PDA

View Full Version : ear damage in bird dogs

kokanee83
09-24-2010, 05:43 AM
I took my dog out to retrive for me last night for the first time. While he did great the after effects wernt so good. I noticed after the third duck he wasnt listening wouldnt even acknowledge me when i called him back. we got one more bird after that but it was a trial getting him back. I chalked it up to excitment and we went home. after we got home i noticed agian he wasnt listening wouldnt respond to anything "treats" "go for walk" i even tried jingling his leash nothing. Im taking him to the vet this afternoon to have his ears checked. How many of you have had there dogs go deaf from gunshots? is this common? what have you done to prevent this?

Doodle30
09-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Hey

While I have no experience with is I know it does happen.

My dog and I took a hunt training class earlier this year and the trainer in the class said that his 8 year old had some hearing issues. He said that being shoot over for 8 years was starting to take an effect. Dog still responded well but he said that he has seen the hearing change over time.

For this to happen the first time seems very odd to be.

Good luck to you and the dog.

WildCanuck
09-24-2010, 07:47 AM
I agree with Doodle. It will have the same effect as it does on a human. Long term gun blasts will damage your hearing if you don't wear hearing protection. I'm sure a dog can get ringing ears like we can as well, but that's short term.
I always set up my dog and her blind behind me at a 45 degree angle from my shoulder so that I can still see her but so she is slightly protected from the muzzle blast.
WildCanuck

DuckBrat
09-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Good thread,

My last Springer Spaniel was completely deaf by 12. This time around my brother suggested cotton in the ears for a little help, dogs can still hear you but deadens the blast.

sjemac
09-24-2010, 10:03 AM
My Lab, Poacher has had a few thousand birds shot over him in his 8 years. His hearing is not great and if he gets an ear infection from the sloughs, he gets completely deaf. Pretty much a fact of life that a close working gun dog is going to get his hearing affected over the long term. In the same vein, a dog that has worked for years in cold water will have their lives shortened compared to those that have been pampered house dogs. If you gave them the choice though, I think they'd trade the hearing and the years to be able to do what they love.

Jadham
09-24-2010, 01:09 PM
While I am not a veterinarian....

Gundogs will lose hearing over time.

Acute loss of hearing is more likely due to infection or eardrum perforation.

Anyways best of luck for you and the dog. If you don't mind, let us know what the vet says.

whitetail Junkie
09-24-2010, 01:51 PM
My brittany is 12 years old and he is completley Deaf.I dont think that its from guns shots,he is just an old dog now that lost his hearing.

He still has great eyes and a nose,which is good.

bruceba
09-24-2010, 02:14 PM
One so deaf by seven you could drop the metal food bowl onto the concrete beside his head when he was a sleep and he wouldn't flinch. Had to quit taking him because if he ranged to far and didn't look back for a little he'd cover the field in no time. It was always a joy watching him work even if you had to go get the truck and track him down. My sons solution is to hit what your shooting at and then the shooting is cut in half. :)

kokanee83
09-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Murphy seems to be back to normal. Whew he had me worried for a bit. Vet says no permanant damage but to protect his ears if i plan on continuing to use him for retriving. He is the black one 2 years old the other one is bear hes 2 1/2 shepard/akita mix 26778