PDA

View Full Version : I know it's not the highest quality shot but???

Recon
09-22-2010, 11:54 PM
I know it’s not a preferred shot but where is the best spot to aim at an animal that is facing you?
It isn’t something I would try at a long range but would consider it at less than 10 yards unobstructed.
Has anyone had any success with this shot??
:scared0018:

DJS
09-23-2010, 07:14 AM
This is definatley not something I would do personally but I had a friend shoot a bull moose with a bow that directly facing him. He said he put the arrow right through the brisket and back into the heart. The bull did a cart wheel backwards, took a couple steps and dropped dead.

deer crazy
09-23-2010, 08:48 AM
if its ten yard and you just want the meat do head shot

Trav
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
if its ten yard and you just want the meat do head shot

yeah lets do a head shot shoot at a vital that is smaller than a front on shot.......lol

i would do neither unless the animal was already wounded wait until it passes by or turns and put it in the breadbasket and enjoy your animal

jim-bo
09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I know it’s not a preferred shot but where is the best spot to aim at an animal that is facing you?
It isn’t something I would try at a long range but would consider it at less than 10 yards unobstructed.

a preferred shot is the shot that you would be comfortable taking...

There is alot of vitals exposed on a front facing shot, and I wouldn't hesitate for a good ol' heart shot.

but that is from the ground, from a stand its quite a bit trickier.

You need to imagine the deers vitals and where they are, this is why the Rinehart broadhead buck (exposed vitals) are popular, You can familiarize yourself with shot place in relation to vitals location.

Frontal and quartering to shots present themselves with vast quanities of exposed vitals but hunters are aprehensive about these shots because they may not have practised them or have a fear in their capablities. For years we have been told to take broadside shots and quartering aways shots and honestly these shots are very effective but with practise and familiarity with a quarries anatomy, a hunter can really become more effective and confident in their ablities to ethically take game.

I believe that Outdoor Life had an article a few years back that showed the exposed vitals on front facing deer, quartering to deer, elevated deer (shooting up v. down), vitals in relation to treestand shots, quartering away, sharperly quartering away and the "texas heart shot".

Funny who few of us have actually practised taking those shots on our 3-d targets.

Rocks
09-23-2010, 10:30 AM

That's a low percentage shot, wait for a broadside or quartering shot. I think as bowhunters we owe it to ourselves and the animals to only take high percentage shots.

You might kill one doing that but chances are better you won't.

My thoughts...

timberline
09-23-2010, 12:34 PM
i know it's not the "preferred" shot but if your confident in your shooting skills,there is nothing wrong with this shot,i have taken an elk,cow moose and three deer with the frontal shot,all died very quickly,maybe not as much as a blood trail as a double-lung pass through,but still made for easy tracking.

J.B.
09-24-2010, 09:12 PM
i have no issues taking this shot at close range...shot a mule buck on wednesday this way at about 12 yards....hit him about 1/3 way up the body took out lungs , liver, diaphragm and exited right besied his balls. (yes i got a pass through the long way on a 300 lb buck.)

that said, i am shooting 70 lbs at 29" draw lenght, 653 grain arrow. no 653 is not a typo. i designed my hunting bow and arrow combination for penetration, and use a rangefinder for shots past 25 yards or so....

luvmybow
09-25-2010, 07:24 PM
bow hunting is considered a humane way to hunt unlike rifle hunting it's what we as bow hunters live by! and anyone that is a true bow hunter knows that the only way to kill a ANIMAL IS AT THE VITALS,so the advice we would give to a fellow bow hunter is wait for a true vital shot which means broad shot or quatering away, as far as an animal facing you well lets face it the chances of you downing the animal is 50/50 but my question to you and i'm sure i'm not the only one to wonder this is that the chances you want 50/50 or 100 percent?.....Wait for the perfect shot you'll know what it is when it comes!....good luck!

ishootbambi
09-25-2010, 10:12 PM
bow hunting is considered a humane way to hunt unlike rifle hunting it's what we as bow hunters live by!

