PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Coming To Alberta!

Chukar Hunter
09-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Guys;

This time is for real!

I called Cabela's inquiring about return on a set of dies I had bought and
as always, asked them if they were ever planning to open a store in
Alberta.

Well, looks like this time it is for real! They have purchased a piece of
property just West of Edmonton on Windemere boulevard and the forecasted
opening date is Fall 2011. Being a Cabela's fan for a long time, I
certainly hope they will take care of us as they do in the US.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Elkaholic6
09-24-2010, 05:05 PM
You're like 2 months behind :sHa_sarcasticlol:

BC HUNTER
09-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Have you ever hunted wild chucker?

Chukar Hunter
09-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Yes I have. Many years in Idaho.

Chukar Hunter
09-24-2010, 07:04 PM
I guess I don't have as much time to read the new posts!

joeya
09-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Hey Chuker, I was by there this week and see they have the "Future Home Of Cabelas" sign on the Henday. I can't wait!

Lone_Wolf
09-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Yep you're a little behind on this but you get points for enthusiasm! :sHa_shakeshout: I can hardly wait for Cabela's either!

redranger15
09-24-2010, 10:04 PM
If it's anything like the one in Winnipeg I wouldn't get to excited.

Zekeland
09-25-2010, 05:50 AM
I agree.....Cabela's Canada here is a joke, no comparison to the REAL stores south of the border.

Selection is poor and prices stink. It is still worth it for me to drive 2-3 hours south instead of 2 hours east to WPG and make a weekend out of it and bring home my exemption worth.

I still buy more from CAbela's USA even though Cabela's Canada is only 2 hours east.

gilbertslake
09-25-2010, 09:52 AM
I kinda get the impression that they took over SIR as an up and running operation with few changes. However, IMO I think they will make the Edmonton store more like the US stores. Their main competitor in US is Bass Pros and Bass Pros have a US style store in Calgary, so I assume/hope that Cabelas will have a US style store in Edmonton. It doesn't make sense not to. With Bass pros in Calgary, if Cabelas want to get a decent piece of the market in Alberta, they need a decent sized store, otherwise, Bass Pros may move into the Edmonton market as well.

sheephunter
09-25-2010, 09:56 AM
I kinda get the impression that they took over SIR as an up and running operation with few changes. However, IMO I think they will make the Edmonton store more like the US stores. Their main competitor in US is Bass Pros and Bass Pros have a US style store in Calgary, so I assume/hope that Cabelas will have a US style store in Edmonton. It doesn't make sense not to. With Bass pros in Calgary, if Cabelas want to get a decent piece of the market in Alberta, they need a decent sized store, otherwise, Bass Pros may move into the Edmonton market as well.

According to Cabela's it won't be a big U.S. style store. It will be about 1/2 the size of BPS in Calgary. Likely not much bigger than WWS on Edmonton's southside.

Zekeland
09-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Bass Pro is setting up shop in WPG soon....maybe CAbela's will upgrade the store.

You will still see less inventory regardless if it is a new store or a retro fitted one like WPG has. A great selection of Cabela's brand but very shotty selection otherwise.

They do have a great opportunity in AB with the high number of hunters and outdoor people. Hope they do it right.

nube
09-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I am not excited about it at all. Tried to buy stuff from Winnepeg. Prices are Canadian prices:rolleye2: and they will be just as bad. I can still get stuff cheaper from the U.S even after all of the shipping and duty on most stuff. Too bad it is that way but a $ is a$ and I am still going to get it where it is cheaper. The way the internet is these days I don't find myself going to WWS anymore very often.

bardfromedson
09-26-2010, 12:05 PM
the edmonton store will be 70,000 sq ft. not sure how big the BP in calgary is. the cabelas in winnipeg was more of a trial than anything. its just the old SIR so don't compare it to the other stores south of the boarder. i think 70k sq ft is quite a bit bigger than the wholesale stores. the prices will never be as good as the states but at least it will give wss a run for there money. if its half as good as the idaho store im going to be happy.

Chukar Hunter
09-26-2010, 03:45 PM
That is the WHOLE point. I have noticed a difference in price and attitude at WSS since BPS opened a couple of years back. There is no way we are going to see US prices here in Canada, but hopefully it will tame our local boys somewhat.

On another nore, I still miss the small store feeling of Russel's before they closed for good. I used to pcik up the phone, call my buddies there and they would right away tell me if they had what I was looking for and put it on hold.

sheephunter
09-26-2010, 04:25 PM
the edmonton store will be 70,000 sq ft. not sure how big the BP in calgary is. the cabelas in winnipeg was more of a trial than anything. its just the old SIR so don't compare it to the other stores south of the boarder. i think 70k sq ft is quite a bit bigger than the wholesale stores. the prices will never be as good as the states but at least it will give wss a run for there money. if its half as good as the idaho store im going to be happy.

BPS Calgary is right around 140,000 square feet. I suspect WSS southside is around 50,000. 70,000 square feet is still a nice sized store if well stocked but nothing like the big U.S. stores.

Supermag
09-26-2010, 04:40 PM
A 70,000 sq ft store that actually has STOCK would be a welcome change for Edmonton.

BPS is a really cool looking store, and I could stare at the mounts all day, but how much of the square footage is taken up by the candy shop, boats and quads, shooting gallery and other things that many just dont need in an "outdoors" store.
I think their hunting section is smaller and at least as poorly stocked, if not more poorly stocked than WWS usually is.

Most of thier hunting clothes are cheap cotton crap, and the better stuff is not any kind of a deal at all.

I've been to BBS 6 times and only bought something half those times. I never would have thought that would be the case.

Hopefully Cabelas will be better and make everyone else raise the bar a bit.

gilbertslake
09-26-2010, 05:04 PM
At 70,000 sq ft, that is only 14,000 less that the Sidney Nebraska store whcich seems to me to be about the same size as Bass Pro's in Calgary see the pics
http://www.cabelas.com/sidney-nebraska-store.shtml

In checking out Cabela's on Wiki, they say Cabela's will build their biggest ever store with 2,200,000 square feet of retail space in Quebec at the Lac Mirabel Project which I assume is near the airport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabela's

sheephunter
09-26-2010, 05:07 PM
At 70,000 sq ft, that is only 14,000 less that the Sidney Nebraska store whcich seems to me to be about the same size as Bass Pro's in Calgary see the pics
http://www.cabelas.com/sidney-nebraska-store.shtml

In checking out Cabela's on Wiki, they say Cabela's will build their biggest ever store with 2,200,000 square feet of retail space in Quebec at the Lac Mirabel Project which I assume is near the airport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabela's

Sydney store is cool but not even close to BPS in Size. Cabelas does have some big stores but Sydney isn't one of them. The Utah store is around 150,000 I think. I'm pretty sure the Quebec store has been abandoned.

Mysliwy_#1
10-05-2010, 11:44 PM
What about a Gander Mountain?

Springer
10-06-2010, 05:07 AM
To second what Nube said about the prices.....a friend who is a loyal Cabella's shopper ordered a Cot and mattress from Winnipeg that cost him way more than items ordered across the border. So it sounds like the the US chain will still see lots of Canadian Shoppers.