PDA

View Full Version : What Fly Rod is Best

Bamm Bamm
09-08-2010, 05:42 PM
I have a question that might have a simple answer. I am looking at buying a new 6wt fly rod. I know what kind I want the only question that I am still wondering about is the diffrence in a 2pc and a 4pc. I understand the diffrence in the packability, but is there any diffrences in the technical side of things??

fishpro
09-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Technology has advanced to the point that there is very little difference in the actions of 2 and 4 piece rods. More important is that the rod matches your casting style. Go to a fly shop and ask to test a few rods and see which one you like best.

zabbo
09-08-2010, 06:58 PM
The one that catches the most fish! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just couldn't help myself.

ericlin0122
09-08-2010, 08:14 PM
The one that catches the most fish! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just couldn't help myself.

x2

Bamm Bamm
09-08-2010, 08:21 PM
I am looking at the 6wt Sage Z-axis. the diffrence in the 2pc to the 4pc is 60+ dollars???

fishpro
09-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I'd pay the extra for the 4 piece. It's worth the extra for the convenience.

Bamm Bamm
09-08-2010, 08:36 PM
So that is all it comes down too, convenience? Wow who would have thought.

Overdrawn
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Go with a Temple Fork, made in Calgary, Lifetime Unlimited warrenty. You can slam it in the door, Jam it in the bank of a river, snap it half and they will still warrenty it. And plus go cast one. There designed by Lefty Kreh. There an awsome rod. And Priced very well. Way less then a Sage of the same quality. Not say Sage are bad, I have a 5wt Sage and love it. But my Temple Fork preforms the same for a 1/3 of the cost.

Overdrawn
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Defintly a 4pc. they pack down so nice.

billie
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
4 pc fits in a back pack.

X2 on the Temple Fork. Quality case included in the price.

thumper610
09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
I have to agree with Overdrawn ,Temple fork is a nice rod i own a 3 wt and a 6 .I broke my 3 wt and for 25 dollars they replaced it no questions asked

Retired
09-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Here is an interesting comparison ... http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/flyrodcomparisonalbrightg.loomisorvissagescotttemp leforkthomasthomastommorganrodsmithsr.l.winstonrod testing.asp rated Temple as last

Bamm Bamm
09-08-2010, 10:44 PM
When you buy A TFO rod how do you register it with the company to get the warrenty?

Bamm Bamm
09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
But again the question was is there a technical diffrence in the 4pc and the 2pc rod?? any rod it dosent have to be a sage.

fishpro
09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I own a couple Temple fork rods myself, and although they are decent rods, they're nothing spectacular. The 5wt TiCr requires a very heavy reel just to balance it and I've heard they are very prone to breaking.

Also, they're not made in Calgary, they're made in Asia and shipped to the distributor in Calgary.

fishpro
09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
But again the question was is there a technical diffrence in the 4pc and the 2pc rod?? any rod it dosent have to be a sage.

In the past there was a larger difference apparently as the ferrels were of low quality and created stiff points in the rod that could affect its action. Hence a 4 piece wouldn't have as nice of an action. From everything I've heard there's no longer a difference, there's a difference in price simply because it takes longer to make a four piece rod.

Pikebreath
09-08-2010, 11:25 PM
If you have trouble counting,,, go for a two piece rod :lol:

Seriously, today's four piece rods do cast as well as their two piece counterparts which wasn't always the case when muliti piece rods first hit the market.

Sage, Loomis, Winston, Orvis, Scott etc all make good rods as does TFO, Redington, Echo, Pieroway etc. Todays fly angler willing to spend a $100 or more is pretty much guarenteed to find a rod that is as good as the caster holding it.

In today's world everyone seems to be comparing TFO to Sage (for good reason btw as TFO are generally good sticks) This is probably the best advertising TFO can get. For what it's worth, TFO has a lot of heavyweights in the flyfishing industy in its corner and is particularily well regarded in the salt water arena where the casts and fish are bigger and tougher.

And FWIW product reviews don't always tell the whole story. The Yellowstone Angler review's objectivity has been seriously questioned as the Yellowstone Angler sells rods and the retail mark up on a Sage or Loomis is significantly greater than a TFO rod,,, and it was done at time when TFO was gaining market share at the expense of the established major rod companies.

