PDA

View Full Version : How late in the year can you fly fish the Bow

Richard B.
09-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Just curious as to how late in the year you can fish the Bow and any suggestions on what gear is useful in the colder temps.

Scott N
09-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Check the regs, but you can fish parts of the river all year round, depending of course on the weather. San Juans produce all year round... try a small dropper, or try streamers.

aulrich
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Yes at least the section from the western headworks wier I forget were it end exactly I think Carsland is open all year a buddies rule of thumb is anytime when it is 5c or above is possible.

onthefly
09-07-2010, 04:18 PM
As mentioned there are parts of the bow that are open year round. The fishing is quite different after October and dosent appeal to everyone, you wont come across many other fishman until March. Even though it is open it might be in your interest to go on days that we get a chinook or temp above 5. Below that your guides freeze up so quickly and the fish are very inactive it is hardly worth trying.
I would wear wool socks and fleece wader pants under your waders and boots to keep warm once the water temp drops. A good pair of waterprood lined gloves are also a good idea.
Try fishing nymphs and streamers. You will find some patterns that are more effective in the winter season then others. The fish tend to be the most active during the peak or warmest part of the day, aposed to the morning and evenings as prime time during the summer.

Okotokian
09-07-2010, 04:28 PM
I was fishing Policeman's Flats in march... is that late or early? :)

aulrich
09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Late, spring and the spawn indicate new life and the new year, except for those odd fish that spawn in the fall. But every family has those members who you just smile and knod at :)

BiggDirty
09-07-2010, 07:19 PM
I've tried fishing the Bow every month of the year and have had considerable success in the winter months. I've noticed in the winter months the fish seem to move into the slower, shallow water where they can conserve their energy and tend to be fairly active if presented the right fly. SJWs, chirominoids, small little blood worms and copper johns are usually the ticket for me.

BobLoblaw
09-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I was fishing Policeman's Flats in march... is that late or early? :)

Yes.

Richard B.
09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the input

Doc
09-08-2010, 06:11 PM
My thoughts on winter fly fishing the Bow is this. Trout have to eat. Even If their metabolism slows right down, they will still feed and since there are very few hatches coming off during the winter, a well place meal will see many trout caught. Deep, slow overwintering pools hold a lot of trout so make sure you get your presentation down to them. During the winter months, if there are no ice chunks on the water, fish it.

Bow flyman
09-08-2010, 10:43 PM
I generally fish the bow until mid-October. I find that after this time, the fishing slows. The most important reason that I only fish April to October, is that in winter, the line and line guides freeze over, making fishing difficult at best. I also feel that the trout should get a long rest after 6 straight months of pounding them.