PDA

View Full Version : Price of getting deer sausage made at the butchers?

Jamez74
09-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Just wondering what approximately the price per pound is for getting deer sausage made? I brought in 17 lbs, pure lean venison, to a local butcher in Medicine hat and got some 50/50 sausage made.

I got the bill today and almost fell over. Its 98 bucks. I haven't had any made for a few years but the last time I did get some I probably got almost twice as much for almost half that price.

Just wondering if I am getting screwed or if the price has gone up that much.

Ryry4
09-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I had about 20 lbs of deer made into sausage last fall and the bill was in the $85 range. Not cheap, but it's yummy.

Jamez74
09-22-2010, 03:45 PM
I had about 20 lbs of deer made into sausage last fall and the bill was in the $85 range. Not cheap, but it's yummy.

I guess its not that far off then. Actually now that I think about it i'm pretty sure it was about 13 lbs of deer I brought in. I don't have the actual bill they just called and said it was done with the price.

Still $100 seems kinda high for 25-30 lbs of sausage considering I supplied half the meat lol.

Ryry4
09-22-2010, 04:02 PM
I guess its not that far off then. Actually now that I think about it i'm pretty sure it was about 13 lbs of deer I brought in. I don't have the actual bill they just called and said it was done with the price.

Still $100 seems kinda high for 25-30 lbs of sausage considering I supplied half the meat lol.

Yeah, I was shocked when I got my bill too.

Tofinofish
09-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Did the bill outline what the cost was per pound for the Pork added and the sausage is often 2.25 to 3.00 per pound based on processed not finished weight....
It adds up but if you get quality product back, it is hard to get it that good from any store.

Jamez74
09-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Did the bill outline what the cost was per pound for the Pork added and the sausage is often 2.25 to 3.00 per pound based on processed not finished weight....
It adds up but if you get quality product back, it is hard to get it that good from any store.

No I don't have the actual bill yet. They just called with the price and said it was done. I'll be going to pick it up tomorrow.

Just seems to be way more expensive than the last time I had some made.

Redfrog
09-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Sausage or salami? Smoked? Did you have pork added to it. Was the venison ground when you brought it in or did they have to grind it? It all adds up.

Jamez74
09-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Sausage or salami? Smoked? Did you have pork added to it. Was the venison ground when you brought it in or did they have to grind it? It all adds up.

Thread title says sausage, original post says it was made 50/50. Yes I know it all adds up but like I said in the original post I have had this done before, quite a few times, and it was no where near this expensive for the little bit of meat I brought in.

swifthunter
09-22-2010, 05:52 PM
seems pretty pricy. took 50 pounds of deer meat in last year and had jalapeno/cheese smokies made at 50/50 pork-deer and i think it was $200 total for 100 pounds of meat. Deer meat was just cut into chunks not ground or anything

unclebuck
09-22-2010, 05:56 PM
There are so many good recipes out there, buy your own equipment and make it yourself. It will pay for itself in the end, not to mention the family experience in doing it!!! Making sausage at our house is a family project, myself, wife, kids and grandkids. Eating it ends being a neighbourhood project, at our house, and the kids houses. Nothing is more satisfying that doing it yourself.

Darrell
09-22-2010, 06:10 PM
well ,you take in 20lbs. @2.75 per lb.
ask for say?20% pork added@3.00 per lb which would equal 4 lbs.$12.00
so now you have 24lbs @2.75 per lb. + the price of the $12.00 for the pork
cost should be $78.00
thats how they do it.

Darrell

Jamez74
09-22-2010, 06:10 PM
There are so many good recipes out there, buy your own equipment and make it yourself. It will pay for itself in the end, not to mention the family experience in doing it!!! Making sausage at our house is a family project, myself, wife, kids and grandkids. Eating it ends being a neighbourhood project, at our house, and the kids houses. Nothing is more satisfying that doing it yourself.

Yeah I know, I have a grinder and it can be used as a stuffer. I used to work in a meat shop once way back when so I know how to do it, its just finding the time to do it that is the problem hehe.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-22-2010, 06:18 PM
I pay 3.50 a lb includes everything . I useually get 50 lbs of sausage .

billie
09-22-2010, 10:04 PM
We do all our own and track cost pretty closely for sharing costs and comparing year to year. We buy pork halves and cut the chops, ribs and a few roasts out then cube for sausage. Our only all pork sausage is a maple 'breakfast' and the rest is wild meat mix. A typical year is 600-800 lbs but our record is 1400:sign0068: That was a long weekend.

I remember doing $1/lb several years ago but that has climbed steadily and now it's about $2/lb ($1.96 last year). We do a fair amount of pepperoni that goes in 19mm casings along with the breakfast and those casings are pricey ($80/100lb).

Should give you an idea (no labour included:sign0161:)

vcmm
09-23-2010, 09:21 AM
These are all good point's gentlemen but then add in all the costs of goverment regulations dictatated by the general public who never eat it-example cleaning equipment between species somebody has to pay for this.Meaning you and me

omega50
09-23-2010, 01:36 PM
**** my dad used to say!!!!!
Do what you are really good at and hire someone else to do the rest.