WOW!!!! no arrogance in that statement at all :rolleye2::rolleye2::rolleye2:

Cowtown guy
09-27-2010, 03:37 PM

I had to re-read it a couple of times but I think I see what you are saying.:rolleye2::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Donny Bear
09-27-2010, 06:26 PM

I guided a true bow hunter for Caribou and Grizz in 88 he made statments like that. Funny he got upset when I refused to take a picture of him with his bow and the Caribou he shot with my rifle. Huh never did ask permission to use the rifle :thinking-006:

:rolleye2::dork:

catnthehat
09-28-2010, 06:45 AM
bow hunting is considered a humane way to hunt unlike rifle hunting it's what we as bow hunters live by!
That Sir, is about as arrogant a statement as I have heard or seen in years.
I've hunted with long bow, rifle, and shotgun, for more than 40 years , and this statement is the EXACT reason why I rarely visit
"equipment specific " sites, such as traditional archery only sites, double gun only sites, traditional black powder sites, etc.
Get a grip, it is HOW the person hunts, not with what they hunt with , thatt make them what they are.
Cat

Booner Sniper
09-28-2010, 12:28 PM
bow hunting is considered a humane way to hunt unlike rifle hunting it's what we as bow hunters live by! and anyone that is a true bow hunter knows that the only way to kill a ANIMAL IS AT THE VITALS,so the advice we would give to a fellow bow hunter is wait for a true vital shot which means broad shot or quatering away, as far as an animal facing you well lets face it the chances of you downing the animal is 50/50 but my question to you and i'm sure i'm not the only one to wonder this is that the chances you want 50/50 or 100 percent?.....Wait for the perfect shot you'll know what it is when it comes!....good luck!

Wow is all I can say about that. A humane way to hunt is based upon the manner in which the hunter acts, and how he harvests his or her animals. There are many angles that will allow an arrow to penetrate the vitals. We all like to wait for a broadside or 1/4 away but sometimes under the right circumstances we can take a frontal shot which is a straight line into the vitals as well. I have taken this shot before and been successful but in my opinion it's a close proximity shot not greater than 15 yards and that depends on the state that the animal is in at the time. If you're tying this on an alert animal then it's a no shot circumstance, but a relaxed animal then yeah you can harvest the animal cleanly.
We as hunters period owe it to the animals to only take shots that we know we can make and harvest the animal cleanly. Nothing is certain when you have variables outside your control, and sometimes the unfortunate happens, even on the "perfect shot".

jim-bo
09-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Put Down the CRACK PIPE

Vitals do not only exist in a broadside or quartering away shot, their kind of there all the time. And they are exposed in a number of different angles, like i said in my above post, you need to familiarize yourself with the anatomy of your quarry, I would not hesitate from taking a frontal shot given the circumstances or a quartering too shot for that matter.

Any arrow into an animal is pretty well a 90% chance that the animal will die either from the initial damage or the proceeding infection not 50/50. There are circumstances where animals can survive their wounding and have little more than a scar to prove it, given the fact that even a gut shot deer will die.

Your talking to a guy that has taken big and small game in AB with his archery tackle and is still waiting for that perfect shot that you speak of...

Huntwriter
09-28-2010, 08:53 PM
As has been said. The best shot is the one you're comfortable with, in addition to that I would advice the one you've diligently practiced. Meaning, if you only shoot at 3-D targets that stand perfectly broadside you have no business to take frontal or steep quartering toward/away shots at a live deer.

Here's a illustration of shot placements that I use in my bowhunting courses and seminars.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/shotplacement.jpg

Huntwriter
09-28-2010, 09:02 PM

Sometimes hunters are their own worst enemy. Ever thought about the fact that animal rights and anti hunters love to frequent hunting forums to gather information that is useful to further their agenda? It's comments like yours that provides them the ammunition they look for.