Doc
09-08-2010, 11:28 PM
TFO makes a great entry level rod and it casts nice for the beginner and even makes a great back-up rod. But come on folks, comparing a TFO LK Sig series rod to the Sage Z-Axis he's considering? That's like comparing a sunfire to a BMW Z4. Comparing it to Sage launch would be a little closer but the sage is still a better casting rod. For the price though (what are they now, $128) it's a great entry level rod with a good warranty.

Go with the 4pc.

Cheers,
Doc

Pikebreath
09-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Doc,

Like Sage. TFO has several models ranging from "introductory" to "expert". the biggest diference being Sage's top end is 2- 3 times more costly than TFO. Are we to conclude that a Sage Axis or xi3 is 3 times better than a TFO TiCr X or Axiom from that?

Check out this site http://www.danblanton.com/bulletin.php (this may be very well one of the top 3 flyfishing sites on the web) and do a search for TFO.

TFO has some very well connected fly anglers on their side which didn't happen because they were making merely introductory rods.

Doc
09-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Doc,

Like Sage. TFO has several models ranging from "introductory" to "expert". the biggest diference being Sage's top end is 2- 3 times more costly than TFO. Are we to conclude that a Sage Axis or 3 times better than a TFO TiCr X or Axiom from that?

Pikebreath, TFO does have some great rods, I enjoy the TiCr (although I enjoy the z-axis much better) and depending on an anglers casting style, it may be a better rod for that angler than a Sage z-axis. Personally, I like the action from my RPL better than any of the newer sage rods, but it fits my casting style and I just feel very relaxed and comfortable casting it. With that said, my last post was made for those referring specifically to the TFO entry level rods.

TFO has some very well connected fly anglers on their side which didn't happen because they were making merely introductory rods.

But we all know, it's very hard to make a serious living in the fishing industry and fly fishing is even harder. There is a very small percentage of people making a good living in the fly fishing world. What's not hard however, is to get someone to put their name on something when you throw a bunch of money at them and them give them the opportunity to create their own rod, well who wouldn't? I don't blame them a bit. Honestly, Lefty could have came up with a signature series broom stick and make it look like he was casting a 3wt.

tbone616
09-09-2010, 12:32 AM

No, just more pieces.

Pikebreath
09-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Besides Lefty, you can add Bob Clouser, Ed Jaworowski, Nick Curcione, Jim Teeny, Flip Pallot, Gary and Wanda Taylor, Mike Kinney, Bob Meiser and even Gary Loomis (spinning rod design) to the TFO stable.

The TFO pimping argument has been made many times by TFO detractors,,, but you have to admit that's a lot of flyfishing knowledge, experience and reputations flogging rods that carry a working man's price tag.

Not saying that Sage, Loomis et all do not make great casting rods. They do cast very well, but they also cost more than rods from companies like TFO and Pieroway (a local company with great rods at a great price point as well).

As much as Sage would like us to believe you can buy 20 extra feet with their rod over any other rod, the truth still is the average caster with a $900 rod will still not cast as well or as far as an expert caster will with a $300 rod.

I think we can all agree that todays fly angler has never had so many good rod choices at price points to suit most budgets.

Tight lines!

fisherwoman
09-09-2010, 01:24 AM
I love my TFO. Great quality for the price, I thought. It came with a warranty card to send in, and you can also send in the warranty info online.
Now that I know catching fish sometimes requires a hike through the thick brush... I wish I had gotten a 4 piece.

Overdrawn
09-09-2010, 05:41 AM
Here is an interesting comparison ... http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/flyrodcomparisonalbrightg.loomisorvissagescotttemp leforkthomasthomastommorganrodsmithsr.l.winstonrod testing.asp rated Temple as last

GO GO USA, CANUCK HATERS!!!! if its made in Canada it suck. USA built all the way. I guess if you want to think like a yank, buy like a yank.

Doc
09-09-2010, 07:54 AM
GO GO USA, CANUCK HATERS!!!! if its made in Canada it suck. USA built all the way. I guess if you want to think like a yank, buy like a yank.

TFO's are made in Korea, not Canada. And in that review, the TFO finesse rated pretty dam good compared to it's competition of more expensive rods and kicked but on the TFO TiCr-X.

Doc
09-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Besides Lefty, you can add Bob Clouser, Ed Jaworowski, Nick Curcione, Jim Teeny, Flip Pallot, Gary and Wanda Taylor, Mike Kinney, Bob Meiser and even Gary Loomis (spinning rod design) to the TFO stable.

