PDA

View Full Version : Gigantic Stone Ram

ksteed17
09-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Have you guys seen this one yet, supposedly its a subsistance kill in BC.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/ksteed17/SubsistanceRam1.jpg[/IMG]

ishootbambi
09-23-2010, 10:29 PM
geezus h cripe!!!!!!!!! a twin to the chadwick ram. looks like a marco polo ram.

ksteed17
09-23-2010, 10:32 PM
geezus h cripe!!!!!!!!! a twin to the chadwick ram. looks like a marco polo ram.

haha thats what my wife said after i picked my jaw off the desk "isnt that the weird ones from asia" haha

Stop Staring at my Rack
09-23-2010, 10:32 PM
I agree! Holy crap that is a big ram! Thanks for sharing!

steve
09-23-2010, 10:37 PM
That's longer then the Chadwick ram I'd have to say???

South west trappin RG
09-23-2010, 10:49 PM
wow i really dont know what to say. the 5 W's need to follow this post and if not holly S#!T. Good stuff:sHa_shakeshout:

ishootbambi
09-23-2010, 11:36 PM
That's longer then the Chadwick ram I'd have to say???

the chadwick stone has horns of 52 if i remember right. i have heard rumors of an alberta bighorn with 50 inch horns, but have not seen confirmation. the only other for sure 50 inch NA sheep horn was one side of a ram from colorado that died naturally in a park a couple years back. that looks like it could be a third for sure 50 incher. we need some info on this thing.

pottymouth
09-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Looks like some type of Argali to me !!

steve
09-23-2010, 11:46 PM
the chadwick stone has horns of 52 if i remember right. i have heard rumors of an alberta bighorn with 50 inch horns, but have not seen confirmation. the only other for sure 50 inch NA sheep horn was one side of a ram from colorado that died naturally in a park a couple years back. that looks like it could be a third for sure 50 incher. we need some info on this thing.

I had the pleasure of putting a tape on a 48" cadomin ram when I picked up my ram from the taxi last month, that was a unreal amount of bone.

TreeGuy
09-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Sustinance, eh? :rolleyes:

nicholal
09-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I cant see the picture but you may wanna check here. This is where I go to hit the info that is spread o the net

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/trophyWatch.asp?area=news

AL

echo
09-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Speechless!

deerhuntercentral
09-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Sustenance? Yeah those horns would make a great soup.

slopeshunter
09-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Sustenance? Yeah those horns would make a great soup.
X2. That's exactly what I was thinking.

westren
09-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Should be a law against that excuse...wow

beerhunter
09-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Other rumours have this ram out of south eastern Alaska??

Huntnut
09-24-2010, 11:04 AM
According to this http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8521043/m/4011006931 It was a dall shot in Alaska.

ishootbambi
09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
a little diggin says it has 48 inch horns, 15 at the bases and a green score of 182. thats unconfirmed though. apparently from a park not open to general hunting in the wrangell mountains.

Grizzly Adams
09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Should be a law against that excuse...wow

Check out the background. This guy does look like a subsistance hunter. :lol:

Grizz

AB2506
09-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I originally saw it posted on 24hr campfire, where an Alaskan stated that it was shot by a subsistance hunter in Alaska. It is a Dall.

hayseed
09-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Check out the background. This guy does look like a subsistance hunter. :lol:

Grizz

now thats funny... dang coffee on my screen...

sheephunter
09-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Just got this pic from a friend that guided this ram. The pics do it absolutely no justice. I got to see this ram in person on my last trip to the Yukon and it's a true stud. The bio said it was the heaviest sheep he'd ever seen in the Yukon. This ram took some serious study to get an age on because he is no where near legal by length and he wasn't all that easy to age either. Hard to believe at first glance but he is a book ram and only measures 37.5 inches. Definitely a dream ram.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/sheephunterab/BigYukonRam.jpg

echo
09-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Just got this pic from a friend that guided this ram. The pics do it absolutely no justice. I got to see this ram in person on my last trip to the Yukon and it's a true stud. The bio said it was the heaviest sheep he'd ever seen in the Yukon. This ram took some serious study to get an age on because he is no where near legal by length and he wasn't all that easy to age either. Hard to believe at first glance but he is a book ram and only measures 37.5 inches. Definitely a dream ram.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/sheephunterab/BigYukonRam.jpg

