PDA

View Full Version : 40 Mile lake

Jamie
10-04-2007, 11:26 PM
What does everyone on here know about 40 Mile?
I will be doing a market evaluation on a cottage down there and I really don't know anything about it. I like to show up prepared, so any help would be appreciated.
What kind of fish?
how low does the lake get?
Scummy or nice lake?
Windy all the time or does it stay fairly calm?
Lots of Cabins or just a few?
Busy with Water skiers and Jet skis?

Anything you got would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

Rackmastr
10-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Good fishing....walleye and pike.....good walleye from all I've seen of it...

Not a pile of cabins, but getting to be more around it seems on the one side of the lake....

It was windy 2 days we were there, and calm for 2 days...but its Southern AB and can get windy of course....its a long narrow lake....not horrible for waves.....

Lots of boats out one day we were there, but nothing crazy like Sylvan or anything....just some activity around.....

Water has always been nice and clean, and any time we've been there it has been high, so not sure how low it can get......

Not sure if that helps at all Jamie....

Boss442
10-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Jamie are you referring to 40 mile dam?

Jamie
10-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Boss, if it is NW of Medicine hat, then that is the same place.

Jamie

Boss442
10-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Nope, the place I know is SE of Taber/Barnwell.........nice place too!

Jamie
10-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Sorry..Typo.
Its SW of Medicine hat.
Here is a link
http://www.40milepark.com/id6.html

I think we are talking about the same place. Please share what ever info you have

Thanks
Jamie

Versatile
10-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Boss your thinking of Chin lake or Sherburne lake.

Versatile
10-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Jamie the Walleye fishing there is some of the best at that lake but at time it can get pretty weedy. There is a trophy Trout lake around there and cypress hills is a nice area as well for a day trip.

Like Trev said it is SA so it can be blowing 100kms in the am and be dead calm in the PM.

Browning
10-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I live about 40 min from the park so I spend some time there the water is average temp good fishing, its such a big lake that too many boats usually isn't a huge concern. There is alot of wind and especially where the cabins are because there is no cover its just pairie. Hope that helps!

Boss442
10-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Hey Jamie looking at the map on the link you provided I'am sure its the place I was thinking of, usually go there a couple times a year. A co-worker of mine has a place out there. Not sure on the fishing but I think the water remains at a constant height from what I've seen even in Aug. Pretty nice park with some newer style home's mixed with some smaller cottage type places, some lots only have RV's on them but they are of newer style, no junkie old stuff. I would say that there is definately pride in ownership evident in all lots. I don't think there's a bad view anywhere, as most places sit right on the lake, although some have a graded incline to the beach/shore. There is seperate camping sites with minimal amount of trees, but I would suspect one would be spending most time on the beaches anyhow? I believe the lease holders have a co-op and have planned activities thruoghout the summer. Only two negative comments come to mind; 1. If older couples looking a properties, (steep enbankments) 2. It's pretty much a gated community, which is not such a bad thing but what does "suck" is everytime we go to visit our friends we get charged a daily access fee of $5 a day, or you can get a yearly pass for $75!! We just drive there to visit, BBQ, and couple of wobbly pop's and thats usually about it. If you need more info PM me and I could put you in touch with my buddy that owns the place.

mulecrazy
10-07-2007, 01:04 PM
I grew up 10 minutes from 40-mile and it is still my favorite lake to fish. Great walleye and pike at all times of the year. It does get a little busy with boats but if you are out to do some fishing just head south on the lake and fish on the east side along the drop offs. The water is probably the best quality in southern AB. It is about 60 ft deep in the middle and has very few weeds compared to sherburne or rattlesnake. there is a very nice beach and swimming area for the family. all in all it is an excellent lake to spend a few days on. If you want a few tips on the fishing send me a PM.:wave:

Suka
10-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Prices have really gone nuts there. The lots are leased. Lot's of trees planted where the cabins are, but it'll be about 20 yrs before it's "nice" in my opinion. Started out as cheap lot's on the bald a.. windswept prairie, people parking their trailers there for the summer, has evolved to even a few cabinmansions. It's definitely a seller's market. Lot's of people here in Bow Island still have lot's there, ask around and you'll find some locals to talk to if need be. Good walleye/pike at different times of the yr. Usually good depth, but if irrigation demands require it, it can used. I seem to remember hearing something about irrigation limit's being put in place on that lake, but I'm not certain.