The TFO pimping argument has been made many times by TFO detractors,,, but you have to admit that's a lot of flyfishing knowledge, experience and reputations flogging rods that carry a working man's price tag.

Yes a ton of knowledge and some good rods are coming out of it. But the better these rods get, the more the prices will rise and soon they'll have a rod as good or maybe even better than Sage. Of course when that happens the sticker price will be a lot closer to Sage as well.

As much as Sage would like us to believe you can buy 20 extra feet with their rod over any other rod, the truth still is the average caster with a $900 rod will still not cast as well or as far as an expert caster will with a $300 rod.

I think we can all agree that todays fly angler has never had so many good rod choices at price points to suit most budgets.

Tight lines!

No argument here.

jeprli
09-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Few weeks back I bought my first "real" fly rod, TFO NXT or something like that, 9' 5/6 weight. Nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done. I'm a total beginner at flyfishing and in few outings I've managed to learn casting dries(caught two browns on olive caddis), and tried some nymphing(although I'm not a big fan of this kind of flyfishing) caught a real nice white and missed a bunch. For $150 I'm a very happy new flyfisherman.

I personally have not tried any of the upper price range rods(i can only imagine how good they are), but this one suits me well for the Bow river, casting 30'-35' of line is fairly easy. Hopefully it doesn't rain tonight and i can go out to catch another one....

For you guys who like higher end stuff I would take a good look at CD(Composite dynamics) out of kiwi land, some amazing rods to fish with, including the spinning series(which are amazing).

Jayball
09-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Go with a Temple Fork, made in Calgary, Lifetime Unlimited warrenty. You can slam it in the door, Jam it in the bank of a river, snap it half and they will still warrenty it. And plus go cast one. There designed by Lefty Kreh. There an awsome rod. And Priced very well. Way less then a Sage of the same quality. Not say Sage are bad, I have a 5wt Sage and love it. But my Temple Fork preforms the same for a 1/3 of the cost.

temple fork is made in calgary? thx for that... i had know idea and i have two of their rods. love them!

Jayball
09-09-2010, 08:53 AM
temple fork is made in calgary? thx for that... i had know idea and i have two of their rods. love them!

i just went to their website... are you sure they are made in calgary? i could not find info on that.... just US locations.

Cheers.

slingshotz
09-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Nothing is really made in Calgary. Even Pieroway rods are only assembled in Calgary as their blanks are from Asia. That being said, both TFO and Pieroway have offices here so it's much easier to get things replaced locally and that's an awesome benefit. When my NZ rod broke, it's quite a pain to ship it all the way back to NZ and fairly costly.

TFO are not made in Calgary as far as I know, they only have an office here. The other good rod manufacturer that is Canadian is Amundson, I'd consider their products as well. Their reels have been awesome for me.

Tofinofish
09-09-2010, 09:14 AM
As mentioned already in the thread, not made in Canada but distributed out of Calgary.
TFO has been an excellent rod for the price IMHO based on experience as a retailer and outfitter.
Most anglers these days end up kicking themselves for buying 2 vs 4 piece so I would think about that. We sell and use 4 piece now almost exclusively.

I don't know about lining up the Sage Z-Axis beside the TFO to say they are "apples to apples", but when you are looking for a quality rod for less $ you can rely on TFO for sure. We have ordered 3 different warranty pieces in the last 2 weeks from the TFO distributor in Calgary, and the process is simple and reliable.
Sage is an excellent product, but when you deal with broken pieces/warranty, my experience with shipping and border brokerage is not very positive. Sage factory was not the hang up, but the border was.

Go for the 4 piece...

J.

Calgaryguy1977
09-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Hey Folks,
I'm the owner of a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional series 5 wt 9 ft 4 piece rod. I just started fly fishing this summer so maybe I don't know what i'm missing out on but I was pretty rough on mine, caught plenty of fish and learned just as I would have on any other rod. My rod was $169 I believe and I lucked out because BassPro had a special on where if I bought that rod they would throw a reel in. I'm a beginner who was hard on his rod and I endorse the TFO rods myself. Being a noob though, I haven't had a chance to try a high end one.

