PDA

View Full Version : First Walleye!

Andrew
09-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Had a nice day out fishing at mcgregor today, went out looking for some pike, and ended up catching my first two walleye, and two little pike.

There were also a fair amount of fish jumping around us, i wonder a bit if they're trout or whitefish because you wouldn't think they'd be swimming around with predator fish like walleye and pike swimming around, does anyone know what species theese fish might be?

Thanks!

WayneChristie
09-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Congratulations on your first eyes.! We were at Travers today and saw fish rising too, kind of leaning towards whitefish but I could be wrong.

Andrew
09-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Im leaning towards rainbows cause these fish were coming clean out of the water, but i threw a grasshopper i caught on my hook and didnt get anything with it.

Ken07AOVette
09-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Good for you Andrew!!!

I have been fishing Pike and Perch for close to 40 years now, have never caught a walleye.

Chris84
09-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Congrats on your first walleyes!!! Like Wayne, I am leaning towards whitefish. Only reason I don't think they would be trout is that there are extremely few trout left in Mcgregor (I could be wrong though, I haven't caught a rainbow in there for about 5 years). There are however, lots of whitefish.

Chris

BobLoblaw
09-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Well done, Andrew; congratz on your first walleye. I bet there will be plentyy more 'eyes to come for ya!

walking buffalo
09-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Sweet catch! My best day for walleye at MacGregor is One.

Thanks for the pics.

BrownBear416
09-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Well done Andrew :sHa_shakeshout:

Rockymtnx
09-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Congrats on your Walleye Andrew.
That didn't take you long.

cpppark
09-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Nice catch there Andrew!

Geezle
09-07-2010, 06:50 AM
Nice work Andrew! :cool:

Ken - next time you're passing through the 'hood if you can budget a couple hours of play time I'll take ya out to the river for some walleye :)

Or at very least some pike :evilgrin:

nicemustang
09-07-2010, 08:31 AM
The rising fish are definitely whitefish.

diggerrigger
09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Chances are whitefish there is a commercial white fishery at Mcgregor. There are rainbows as we catch them every year they sneak thru the canal from the Bow river feed.

oagie
09-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Well done.

Fishingnutter
09-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Had a nice day out fishing at mcgregor today, went out looking for some pike, and ended up catching my first two walleye, and two little pike.

There were also a fair amount of fish jumping around us, i wonder a bit if they're trout or whitefish because you wouldn't think they'd be swimming around with predator fish like walleye and pike swimming around, does anyone know what species theese fish might be?

Thanks!

Sweet Fish,,, great spot, learned almost everything about fishing right there, and there are huge trout there and because of the predator factor they fight like crazy. but the risers are whitefish, best ignore them as they will drive you b'nonkers through the day. However, copper/wireworm about 12 inches below a float at sunrise works here and there, or a tiny teardrop ice fishing lure below the float and if you're patient, a tiny piece of a smelt on a #10-#12 hook. Lake Whitefish are great fighters. I'll send you a spot for catching them through the ice.

Andrew
09-07-2010, 07:16 PM
thanks for your comments, and thank you so much fishingnutter for the info!!!

Fishingnutter
09-08-2010, 12:29 PM
thanks for your comments, and thank you so much fishingnutter for the info!!!

I moved away from Alberta and just found out from my Dad that they started closing the canal for fishing to let the Whitefish do their thing, you may want to check the regs on the dates, I'm not at home right now and don't have them handy. Great spot, be very careful of the water near the weir, dangerous to the power of a hundred, even way downstream.

Andrew
09-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I moved away from Alberta and just found out from my Dad that they started closing the canal for fishing to let the Whitefish do their thing, you may want to check the regs on the dates, I'm not at home right now and don't have them handy. Great spot, be very careful of the water near the weir, dangerous to the power of a hundred, even way downstream.

Yes we noticed that theres a big sign thats on the canal, its closes in spring for the pike and walleye, and once more at a time which i cant remember.

And as for ice fishing the canal, we will be very careful, im sure the ice gets very thin near the spillway.