PDA

View Full Version : Wtb-gps

Rudy198
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
looking at getting a gps for hunting.I don't wanna drop alot of money on one but was wondering if anyone has some feedback on a good gps to get..
I was looking at a Garmin E-Trek but not sure if it good enough,also if i do buy one do i have to buy software for it,or does it come with it?Any help would help,Thanks

lilsundance
10-09-2007, 08:41 PM
etrex legend at Walmart right now with the Canadian topo map is only $199. The topo map itself is $175.

Rudy198
10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
how easy is the gps to use,never used 1.Not really sure how to get started

shekaree
10-09-2007, 09:08 PM
etrex has 6 different models. You should check the internal memory of the gps you are buying. Some have built in memory and some can be extended by adding a card to it. Another important thing to look for is that High sensitive receiver. If you can really afford it then the best one is Garmin 60csx.

No matter what model you get, make sure that you get Garmin. I have used many gps for over 7 years and did my did my maters degree in GIS (geographic Information Science) and trust me, Garmin are the best.

scooterj
10-09-2007, 09:48 PM
The Legend now has that Wallyworld thing:Price rollback, it's now $150 !!!:cool:

altaberg
10-09-2007, 10:09 PM
etrex has 6 different models. You should check the internal memory of the gps you are buying. Some have built in memory and some can be extended by adding a card to it. Another important thing to look for is that High sensitive receiver. If you can really afford it then the best one is Garmin 60csx.

No matter what model you get, make sure that you get Garmin. I have used many gps for over 7 years and did my did my maters degree in GIS (geographic Information Science) and trust me, Garmin are the best.

sorry Buddy, have to disagree with you.
Have lived many occasions where my old magellan 320 had a fix on satelites and posiiton in difficult terrains (canyons, tree covers, even inside huts) while buddies Garmin did not or took a lot longer. Have to admit that I never did an objective comparison but that's my experience.

Rudy there was a thread on this forum about GPSs not too long ago where there were some good discussions. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

You should first think about what you really need. I really mostly use it to give me location, some times speed and direction and for marking waypoints.
Not sure I have much use for the fancy maps. If I need a map I carry a topo.

There easy to use but there are some pitfalls (wrong map datum). The old discussion had a lot of info

good luck

lilsundance
10-09-2007, 10:22 PM
I might add the gps is not the end all. Carry a compass as a back up for when the batterys go dead.

flipper62
10-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Check out the prices at http://www.gpscentral.ca/

I purchased a Garmin 60 CSX , it comes with a $50 mail in rebate and the accessories are the best price you will find. A little more than I wanted to spend at first, I hope to never have to upgrade or learn how use an other unit, all the bels and whistles I will ever need.

I placed an order on Wednesday and picked it up at the post office on Saturday
You can get TOPO Canada for $119 when you buy a GPS unit, All the topo maps you will ever need. Make sure you get one with enough memory. Certain models allow you to use micro SD cards. (Garmin 60 CSX). Garmin will not you to read the "E-Topo" format.

Good luck
Phil

altaberg
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
here is our old thread and discussion:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=4679

guidehunt
10-10-2007, 08:49 AM
been useing gps for 15 yrs get garmin 60 csx it is best one i have used

HotHook
10-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Rudy198.I would also suggest the Garmin GPS.I find they are the most user friendly.I see you are in Edmonton,If I can help you in understanding the use of Garmin 60 series send me a PM.
HotHook

shekaree
10-10-2007, 09:22 AM
60csx is the best so far hand held gps. I have been using it for a while and love it. I will hightly suggest all gps user to use Enerfizer lithium batteries in it because these are the best ones out. They work really good in sub zero temp and lasts very long. These batteries are pricey and cost $18 for 4 pack at Radio Shack.

Rudy198
10-10-2007, 03:12 PM
i was at Discover GPS see a few the Legend was $145 with basic software....But then the guy told me there was an oilfield map that shouws alot of things such and pipelines,cut blocks,and secondary roads that the basic doesn't show.Well that oilfield map was $175,so i guess want i'm wondering is does a guy really need it for hunting especially up in 337-338 or any oilfield area?I heard it is easy to get lost up there,is that true?Ilooked at the 60 and 70 series but very expensive for me NOW.

Would the legend be a great buy?

Rudy198
10-10-2007, 05:17 PM
I just came back from Wal-Mart and seen they had the Legend with the Topo map for $200.....Looks like a great deal considering the Legend is $150 and Topo is $175...Would you buy it?

lilsundance
10-10-2007, 05:38 PM
definetly I would. I had the legend and am looking at buying it again with that deal. The one I had I shorted out ( my own fault) so am lookng to replace it. Its all I need for marking locations, tracking and using the topo map for the area I hunt in.

theduke
10-11-2007, 02:57 AM
i use a megellan explorist 500 great unit cant complain they sometimes put them on sale londondrugs canadain tire other places u can pick one up for arond 250ish