PDA

View Full Version : --->Bull Elk Down-Bear Attacks Tent<---

Huntingonthebrain
09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
My Brother and I planned on hunting Tuesday to Saturday this week. If we got an animal down the plan was to bring it home and hunt for his moose draw with archery gear.
It all started with the drive up. We could see snow still in the mountains and the nasty fog that accompanied it. With the forecast calling for better weather our hopes were high.
We reached our camping spot and found that the melting snow was making it not only very muddy, but hard to find a dry place to put our tent. After setting up our camp and getting our gear together, we set out for an evening scout/hunt.
There wasn't a breath of wind and you could feel the moisture in the air. The melting snow made it very muddy for quadding, so slow and steady was the ticket. There was a fresh blanket of snow on the ground so it made tracking of recent game easy. However the only real tracks we were seeing were bear! Black and Grizzly bear tracks littered every quad trail we went down. With no sign of elk anywhere our hopes weren't as high as on the drive in.
With the recent fog in the air and the fact that the elk were't calling due to the weather it was going to make hunting very hard indeed.
Once arriving back to camp we made some soup to warm up and talked with our neighbor who was in a trailer next to us. He warned us of a bear in the area that was a bit of a pain that had been scared away before. With that we went to bed. At about 1am I was awakened to a sound near my feet. The moon was full and it was very bright in the tent as a result. I sat straight up and could see the tent wall cave in towards me. Immediately I thought bear and began to yell..."get out of here, get out of here" reaching for my gun I loaded a shell from the magazine and again yelled..."get out of here"...as the bear ran away. In the commotion my brother finally woke up and asked me why I was yelling. I said " A BEAR WAS TRYING TO COME IN!" We grabbed to 2million spot light and peaked out of our tent shining the light back and forth. Seeing nothing we walked around to check tracks in the snow, finding black bear tracks on my side of the tent! We also could see rips in the tent from the bear!
I couldn't sleep a wink after that, but did manage to stay warm in my sleeping bag until our alarm went off at 5am for hunting. I could't have been happier to get out of the tent and away from the camp.
We got high on the mountain and waited for the sun to come up. The fog lifted and the sun was shining! We could see as far as the eye could see. We glassed the area high and low and found a group of elk high on the mountain.
We quickly made our way over the base of the mountain the elk were on and made a game plan as they were over 2km straight up. Closing the distance we could here the bull bugling on his own which helped with direction and distance. Once in "HIS" comfort zone, we began cow calling. He responded but didn't come in to us. So after some time we let out a small bugle and this got him fired up! A short time later he came trotting down the mountain towards us and I got ready for the shot. At 120 yards I had a broad side shot and made it count. He only went 10 yards and fell over.
After some high '5's we went to see what we had gotten. A nice bull well deserved. We de-boned it out and after some sore backs made it down the mountain safely. We had shot the bull at 11am and down to the quad by 4:30pm.
I'm thinking that will be the last time I sleep in a tent in the mountains so I guess i'll be looking for something with 4 HARD walls for next year!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/smithmp5/2010%20Sept%20Bull%20Elk/IMG_4263.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/smithmp5/2010%20Sept%20Bull%20Elk/IMG_4262.jpg

TENT

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/smithmp5/2010%20Sept%20Bull%20Elk/IMG_4229.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/smithmp5/2010%20Sept%20Bull%20Elk/IMG_4241.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/smithmp5/2010%20Sept%20Bull%20Elk/IMG_4251.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/smithmp5/2010%20Sept%20Bull%20Elk/IMG_4256.jpg

whitetail Junkie
09-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Wow what a story,and a Trophy bull.

Dont know what it is about that bull,but he looks really good to me,he has unique antlers I guess,way to go!

Stop Staring at my Rack
09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Great bull! Glad the bear didn't do more damage, thank you for sharing!

elnino54
09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Nice Bull with a nice gun, what caliber is that Sako ?

Huntingonthebrain
09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Nice Bull with a nice gun, what caliber is that Sako ?

