PDA

View Full Version : New Fisherkid(s)

FishingMOM
09-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Well 1 more week and I will add another young fisher to the collection.

My sons little buddy (4yrs old) is getting his very first fishing rod and a tackle box.
So last night I sat there and de-barbed every single hook for him.

Sean makes the 10th kid in Alberta I have given fishing equipment to for a birthday or Christmas.

Once his little sister is old enough she will get a rod too!

Over 100 kids back in Ontario.

How many new fishers have you brought along?
Do you give equipment to children?
How often do you bring kids out fishing?

aulrich
09-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Officially I have only created one fishing nut, but with the extended family I have helped with a few more. short of miserable days, I like to take new people when ever possible.

I have never given gear(but it's a good idea) but I am not shy about providing gear for the day.

I have not fished alone for years, the wife told me when she came home yesterday skunkboy(14) was on the greenspace practicing his fly casting. I see way more evenings in the bow in my future.

FishingMOM
09-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Officially I have only created one fishing nut, but with the extended family I have helped with a few more. short of miserable days, I like to take new people when ever possible.

I have never given gear(but it's a good idea) but I am not shy about providing gear for the day.

I have not fished alone for years, the wife told me when she came home yesterday skunkboy(14) was on the greenspace practicing his fly casting. I see way more evenings in the bow in my future.

Evenings on the bow would be fun.

I give the gift of equipment to children because I can. I figure if a kid has their own, they can get out more, and encourage their parents to take them. Or if I have to bring them with me, then I don't run short.

It was just a basic kids rod and box. Cost me $19.00, but will provide someone with the start of a lifetime of fun.
His mom and I discussed how her husband used to love to fish and hunt, however since they got married that he doesnt do any of it. Instead he works 7 days a week. Most weekends he has an excuse why he cant spend time with the family.... so I figure I will help him find time for his son and an old passion.

Remember I am the meanie........
No video games or such!
When I give gifts you can bet that it means kids will be active and outside in order to use them.
Plus I find fishing things make great stocking stuffers, and birthday gifts.

Darren N
09-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I got a two year old girl hooked over the weekend. The next day she woke up and seen me and asked"Darren Fishing, go Fishing?" How can you say no to that. PS she caught her first fish - walleye - just jigging over the peir like in your picture.

formykids
09-08-2010, 12:38 PM
That is a fantastic Idea for a present. I almost never go without my kids and they would not have it any other way , they are 4 and 6, we started bringing a friend along each time we go and thus we have quite a few extra set ups for kids but I like your idea for gifts ... thanks

WayneChristie
09-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I got my 3 boys started early, and introduced my girlfriends son as well. Im always happy to get new people hooked on fishing.

Jayball
09-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I am proud to say I fish with my kids almost every weekend during the summer and often once ice is thick enough. it si my greatest enjoyment as father. last friday sept. 3rd was my birthday and all i wanted was to fish with them!

They are 6 & 8... and i believe they enjoy it a great deal. I enjoy it more though as it is my time alone with them.

We have a little shack at a lake and we head out in my little alum boat for hours. my daughter can cast now so she enjoys that... while my son still jigs. We have little family fishin derbys in the boat. first kid to catch gets a loonie, then its .25 cent for every fish. Last sunday alone i dished out $4 in change in winnings... the wallys were biting hard and it was a ton of fun. I was the sportcaster in the boat doing the play by play. they really got a kick out of that. they use the money to buy hooks and stuff. i bought them their rods.

I have many memorable moments fishing with my children. as a by-product of fishing... there is a lot of learning that happens. my kids know about boat safety... they understand how algae gets on the water. Two weekends ago i took just my daughter out and we drifted over some weed-beds looking for pike. i was using poppers, and other weedless and floating lures. she seemed very interested and asked about them and they work. Through our fishing we have met F&W officers... and all have been great experiences. the kids understand many of the rules around keeping fish etc...

also... the nature factor is huge. i grew up in the boy scouts... and i know how it impacted my life. it is important for kids to understand our ecology and what kind of life is supported by lakes etc.

there is an imprint we make on our kids when we expose them to things we as parents are passionate about. with me its fishing... and for the time being... while they still think its cool to be around dad... its those fishing stories that will bond us closer.

I will end with a request that my daughter made this weekend... that almost made cry for joy. She said... "next weekend, i want to catch a burbut!"

Awesome. Now i just have to get her one.

If any of you that kids that fish that are around the 6 & 8 yo range, connect with me through facebook: search Jay Ball and send me a note youer from the forum. I have tons of fishing pics. It would also be good for them to make some fishin buddies that they can every now and then.

i think a nice day of ice fishing at pigeon with tons of kids and parents would be a blast.

cheers to all,

Jay

5Weight
09-09-2010, 11:05 AM
No kids for me yet, but I went on a northern Sask fishing trip with my two young nephews (4 and 6) and nine-year old niece in August. Talk about an excited boat full of fun!

