PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in the Bush

Hunter86
09-23-2010, 09:34 PM
I know this might be a lot to ask, but I have just moved to Whitecourt and would love to get into some deer or elk hunting in this area. I have been hunting forever, however it has always been in farmland country near Lloydminster, and never for elk. If anyone has any tips of how to just get started with this area, I would really appreciate it. (Definitely not looking for any “hot spots”, just an idea) I have picked up some maps (county, oilfield roads) and I have all my own gear, but there is a lot I don’t know about things in this type of bush and crown land. I would definitely be interested in teaming up if there is anybody willing to have a tag along/someone to carry gear/partner.
Thanks for any and all advice- Trevor

gojira
09-23-2010, 11:24 PM
you heading out into 349? i've been wondering what the whitetail pop is like up there myself as i'm looking to try that zone this year. I'm in a similar boat as you, i moved up a little further north from Calgary (originally from BC) and trying to find some new spots.

Big Racks
09-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Was up in 349 this last Saturday for the day and it was VERY quiet. Spotted a couple of mulie bucks skylined on a ridge at about 400 yds and they disappeared in a hurry (we don't have general mulie tags this year so no pursuit). Saw a couple of whitetail does on a cut block but they saw us just as we saw them and all we got to watch were the flags heading into the treeline on the run. Ranged out where they went in to the trees at 525 yds - talk about skittish. One whitetail buck ran across the road in front of us as we were on the quads relocating to a different area, we circled around and hiked in and sat on a couple cutlines and a cut block we knew were in behind the area he was heading into but no joy. Also saw a couple of black bears but too small to use my remaining tag from the Spring and heard a bull moose in the bush grunting and thrashing the bush like crazy while I sat on a cut block approaching dusk. Was tempted to call him out just for fun but didn't want to disturb things too much and hurt my chances of a buck walking out before last shot (turned out I had nothing to worry about).

All in all not much moving that we saw. I'm guessing that with opening day just the day before, they were spooked and skittish and had mostly gone to the deep stuff. Give it a couple of weeks to quiet down I think.

For areas to hunt, until you know the area better, I'd just take Hwy 32 towards Swan Hills and go past Carson/Pegasus turnoff a few kms, then either turn in to the north towards Virginia Hills or to the south towards Blue Ridge. Don't go too far in on those lease roads, pretty easy to get lost in there plus those roads can get pretty snotty to drive on if they are even slightly wet. Find yourself a decent looking cut line to hike on, lots of decent cut lines and cut blocks in the area. Can see some fairly heavy pressure at times but it will get you started in the area anyways. You're good in 349 for general mulie buck, general whitetail plus 2 supplemental whitetail does. No opening for mulie does, and antlered moose are on draw.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

bezzola
09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Was in the kbob area and seen lots of elk sign including the bull we took.

Hunter86
09-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, hope to get out maybe this week and see what I can find.
Good luck this season.