.300 win mag

Rather Be Hunting
09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Great job and quite the wake up call!:fighting0030:

Rockymtnx
09-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Congrats on the elk.
Thanks for sharing your story and pics with us.

hunt_and_fish
09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Congrats on the elk. Exciting trip by the sounds of it.

goober
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Great story and a fantastic animal!! Congrats!!!

killerbren
09-23-2010, 03:22 PM
good job nic, thats a great bull congrats!

ducky_hunter
09-23-2010, 03:43 PM
thanks that was great congrats

Booner Sniper
09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
great story and great bull congrats

westren
09-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Excellet Bull excellent Pics,Thanks for posting and congrats

Pathfinder76
09-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Great fronts on that bull.

Bassett
09-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Great story and bull! 7x6? Love the last pic.

Tuc
09-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Nice looking bull guys!

As for the bear.....thats why I take along my camp mascot. He'll let us know way before anything gets close to the tent.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Tucman/100_1731.jpg

I'm sure Grizz will take over where Timber left off. (still often think about my ole pal)

MountainTi
09-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Good job on the bull
As for bears around the tent, try electric fence next time. You can buy a fencer nowadays that takes 4 D batteries and doesn't weigh much more than 2 pounds and Will last up to 6 weeks off those batteries. Run 2 wires around your tent and use the screw in insulators into trees around your site. Make sure to keep them low to the ground, you're not trying to keep out cows. The whole setup will only weigh about 4 pounds, and will keep most bears out.

Sakoman
09-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Nice Bull, Good story. Good thing the bear thought twice after you yelled!!

Huntingonthebrain
09-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Good job on the bull
As for bears around the tent, try electric fence next time. You can buy a fencer nowadays that takes 4 D batteries and doesn't weigh much more than 2 pounds and Will last up to 6 weeks off those batteries. Run 2 wires around your tent and use the screw in insulators into trees around your site. Make sure to keep them low to the ground, you're not trying to keep out cows. The whole setup will only weigh about 4 pounds, and will keep most bears out.

Good to know...i'll look into it! Thanks for the reply's!

ksteed17
09-23-2010, 06:54 PM
nice job, great bull

Forest Techer
09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Beauty Elk! Congrats!

Sidenote those fences are a joke, my wet dog would go through them eveyday. A bear would have to lick it or have his nose on it for more then an instant. But in all honesty my camp was never wrecked so maybe it was the fence (it makes a beeping sound), could have also been my praying.... or elves.

BigRackLover
09-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Nice bull, congrats!

2km straight up? Do you mean 2km hike all uphill? Did you spot him in the the burn?

Huntingonthebrain
09-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Nice bull, congrats!

2km straight up? Do you mean 2km hike all uphill? Did you spot him in the the burn?

Ya just a guess. It was very steep anyways regardless how far. Yup in the burn at the top where they all are.

joeti7
09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Great Bull, thanks for sharing.

gravedigger
09-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Nice bull and great photo's! congrats

Redfrog
09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
What a nice bull.:sHa_shakeshout: Glad the bear incident didn't escalate.

redranger15
09-23-2010, 09:03 PM
You will be telling that story for many years. Nice bull.

The Bit Runner.
09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks for sharing,Congrads.

TreeGuy
09-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Great thread, great bull, great pics! Congrats, and I'm deffinately jealous! :D

Thanks for posting man, and real glad that the bear incident didn't turn out worse.

fatboyz
09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Nice bull looks like the Dog Rib fire.

MountainTi
09-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Sidenote those fences are a joke, my wet dog would go through them eveyday. A bear would have to lick it or have his nose on it for more then an instant. But in all honesty my camp was never wrecked so maybe it was the fence (it makes a beeping sound), could have also been my praying.... or elves.

When set up right, an electric fence will make a 2500 lb. bull pay attention, so obviously yours isn't working right. Check your ground rod, and keep it wet.

Payne 17
09-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Great job man sweet story and wicked pictures.Iam super proud of you and have enjoyed are hunts together so far this year.