Last Christmas, gave all some fishing gear to the kids, and the biggest smile and widest eyes of the morning, came from the little guy who opened a present containing his very first fish hook of his OWN! Made uncle pretty happy to see that! He was pumped.

:sHa_shakeshout:

Gillfisher
09-09-2010, 11:57 AM
I have my 11 yr old son hooked on fishing, I have been taking him fishing since he was about 3 yrs old as well as my 13 yr old daughter. My son has really taken fishing especially over the last 2 years he gets real ticked off if I elect to take a friend instead of him.

I will not exclude him anymore as he is my favorite fishing partner and first choice as a fishing partner. I recently purchased a new to me 15 foot boat which he loves to operate. He likes to help trailer and launch the boat as well as helping to prepare it for travel and also starting the boat and getting us to the fishing spots.

As a father it makes me very proud to watch him delvelop his fishing & boating skills. He has his own fishing tackle rod & reel and like most of us he gets real ticked off when he looses any of his gear. There is no one I would rather take than my son or daughter.

Gillfisher

WayneChristie
09-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Jay its amazing how fast they grow up, and even when they are off on their own its still a treat to fish with my boys whenever we have the opportunity. Sometimes Im nice and let them outfish me :fishing:

FishBrain
09-09-2010, 07:39 PM
I have gotten my 3 kids into fishing, so far 2 have the "fever" I think boy is still young and likes to run around instead of fishing.
We went camping this year and the girls both caught a nice keeper walleye, Eva (the oldest) caught the largest in the park for the weekend, 53cm!!!

FishingMOM
09-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Okay so yesterday was the birthday party for my sons little buddy. This is the kid we most recently gave a fishing rod and tackle box with some stuff in it.

Well the father said flat out he wont be taking his son fishing. He has to work. Rather he wants to spend more time in the office than with his kid.
I looked him in the face and flat out told him that is fine, I will teach your wife, son and baby daughter to fish, we wouldn't want you to go out of your way for YOUR family. :argue2:

It ****es me off to no end to see parents who rather spend their weekends in the office. Work isn't the be all and end all of life.
For crying out loud people take the time to spend some quality time with your kids. They are our future.

I already knew he was a smuck to begin with. In the 4 years I have known the family the father has only come out to 2 outings to do things with his kid.
The mom and I have taught the child how to do things, that are normally taught by the fathers. Even my son asks why does child XYZ have a daddy if his daddy just ignores him? He then said to me Mommy I'm glad I dont have a daddy especially if he ignored me like XYZ daddy does to him.

Jayball
09-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Okay so yesterday was the birthday party for my sons little buddy. This is the kid we most recently gave a fishing rod and tackle box with some stuff in it.

Well the father said flat out he wont be taking his son fishing. He has to work. Rather he wants to spend more time in the office than with his kid.
I looked him in the face and flat out told him that is fine, I will teach your wife, son and baby daughter to fish, we wouldn't want you to go out of your way for YOUR family. :argue2:

It ****es me off to no end to see parents who rather spend their weekends in the office. Work isn't the be all and end all of life.
For crying out loud people take the time to spend some quality time with your kids. They are our future.

I already knew he was a smuck to begin with. In the 4 years I have known the family the father has only come out to 2 outings to do things with his kid.
The mom and I have taught the child how to do things, that are normally taught by the fathers. Even my son asks why does child XYZ have a daddy if his daddy just ignores him? He then said to me Mommy I'm glad I dont have a daddy especially if he ignored me like XYZ daddy does to him.

Tough one to judge as i don't know their situation. While I pride myself on fishing with kids almost every summer weekend... I too have been guilty of working late on weeknights to get caught up or ahead.

Its all about choices and priorities.

FishingMOM
09-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Tough one to judge as i don't know their situation. While I pride myself on fishing with kids almost every summer weekend... I too have been guilty of working late on weeknights to get caught up or ahead.

Its all about choices and priorities.

Like I said in the 4 yrs, he has come to 2 outings. Not for lack of trying to involve him.

I had ok'd the fishing stuff with the mom before giving it to her son. She felt it would be good to get her husband to stop working so much and spend time with their son.

At the end of the day the kid is the one who suffers because his dad cant be bothered to do things with him. I spend a lot of my time teaching other parents kids how to fish, swim, and other outdoor activities. Why can't the men in their lives do it themselves? Thankfully this child and his mom are a pleasure to be around, so taking them out fishing isn't a big issue in the grand scheme of things.

The only good childhood memories I have of my father involved fishing. Without fishing in my childhood and living right by the water I am sure I wouldn't be alive today. Fishing was my sanity time, my safe place.

Rick.
09-21-2010, 08:14 AM
I've had the good fortune to be present with several "first time" catches and it means the world to me. I've never witnessed kids being so excited and I wouldn't trade those moments for anything. I've given a few rod/reel combo's as gifts and seen them go straight into storage in the garage. Every kid on my boat has lots of tackle to pick from. One afternoon this summer we got on the water at noon and I didn't string my rod until after five. Now that would never happen unless I'm with kids. I enjoyed your picture, especially laughed at the line twist curls from the rods to the bobbers.