PDA

View Full Version : Decoying Antelope

Rigby
09-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I was down in the 150's scouting yesturday and seen some nice speed goats. I noticed alot of bucks by themselves. Which made me wonder! Can you decoy in a loan buck with another buck decoy! I know the idea is for the buck to run off another buck away from his does so am i gonna be able to decoy loan bucks? And how affective is decoying?

harv3589
09-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Worked great for my dad and I last year. He arrowed his buck at 40 yrds...came right into the decoy.

BrownBear416
09-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I was down in the 150's scouting yesturday and seen some nice speed goats. I noticed alot of bucks by themselves. Which made me wonder! Can you decoy in a loan buck with another buck decoy! I know the idea is for the buck to run off another buck away from his does so am i gonna be able to decoy loan bucks? And how affective is decoying?

Yep for sure you can decoy Loan bucks.Usually they will have been run off from there does or be looking for some to steal.A buck sees a decoy on top of a hill he is always curious whether there is does just behind the decoy.Wont work everytime but Goats are crazy curious and do some crazy things.Decoying is very effective and if the rut is going good you will have tons of action.I find if you do 8-10 set a day then you should have at least 3-4 bucks come into bow range.

Best thing to do is find the buck you want and sneak within 200yrds of it and pop the decoy without him seeing it.I have a call that i use to get the bucks attention and if he feels you are a threat to his does he will be on his way to deal with the threat.Sometimes they come in slow and circle and sometimes they charge in full speed and you will feel like you are going to be run over.Hardest part of decoying isnt getting bucks to come in but is getting drawn and getting them to stand still for a shot.If you pop the decoy and the buck packs up his does and leaves the country then 1 of two things is happening.You either arent getting close enough to the herd before popping the decoy or the rut isnt going very good.

Good Luck and Im sure with your luck we will see pics of a new archery alberta record in a few weeks :bad_boys_20:

summit151
09-06-2010, 01:36 PM
i am heading down to 102 this thursday do you think the antelope will respond to a decoy that early?

ceedub
09-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I know for sure that a lone buck will come into a Mallard duck Mojo.....lol. Seriously, it happened more than once last year while we were set up for ducks. My dad has already swore that he's taking his Mojo decoy next time we get drawn for Antelope.

Rackmastr
09-06-2010, 04:01 PM
In my opinion, you should attempt to stalk or decoy every buck that you see thats a 'shooter' in your mind. Some will work, some wont, but the more chances you give yourself the better.

The bucks will really start chasing and decoying by about the 14-15th I find. You can have better luck with lone bucks than you will with herd bucks. Its all just a matter of which bucks are in the right 'mood' at the time!

duffy4
09-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I thought a buck with a doe would get some attention.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/103_3893.jpg

Rigby
09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys! That will help me alot then. I was expecting to have to try stalking those lone buck and they look pretty tough to stalk! Cant wait to get out there and giver it a try. We seen one buck puttin the run on another yesturday. And man are they pretty lookin critters!