Forest Techer
09-23-2010, 10:08 PM
I thought you meant those lightweight ones specifically for backpacking that weight about 4 lbs and take 2 d cells. Because I know how to set up an electric fence, I was just naive and thought it might actually work. A real electric fence with a real battery and energizer would do much better. I got zapped by an electric fence yesterday that put the fear of god into me.

Still have the fence I'd give it away but I would also feel pretty guilty about someone actually putting any faith behind it. pm me and I'd trade for a box of 30-30 shells.

ishootbambi
09-23-2010, 10:13 PM
cool bull....congrats.

dshaw
09-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Awome bull guys!!!!!! congrats!!!!!!! sounded like a very eventful hunt!!!! cant wait to hear the story in person!!!!!

SugarCreek
09-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Congrats on a great bull. Love the pics....nice contrast against the snow......Marco

Soreneck Racing
09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Great job Nic! I would be proud of the Elk and you can tell your late night tent story at campfires for years to come.

outbackpat
09-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Great story, congrats on the excellent bull!

Huntingonthebrain
09-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Great job Nic! I would be proud of the Elk and you can tell your late night tent story at campfires for years to come.

Thanks! You got that right...my uncle has a similar story that he has told many times. Hope your season is going to be great!
Turns out that my brother invited me on a moose hunt that I just got back from and there were NO moose. BUT there were lots of bears and he did end up with one. One less is good for me!

Andolftheredneck
09-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks for sharing the story!! Great pictures as well... Makes a guy think about what to do to stay safe, that's for sure!!

Rackmastr
09-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Great looking mountain elk!!! Congrats!

B-radshaw
09-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Great looking bull man! Sounds like a heck of a trip!

Albertabowhunter
09-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Congrats on the elk, very nice!

Glad you made it out safe. Alot of bear "to close for comfort stories this year".

shorthair ptr.
09-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Great fronts on that bull.

X2

Alberta Bigbore
09-29-2010, 09:58 PM
congrats, mighty fine bull !!!!!!!

Hellydoc
09-30-2010, 09:52 AM
loved the pics. always great when they come with a story also. Congrats

f350harley09
05-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Just bought a wall tent and was a bit concerned about camping in the bush with the bear population so thick. I would love to take my dogs, but was wondering what do you do with your dog when your out scouting and hunting? My dogs would defiantly not stay at camp with out being tied up. This is why I am considering a bear fence.

north american hunter
05-22-2013, 02:59 PM
good looking bull, crazy bear story!

Kaz Dog
05-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Just bought a wall tent and was a bit concerned about camping in the bush with the bear population so thick. I would love to take my dogs, but was wondering what do you do with your dog when your out scouting and hunting? My dogs would defiantly not stay at camp with out being tied up. This is why I am considering a bear fence.

I would definitely recommend an electrical bear fence, 4 D cell set up. I have used one for years now and never had a problem with a bear in camp/tent. You can make the area enclosed large enough to have your dogs in side of it if you tie them up. I have never done this, but is the only way I see of bear proofing your tent/camp and having the dogs along. Maybe someone else out there has more experience with dogs in camp, along on a hunt.

bdub
05-22-2013, 09:22 PM

If they have to stay in camp you can make a run between a couple trees. Make sure the area between is clear of bush etc. Tie good 6-8 mill cord strung tight between the trees at the height of the dogs lead so they can just lay down. The lead should have a loop or preferably a metal ring that can slide along the cord tied between the two trees. Tie in a couple sticks on the cord for stoppers so the dog can't get the lead wrapped around either tree. I've had good luck with this setup but you have to get your dog used to staying alone. If I'm scouting ill have mine with me packing water etc. when I'm camping alone at night I have always had mine loose. They have always stuck around no problem. If you are worried about bears make them sleep outside the wall tent. They will wake you up if a bear is around. I usually let mine in at night however, bit of a softy.

James_B
05-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Wow, what a crazy adventure. Kudos on the bull. What WMU was that bull harvested?