PDA

View Full Version : ATV rules and regs

nabors-roughie
10-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Hey all, could someone please clarify the regs with regards to ATV use while hunting. The regulations are confusing. Unless of course I'm just over thinking them. They state:

It is unlawful to:
--carry a weapon on an ohv BETWEEN 1 HOUR BEFORE SUNRISE AND THE FOLLOWIONG NOON during an open season for big game on public lands in the following WMU's (List follows). This does not apply when the operator is on a direct route to or from a location accesible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view and in seperate locked containers.

My questions are

1: If I were to go hunting Monday Oct 8 in region 350 and started driving my quad at 630 am (more than 1 hour before sunrise) does this mean I can't remount my quad with the weapon until Tuesday Oct 9 at 1201 or does this apply to the immediate noon .Which in this case would be Monday at 1201

2: Does this also mean I can hunt from my quad in ANY WMU as long as a "vehicle designed for highway travel" can go ?

3:Is a gun boot ( like a Koplin ) considered out of view?

Hopefully someone out there can clear this up for me. Thank you

stubblejumper
10-07-2007, 09:41 AM
1: If I were to go hunting Monday Oct 8 in region 350 and started driving my quad at 630 am (more than 1 hour before sunrise) does this mean I can't remount my quad with the weapon until Tuesday Oct 9 at 1201 or does this apply to the immediate noon .Which in this case would be Monday at 1201

It's not when you start riding that matters,as long as the weapon is off of the ATV from one hour before sunrise until noon.You can ride until one hour before sunrise,then get off the ATV,then remount it at noon the same day.

This does not apply when the operator is on a direct route to or from a location accesible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite

2: Does this also mean I can hunt from my quad in ANY WMU as long as a "vehicle designed for highway travel" can go ?

My interpretation is that you can take the weapon on your ATV from your highway vehicle drop off point on a direct route to your isolated campsite.If you aren't going on a direct route to a campsite,the exception would not apply.

elkhunter1234
10-07-2007, 10:08 AM
stubblejumper is bang on the money....

-JR-
10-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Can't wait until they build a hunting machine that is also street legal,so I can use it in the morning.
Getting tired of using my enduro motercycle.

stubblejumper
10-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Can't wait until they build a hunting machine that is also street legal,so I can use it in the morning.
Getting tired of using my enduro motercycle.

Personally,I prefer to hunt on my own two legs,and to use ATVs only to retrieve game.

Rackmastr
10-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Personally,I prefer to hunt on my own two legs,and to use ATVs only to retrieve game.

+1.....