PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer Goldeye's

paulsbeenfishin
09-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Great fishin in the Red Deer. Can't keep em off whatever you throw at them.

K.J
09-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Right on. Those should be good on the smoker

paulsbeenfishin
09-06-2010, 09:01 PM
You bet! That's where they're headed. Can't beat a smoked Goldeye.

jeprli
09-07-2010, 12:29 PM
What kind of wood do you use to smoke them? What did you use for bait?

Took my dad to rdr just north of brooks, he limited out on goldeyes within 2 hours with a dozen or so suckers in between, he had loads of fun. Kinda windy in the morning but it settled down in afternoon. My first fish was a saugeye(first ever) of maybe 12"-13" caught him with a 3" crankbait knocking on bottom rocks. Then one goldeye and a walter(close to 5lb) that was just over the limit. Covered about a km of shoreline, went up and down 4-5 times but it seemed only one hole produced. It's a tough river to fish using crankbaits. Lost one crank and a couple of jigs to walleye gods.

Have to go back there sometime again...it's a very challenging piece of water, shoreline is very unpredictable with all the sediment accumulating in certain spots, you can't really figure out how hard the crust is. In some parts its walkable and some i went in over my knees(waders are a good thing to have, as well as a long piece of wood to help extracting from mud :) )

Fishingnutter
09-07-2010, 12:37 PM

Took my dad to rdr just north of brooks, he limited out on goldeyes within 2 hours with a dozen or so suckers in between, he had loads of fun. Kinda windy in the morning but it settled down in afternoon. My first fish was a saugeye(first ever) of maybe 12"-13" caught him with a 3" crankbait knocking on bottom rocks. Then one goldeye and a walter(close to 5lb) that was just over the limit. Covered about a km of shoreline, went up and down 4-5 times but it seemed only one hole produced. It's a tough river to fish using crankbaits. Lost one crank and a couple of jigs to walleye gods.

Have to go back there sometime again...it's a very challenging piece of water, shoreline is very unpredictable with all the sediment accumulating in certain spots, you can't really figure out how hard the crust is. In some parts its walkable and some i went in over my knees(waders are a good thing to have, as well as a long piece of wood to help extracting from mud :) )

Please be careful on sediment runs, some are very deep, Drumheller loses 2+ inches a year of Badland, I'll tell you truly a horror story the next time I run into you. Hickory is rich but applewood is divine, heat moderate.

aulrich
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Willow is traditional, for most everything I use fruit wood.

paulsbeenfishin
09-07-2010, 01:45 PM

I put them in pickling salt and water mix for 12 hrs then rinse and towel off. After used maple chips and smoked for 14 hrs in little chief. They were very good.

Rockymtnx
09-07-2010, 02:49 PM
smoked for 14 hrs in little chief.

Congrats on your catch. One question though.... Was there anything left to smoke after 14 hours? ;)

AK47
09-07-2010, 03:41 PM
I usually use alder chips... works the best for me.... tried hickory and apple... not the same.

paulsbeenfishin
09-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Congrats on your catch. One question though.... Was there anything left to smoke after 14 hours? ;)
Yes 14 hrs was perfect. Meat was done through and flaked off the bones nicely..