recall.

lilsundance
10-28-2007, 10:53 AM
I just picked one up at CT. it has a removeable curved top so that you can use it for a firearm rest or mount a camera or spotting scope on it. adjustable from 29" to 68". Whether it ill be sturdy enough or not is yet to be seen. Guess I will find out next weekend.

TheClash
10-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Interesting. I've thought long and hard about these and wound up going to the local pharmacy and getting a wooden cane for myself that I cut to an appropriate length and haven't had any regrets since (5 years ago). Cost me $20 as I recall.

that works as well...

Duk Dog
03-15-2008, 01:43 PM

Duk Dog
03-15-2008, 01:50 PM
I am going try two to start with. If I am not big up on the second one, I can always put in the back of the closet.
I will also have to check out the Komperdell's. I haven't found any smoking deals on the Lekis yet.

What did you end up buying? Have you had much of a chance to try them out yet? I ended up getting a pair of the Komperdell Aurora poles, but haven't tried them out yet.

Duk Dog
04-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Figured I'd bring this old thread back to life. I've still been using my Komperdell Aurora poles and they have served me well. They are fairly beat up and I'm debating whether to keep on using them or replace them. They are the twist lock style. Anyone have any updates on what they have been using the past couple of years and how they have been? Twist lock versus flip lock?

Tundra Monkey
04-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey Duk,

I use the Leki Makulu Ultralights. They are the twist type and I've had no problems. I do tend to check them before I do anything "stupid" but I've had no issues with them.

If you talk to CNR he bought the Titanium Goat poles last year. When I was looking they tweaked my interest but were unavailable at the time.

tm

Duk Dog
09-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Old post back to life again. My Komperdell Auroras pretty much packed it in this past weekend. Had them since 2008 so I got some good miles out of them. Curious what others are currently using for trekking poles? I'm in the market to replace mine now.

sheephunter
09-26-2011, 05:23 PM
We are still really happy with our Black Diamond carbon fibre poles. I'd never own aluminum again.

Okotokian
09-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I am in the market for a new walking/hiking stick. Just wondering everyone's thoughts. My main use of it will be for hiking and sheep hunting.

one or two?
rubber foot or metal end?
shock absorption or solid shaft?
one piece or telescoping?

My recommendations: Two poles. I use metal end (easy to lose the rubber tips), telescoping, no shock absorbtion. Reasoning: I use them for very specific temporary uses. River crossings (INVALUABLE!) and going up or down quite steep pitches. I might use them a few hundred yards at a time, not miles. The rest of the time they are just weight attached to my pack, so I want them collapsible and as light as possible (shock absorbtion = more weight).

I love Black Diamond poles (MEC carries them). Get the snap closures rather than the twist ones. Less likely to go wrong. I've had twist poles go on me.

artie
09-26-2011, 07:55 PM
I have some old telescoping ones that you twist together. Alot of times they get stuck and you can't get them to twist. I wrap hockey tape around them and that gets me a better grip so I can get them undone. Others wrap a lot of duct tape around the top of the pole and as they have a need for duct tape they just take it off of the pole. I find that I like to use them most coming down steep trails. They save the knees.