I was thinking of buying an ADG graphite rod for maybe next season from this site
http://www.precisionflyrods.com/
I met the guy out in Kananaskis one day and he's from just north of Calgary. I can tell you he has some pretty good rods. I seen those ADG rods in action and they look and work pretty nice it seems.

boot
09-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I agree with the 4 piece. I'm not an expert, but the performance differences between 2 and 4 pieces are supposedly negligible these days. The convenience factor is more than worth the price difference.

Best thing to do is to try out the fly rod and purchase the best rod for you that fits your budget.

Anyhow, good luck with your search and tell us what you get!

TexasTornado
09-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey Folks,
I'm the owner of a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional series 5 wt 9 ft 4 piece rod. I just started fly fishing this summer so maybe I don't know what i'm missing out on but I was pretty rough on mine, caught plenty of fish and learned just as I would have on any other rod. My rod was $169 I believe and I lucked out because BassPro had a special on where if I bought that rod they would throw a reel in. I'm a beginner who was hard on his rod and I endorse the TFO rods myself. Being a noob though, I haven't had a chance to try a high end one.

I was thinking of buying an ADG graphite rod for maybe next season from this site
http://www.precisionflyrods.com/
I met the guy out in Kananaskis one day and he's from just north of Calgary. I can tell you he has some pretty good rods. I seen those ADG rods in action and they look and work pretty nice it seems.

I got the same rod and same deal when i bought my TFO 6wt at BPS.

TexasTornado
09-09-2010, 10:17 AM
i just went to their website... are you sure they are made in calgary? i could not find info on that.... just US locations.

Cheers.

I am pretty sure they are made in Dallas, TX

Okotokian
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I am looking at the 6wt Sage Z-axis. the diffrence in the 2pc to the 4pc is 60+ dollars???

Go with it. Sages are great rods, a 4 piece is more transportable and you will notice no difference in performance between a 2 and 4 piece. I've never noticed any odd or asymetric flexing, just a little more "put together time" vs more portability. 6 wt is good for around here, or a 5.

Tungsten,
09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I own both a 2 piece 5wt Z and a 4 piece 6wt Z.I find the 2 .piece to be just a little crisper.But i only notice this when i cast them back to back.
If i had the choice for a 6wt i would go 2 pc.Since your most likely casting large stuff and not taking this rod hiking.If it was a 3wt then i would go 4.

ericlin0122
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
GUYS........... TFO is made in Korea! they just happen to have their store in Calgary. They are NOT MADE in Canada.

PlayDoh
09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I own both tfo & sage. As a first rod go with the tfo, cause if u break it u'll have to wait to fish again. with a tfo, you can drive to the shop and get a replacement. I don't really prefer my sage to my tfo, & I could do everything the same with both.

The "technology" now with rods is to make them super thin and light, so they're very, very fragile. The simple shipping factor is enough to put tfo ahead of anything else, in calgary.

I would assume the blanks are make in Korea, and then made in to rods here, so one could argue their made in both places. Neither which really matters, since as far as an owner cares, their made in Calgary.

I promise you that as a beginer you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a launch and a TFO entry rod. Fly fishing isn't for everyone, even the best motivated. Snags, tangles and spending lots of money on flies you only got to see once will test your 'desire'. With that in mind, don't spend too much to begin with.

Ask a guy on the river if he could catch as many fish with a $100 setup, as he does with what he's using, and he'll say yes. Unless he lies. lol. You don't need fancy expensive gear in any way, in fact it may work against you, and if it breaks, gets stolen your out more $.

Get a $200-$300 setup at the most to begin with, and buy cheap, inexpensive flies. You can get them on ebay and online for like 30 cents each. Maxima leader/tippet, and spend the time to learn what type of action you'd prefer, before you spend good money on a rod. Also, you can keep the $50 reel for life, cause its all you need in AB. To be honest the budget rod will do you for life also, but boys like shiny toys. lol

Don't get caught up in trying to look like you know what your doing with fancy, expensive gear. Cause you'll look like a fool when some guy walks up with a pair of jeans and a fenwick and pulls fish out all around you. lol.

Bamm Bamm
09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I think this discussion is totally leaning away from my original point. I was looking for the diffrence between a 2pc rod and a 4pc rod. I have been fly fishing for many years and finally decided to buy myself a nice new rod. I have been using the Berkly that was given to me by my grandfather for years now and want a new one. I have tested the Sage Z-axis rod in the past and love the feel and it matches my casting stroke, so I am buying one. I was just trying to decide what was going to be better a 2pc or a 4pc. I have never owned a 4pc and dont know what they are like. I didnt know if it was just a convenient thing or if there was something technical about them. Thanks for all the feed back.

