PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Area Antelope Advice

bowzonebucks
09-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Heading down to WMU's 138 142 144 on Monday. I'm just wondering if anyone has advice. I've never hunted an antelope before. Thanks!

elkhunter11
09-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Go down a day or two early to scout,and look at plenty of bucks to get an idea of how to judge them.After a day or two of looking at live animals,you should get a decent idea of what a big one looks like.If you can't do that,look at picture on line.

shooter3456
09-24-2010, 07:29 PM
If you get a chance stop in to the EID office south of town and grab a map and rules for accessing their land. Their book and maps are pretty handy.

South west trappin RG
09-24-2010, 08:29 PM
If you get a chance stop in to the EID office south of town and grab a map and rules for accessing their land. Their book and maps are pretty handy.

Just woundering what the EID office is and where it is located

oldgutpile
09-24-2010, 08:41 PM
The very south end of the town. Could probably follow directions to the new rec center. If you come in from the south, look for the new arena and head aprox three blocks north on Young Road.

shooter3456
09-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Yeah Sorry for not explaining better, the EID or Eastern Irrigation District is the main private landowner in the area I had heard at one time they are one of the largest landowners in the province not sure if that's true or not anyways, they have a little book and maps for hunters that shows what land they own and different access roads and restrictions and what not.
The contact you want to talk with at the office is Rick Martin or anyone on the wildlife habitat projects.

Here's the link to their website:
http://www.eid.ab.ca/index.htm

Ormachek
09-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Tons of antelope on EID land. Ran into these guys 2 weeks ago in 142 on EID land, just south of the newell reservoir.

Always see multiple herds anytime I'm out that way.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww220/ormachek/ant.jpg

sorry for the low pic quality, was taken with an old point and shoot.

bowzonebucks
09-25-2010, 09:05 PM
This town stinks!!!

whitetail Junkie
09-25-2010, 09:13 PM
This town stinks!!!

Cause your down wind from a Massive slaughter house\Feed lot,enjoy:sHa_shakeshout:

bowzonebucks
09-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Cause your down wind from a Massive slaughter house\Feed lot,enjoy:sHa_shakeshout:

My god what do the people of this town do when it's 30 above and no wind. Wow!

-JR-
09-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Antelope can be a very enjoyable hunt if the weather is good.
Normaly you will have your tags filled by noon on opening day.
Nice thing about going early is you can drive around and judge the size of what is a thophy buck ,if thats what you are hunting for.
Site your guns in for long distance,200-400 yard.
Antelope normaly start to run if they see you walking to wards them.
If they see you coming in a truck (better be a 4x4 lots of sand to get stuck in ) have the driver drop you off ,and they will watch him drive away ,then you can make a stock on them if its hilly.Remember their eye site is 10x power.
If your buck is running (70klm hr) hold your riffle steady on a shooting stick,30 feet in front of him and as he runs into the cross hairs - Shoot. Do not swing your gun and follow him as he runs. Understand.
This is how i shot mine last year at 400 yards. one shot.
Bulits are very fast. he dropped then I heard the hit.
You have to skin him out within 2 hrs . Something in their hide that gets absorbed in thier meat that makes them uneatable. must have sent glands every where.Never over cook them either. Just blacken the outside and eat them rare to blue. normaly soak them in 20 %soya and water for 4 - 8 hrs .
make everything into steaks, and stew meat to fry or on a BQ stick.
Enjoy the hunt and post us some pictures.