PDA

View Full Version : registry notwithstanding clause?

foothillsman
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Can Alberta use the "Notwithsanding Clause" in the written into the Constitution, and what would the effect be?

eastcoast
09-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Can Alberta use the "Notwithsanding Clause" in the written into the Constitution, and what would the effect be?

I think it possibly can,but it wont,the not withstanding clause has not been used very many times over the years,and is very hard to do,plus the law has been in for years hard to argue about it now.

Okotokian
09-24-2010, 04:52 PM
No it can't be used. The notwithstanding clause authorizes governments to temporarily override the rights and freedoms in Charter sections 2 and 7–15 for up to five years, subject to renewal. There is nothing in those sections about the gun registry. The not withstanding clause is used to take away rights, not grant them. Alberta last tried to use the clause to deny same-sex marriage rights.

Rusty P. Bucket
09-24-2010, 05:55 PM
The legalities are irrelevant. The vote proves it; the fact is that 70% of Canadians are against the registry, but it got rammed up our arses anyway. That, to me - says our system is broken and needs some serious repairs.

There are only two ways this thing will be killed.

1. Harper gets his majority gubbermint - AND keeps his promise to can this abortion. (A politician keeping promises would be a first in Canadian politics). Or

2. The gun community responds to this with complete, massive non-compliance and civil disobedience. Many leftie special interest groups have been using these tactics with great success and it is high time for us to talk openly about it and consider it.

I have been shooting for awhile and I have seen it all before. The loudmouths all beak off about letter writing campaigns and admonish us to be courteous, respectful and polite with these mouth breathing liberal morons. So the gun grabbers in the gubbermint and the media get our letters, and pretend to politely consider the thoughtful and well reasoned arguments - and then they turn around and rail us up the chute whenever the opportunity permits.

I woulda thunk being polite with gun grabbing blackguards and stupid people would have been a waste of time, and that it would be intuitively obvious to everyone. Sheesh - stupid people are stupid because they don't understand reasoned debate! But whatever.

My gubbermint can legislate whatever it wants. I am not recognizing 'gay marriage', I will enjoy the shooting sports whether some liberal snot picker likes it or not - and if the paper work doesn't match up, THEY can straighten it out or stick it where the sun don't shine. The cops in my neck of the woods know better than to try and enforce this ass hattery, thank God.

Mind you, they are better people than the guys that would give them their orders.