PDA

View Full Version : i find that natural rainbows are more aggressive

fishnut9
09-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Does anyone else find that stocked rainbow trout seem like they are less aggressive. When i used to fish the river off bowron lake b.c. i would drop anything infront of the fish and they would go for it. Now i that im in alberta i have to fish stocked ponds. I was fishing off a log in this one lake and i saw this trout just sitting there under the log. I dropped a worm infront of it and it just swam up to it and them swam away. Anyone have the same experience?

great white whaler
09-08-2010, 12:40 AM
thats farm trout 4 ya,i have hooked 8 pound rainbows no fight at all in some lakes ,other lakes thay jump 5 feet in the air places like carson.

Darren N
09-08-2010, 07:20 AM
My experience with stock trout is that anything bigger than a year or two old is very picky, almost snobish of what they take. In some ways it makes the experience better knowing you caught one. Sometimes I wish they were more aggressive though.

boot
09-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I think it has more to do with the environment (available food, temperature, etc) than whether they're stocked or naturally spawning. Part of my conclusion is based on how trout behave in different lakes, even when they come from the same trout farm.

With that said, I also have to agree with the statement that larger fish are more careful and less aggressive. The smaller ones are so reckless. :)

fishnut9
09-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I think it has more to do with the environment (available food, temperature, etc) than whether they're stocked or naturally spawning. Part of my conclusion is based on how trout behave in different lakes, even when they come from the same trout farm.

With that said, I also have to agree with the statement that larger fish are more careful and less aggressive. The smaller ones are so reckless. :)

Which is kinda ironic because you think the smaller more vulnerable ones would be more scared.

Doc
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. Trout in streams are constantly fighting current making them a leaner, stronger fish. In the warmer months, stream waters tend to be cooler and more oxygen rich than the stillwaters in Alberta making the trout less lethargic and less stressed. With that said however, try fishing Wildhorse Lakes just west of Hinton. These are some of the best fighting, healthiest fish I've fought.

As far as stillwater trout being more picky, trout in lakes have more time, the leisure if you will, to inspect their food items before eating them. Trout in streams have less time to choose what is food as it will pass them by and another high protein meal may not come by again for a while.

Doc
09-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Which is kinda ironic because you think the smaller more vulnerable ones would be more scared.

Natural selection. The bigger trout got bigger for a reason.

wannafish
09-08-2010, 11:52 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Trout in streams are constantly fighting current making them a leaner, stronger fish. In the warmer months, stream waters tend to be cooler and more oxygen rich than the stillwaters in Alberta making the trout less lethargic and less stressed. With that said however, try fishing Wildhorse Lakes just west of Hinton. These are some of the best fighting, healthiest fish I've fought.

As far as stillwater trout being more picky, trout in lakes have more time, the leisure if you will, to inspect their food items before eating them. Trout in streams have less time to choose what is food as it will pass them by and another high protein meal may not come by again for a while.

X2 I think its much harder to fly fish a lake or pond than a river any time of year

fishnut9
09-09-2010, 01:20 AM
X2 I think its much harder to fly fish a lake or pond than a river any time of year

see and thats what i tell my inlaw that river fishing is so much more fun. there is more structure and the trout are more aggressive. But he thinks a trout is a trout and they all act the same.

QBC
09-11-2010, 06:39 AM
There is a huge difference between hatchery fish and wild stocks. I lived in BC for a lot of years and we primarily fished wild stocks instead of lakes that were stocked. It is true that big fish don't get big by being stupid, but fooling a big wild fish is far tougher than fooling a stocked fish. (many elitist fly fishers I know turn their noses up to stocked lakes and wouldn't lower themselves to fish them...:lol:)

I only fly fish for trout and lakes have always been my favorite due to the fact that lake fish are harder to catch. "Matching the hatch" is far more critical with wild fish not to mention the presentation you use. Wild fish do tend to hit more ferociously once they decide to hit mind you, that might be where you're finding them to be more aggressive. I've had far more wild fish break me off on the hit forcing me to switch to heavier tippet. They also fight a lot harder and longer than their stocked cousins, they seem to have a lot more stamina. In lakes that have both wild and stocked fish, you could always tell what one you had on in the first 30 seconds.

Fishfinder
09-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Good question. Never really thought about it much and unfortunately don't get a chance to fish for non-stocked trout very often. That being said, my first thought would be non stocked are more agressive as they have felt the hook least. Second thought though, if a fish has been hooked once or twice(which is more likely in a stocked pond) perhaps they would fight harder as they remember what is about to happen lol.
My vote - stocked fish more aggresive, simply for the reason of mankind tampering. My 2 sense.

3rd thought - I could be totally wrong!:scared0018:

Fishfinder
09-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Now that I have taken the time to read all the replies, QBC and others have raised some valid points. makes sense, wild should be wilder.