Okotokian
09-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I think this discussion is totally leaning away from my original point. I was looking for the diffrence between a 2pc rod and a 4pc rod. I have been fly fishing for many years and finally decided to buy myself a nice new rod. I have been using the Berkly that was given to me by my grandfather for years now and want a new one. I have tested the Sage Z-axis rod in the past and love the feel and it matches my casting stroke, so I am buying one. I was just trying to decide what was going to be better a 2pc or a 4pc. I have never owned a 4pc and dont know what they are like. I didnt know if it was just a convenient thing or if there was something technical about them. Thanks for all the feed back.

Then the answer is very very simple. Go to the store and try both in the parking lot. I'm guessing you won't find much difference, but if you do that will make your choice for you. "Feel" is something others can't tell you about. You try, You decide.

mikeym
09-09-2010, 01:59 PM
get the 4 pc rod. very little casting difference between the two but the convience of the 4 pc makes it hands down the best choice. easier to store and pack around is the best reason to buy a 4pc. i can throw all my gear including rod into one bag to lug around where with a 2pc i would have to keep the rod separate from the bag. even if a 2 pc would fit in the bag, it would get damaged way too easily from moving the bag around.

4 c would be my vote. i have many friends that have 2pc and 4 pc setups (not of same rod, but similiar rods) and they all prefer the 4 pc even for casting and rarely take the 2pc out anymore.

rgds
Mike

Kingfisher
09-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Another brand that has not been thrown around here is the Reddington. I have the 5wt 9'6" CPX and find it casts as nice as my 10' 5wt Zaxis. A very nice rod for half the price of the Zaxis. Plus the components are a better quality than the Sage. It's a shame that Sage won't put on the best components on their rods concidering the price they charge for their rods.

As for the TFO and other rods mentioned. They are good entry level rods. Great for starting out and getting a feel of fly fishing. After a few years of using a TFO then I'd say to try out some of the better rods. You'll find that the higher end rods aren't all just about cost.

As for the debate from 2 to 4 piece. I'd say today you'll be well advised to get the 4 piece. If you get the 2 piece you will find that it just doesn't pack away nicely when your traveling. Even if it's a 10 minute drive to the river or lake.

If anyone has any illusions as to where the majority of the rods today are made, they are either manufactured in Korea or China. It's all about economics.

So as many have already said. Go to the store and try out some different brands and their different models. You might be suprised as to what suits you better. It might not be the most expensive or the cheapest. But you'll likely find somewhere in between that you find one that fits your casting style and feels best to you.

Rob

Tungsten,
09-09-2010, 03:24 PM
How many of you actually break down your 4 pc back into the tube?
Myself i find that they stay as a 2 pc and are in my rod cases, reel attached and ready to go.
Sure it makes sense to have a 4pc for when you travel long distances and need the room.But if your fishing local having them in your rod case with the line threw your guides and a fly on the end is way more convenient.And don't tell me you don't store your rods that way.
Also another PITA is your always making sure that all 4 pc's are together and lined up.They come apart from time to time.Plus you have more male ends to keep clean.I no i'm reaching for excuses but just saying that 4pc rods aren't always the right choice.Just my .02

Overdrawn
09-09-2010, 04:36 PM
TFO's are made in Korea, not Canada. And in that review, the TFO finesse rated pretty dam good compared to it's competition of more expensive rods and kicked but on the TFO TiCr-X.

I was by no means nocking TFO I love all of there products and was told by a TFO rep they were made in Calgary, sorry my mistake.

pikester
09-09-2010, 04:51 PM
To answer your main question about 2pc vs 4pc, there is very little difference. 2pc rods do seem to dampen smoother & a little quicker than 4pc rods but the difference is negligable. As to the quality issue 15 or 20 yrs ago it was a huge difference from manufacturer to manufacturer but now most rod manufacturers have access to all the same composites & materials so it is virtually a non-issue now. The only real drawbacks to 4pc rods is there are 2 more pieces to lose or break!

TFO rods are definitely made offshore; there's no way you could produce a rod from scratch in Canada of that quality & make money at the prices they sell for. I still prefer my Sages & my T&T over my TFO's ( I have 3 TFO's , 2 Sages, & 1 Thomas & Thomas) but there is NOTHING wrong with the quality & durability of the TFO rods.