Awsome Sheep

ovis40
09-29-2010, 08:33 PM
I was talking to a buddy in FSJ today and asked him if he was hearing anything about a 50" Stone's ram taken in BC. He told me it sounds like it was taken by an outfitter and it could be Scoop Lake or maybe Drinkall. It was along the Williston drainage. Anyone else hear anything?

bobbypetrolia
09-29-2010, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=sheephunter;694762]Just got this pic from a friend that guided this ram. The pics do it absolutely no justice. I got to see this ram in person on my last trip to the Yukon and it's a true stud. The bio said it was the heaviest sheep he'd ever seen in the Yukon. This ram took some serious study to get an age on because he is no where near legal by length and he wasn't all that easy to age either. Hard to believe at first glance but he is a book ram and only measures 37.5 inches. Definitely a dream ram.

I dont understand this post. Am I missing something? Was it the same outfitter/hunter? How is it relevent to the story of the giant Dall/Stone?

sheephunter
09-30-2010, 12:09 AM
[
I dont understand this post. Am I missing something? Was it the same outfitter/hunter? How is it relevent to the story of the giant Dall/Stone?

Nope, just another big sheep killed in 2010.

canadagrown
09-30-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm more interested in knowing where this guy bought those beautiful cabinets.

Fisherpeak
09-30-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm more interested in knowing where this guy bought those beautiful cabinets.

No sh!t,guy sure has an eye for colour eh!Wonder what his wife looks like?

Hunting Alberta
09-30-2010, 10:28 AM
The funny thing is most of you guys are just jealous of this guy its no reason to bash him cause you figure he isnt as well off as most of you that call yourselves hunters sit in your office in the city build up your priorities walk in and kill a big animal with minimal effort and call yourselves the ultimate hunters that are better then the average joe redneck well guess what i can asure you this less fortunate individual has probably successfully hunted and killed more game animals then any of you guys and he wasnt chasin the antlers on his head or in this case the horns just my .02 cents

(ps real men dont hunt out of fithwheels and big motor homes either)

steve
09-30-2010, 10:35 AM
The funny thing is most of you guys are just jealous of this guy its no reason to bash him cause you figure he isnt as well off as most of you that call yourselves hunters sit in your office in the city build up your priorities walk in and kill a big animal with minimal effort and call yourselves the ultimate hunters that are better then the average joe redneck welguess what i can asure you this less fortunate individual has probably successfully hunted and killed more game animals then any of you guys and he wasnt chasin the antlers on his head or in this case the horns

just my .02 cents

Garan damn teed this gentleman passed up peices of meat on the way up the mountain to knock down that ram.

What exactly do real men hunt out of?

whitetail Junkie
09-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Does a Log cabin with power and satellite TV Count? thats where i'll be this November:sHa_shakeshout:

Alpine Archer
09-30-2010, 11:07 AM
The funny thing is most of you guys are just jealous of this guy its no reason to bash him cause you figure he isnt as well off as most of you that call yourselves hunters sit in your office in the city build up your priorities walk in and kill a big animal with minimal effort and call yourselves the ultimate hunters that are better then the average joe redneck well guess what i can asure you this less fortunate individual has probably successfully hunted and killed more game animals then any of you guys and he wasnt chasin the antlers on his head or in this case the horns just my .02 cents

:sHa_sarcasticlol: :snapoutofit:

sheephunter
09-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Think someone needs some decaff....:)

Rancher_49
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I had the pleasure of putting a tape on a 48" cadomin ram when I picked up my ram from the taxi last month, that was a unreal amount of bone.

Dear Steve,
Old Jim Simpson Sr. shot a bighorn back in the 1920's that racked second in horn lenght to the Chadwick Ram. He shot out of season and in the Banff Park. He hid it for a while, then sold it or traded it to an american. The last report I got was it is at the American Museum of Hatural histoty in New York City.
If my memeory if right it measured 0ver 50 on the long horn and 49 7/8th on the other. Specualtions as to the local where he killed it no one knows for sure. Either the Ram/Clearwater drainages or the head of the Brazeau River.
I thought you might be interested. I have been around for a long long itme and I met old Jim onced.

Gerry Retired Sheep Guide

209x50
10-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Very cool story! Thanks for posting it. It would be neat to actually find the horns as I'm sure there isn't anyone back east that would think much of that spectacular size. They'd just think it was an average ram!

Jamie
10-01-2010, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=

(ps real men dont hunt out of fithwheels and big motor homes either)[/QUOTE]

Ahhh do 25 foot bumper pull trailers count me in as a real hunter? It is a vintage 86 if that helps.

Jamie