Overdrawn
09-09-2010, 07:36 PM
4pc are a bit moderate compared to a 2pc. But it all depends were your going to store and how you want to pack it. Packing a 2pc on a 2km mountain through the bush sucks. If going for lakes 2pc are good. either way you look at 2pc and 4pc are both good. it all depends on yourself and your needs.

Fordman150
09-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Here is the TFO Canada website link

http://www.templeforkoutfitters.ca/

Their Distribution centre is Springbrook Mfg. based out of SE Calgary. They take care of any warranty claim.. And it is now $30 to claim not $25. Bought a combo 5/6 wt NXT at the fishinhole's sale a few weeks back.. one for me and one for my boy.. We love them so far..

Bamm Bamm
09-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I am buying a Sage Z-Axis.

Tungsten,
09-09-2010, 10:28 PM
LOL, I think the thread title throws people off.Good luck with your purchase.

Bamm Bamm
09-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Ya I know, I screwed up. hahaha lot of good advice though. I am thinking of a TFO as a back up rod now..

billie
09-09-2010, 10:37 PM

In 2 pc or 4 pc?:thinking-006:

Tungsten,
09-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Ya I know, I screwed up. hahaha lot of good advice though. I am thinking of a TFO as a back up rod now..

I here they hold up tomato plants well.:sSc_hiding:

Doc
09-10-2010, 09:30 AM
I here they hold up tomato plants well.:sSc_hiding:

Drive-by-posting :fighting0007: lol

DanJ
10-10-2010, 09:56 PM
If the rod you like is a Sage and you can afford it, you should not allow yourself to be talked into a less expensive TFO just because it has an attractive warranty. Guys in the business will tell you, that warranty gets used pretty heavily. In other words, TFO rods break sometimes with no help from you.

I bought a TFO Signature 9' 6wt for my wife a few years ago and it seemed okay to me then - pretty good, actually. Today, new Signature 9' 6wts have a different feel and I would not buy another today, not even with someone else's money. They are not the same.

I handle and I have owned a lot of fly rods and my perception is a 4 piece rod of the same blank is very, very slightly faster than that of a 2 piece. Having an extra two ferrules instead of plain rod blank inevitably interferes slightly with the action.

As the years go by you will find:

1 - any dissatisfaction you have with a new rod will only get worse not better as time goes by. Buy a cheap rod just to save one or two hundred bucks that you could have afforded to spend and the day will come sooner than later that you have a bad day casting and you'll blame the rod.

2 - Buy a rod that speaks to you and that you love the moment you grasp and flex it in the store, and you will never regret it. Of all my fly rods, I can say this about only two (one is a 4 piece by the way). Your best gear - whether it is a fly rod, shotgun, a car or even a woman - should speak to you sweetly and with love. It should be something you will be proud to have and that will give you enjoyment, not excuses.

3 - The day will come when you have a chance to take a fishing trip trip to Newfoundland or England and you might have a problem if your rod is a 2 piece. If you love the 4 piece Sage and can afford the extra $60 then that's the rod you should buy.

If you love the TFO, buy it because you love it and not because you can get a free one when you break it. Then when it's yours, make a point of taking good care of it and don't break it. The free replacement TFO you get years from now is NOT guaranteed to be the same as the rod you buy today.

Sorry, sometimes I go on too much. Summary: buy the best you can afford, don't buy it if you don't like it, and once it's yours ENJOY it.

Gun+Rod
10-10-2010, 10:05 PM
www.pierowayrods.com

Made in Calgary. Best rod i have ever fished with. Contact Geoff and you can build your own rod.

Darren N
10-11-2010, 08:53 AM
I have never tried a sage simply because it was out of my price range. Years back i bought a 9' 6W TFO and never looked back. The only thing I upgraded on it was the flyline which made all the difference (an extra 10-20 yards difference). An eyelit came loose on the bottom and I simply glued it back on and no problems. I let someone else borrow my fly rod and watched him cast with it, and he was incredible with it. I was glad of the post above that also mentioned the little difference between the two as I wondered if I could afford it, would I upgrade? My best advice is the reel really only holds the line and does nothing for casting, a good TFO rod is comparable to the higher end rods, and the line you have on makes the bigger difference. My opinion only.