PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting sans calling

botwood
09-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm new to elk hunting and wonder what are my chances for a successful hunt without using or knowing how to use calls.

outbackpat
09-24-2010, 06:07 PM
A great call to have is the hoochie mama. Use it as you travel into your hunting area, try to mask any sound's that you make like snapping branches. If there's any elk in the area and they hear the hoochie mama they'll think your just one of them. Good luck!

botwood
09-24-2010, 06:11 PM
A great call to have is the hoochie mama. Use it as you travel into your hunting area, try to mask any sound's that you make like snapping branches. If there's any elk in the area and they hear the hoochie mama they'll think your just one of them. Good luck!

Is it difficult to use, I have never used any calls in the past so...

Also I forgot to mention I'll be using a rifle on my hunt vs a bow

brookpowell
09-24-2010, 06:20 PM
No the hoochie mam is easy. its hand held and you just squeeze the base. it does the rest itself. super easy

botwood
09-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Does it immitate a bull or cow, or any behavior in particular ?

Grizzly Adams
09-24-2010, 06:38 PM
There's always spot and stalk or having a stand, where the elk are likely to feed. Calling can be pretty hit and miss, since everybody and his dog is out doing it and the rut will be over in a week or two.
Grizz

brookpowell
09-24-2010, 06:41 PM
its a cow elk call. The one I have has 3 or 4 different settings. Pretty sweet little call. And I think it retails for 50ish. Primos makes it I beleive.

botwood
09-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the advice, I bought a Hoochie Mama last night.

Grizzly Adams
09-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the advice, I bought a Hoochie Mama last night.

Haven't tried mine on elk yet, but I'm curious, how the Ya Ha Tinda wolves will appreciate it, when I do the lost cow thing. :lol:

Grizz

botwood
09-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Ya or Grizzly bears maybe ... might re think the whole lost cow call plan

Mountain Guy
09-25-2010, 08:41 AM
If you don't want tu use a call..... wait till late in the season and if the weather is or has been cold and miserable, hunt food sources as the bulls will be focused on food..

botwood
09-25-2010, 08:44 AM
What types of food sources should I look out for ?

Pathfinder76
09-25-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm new to elk hunting and wonder what are my chances for a successful hunt without using or knowing how to use calls.

This bull was killed while bugling his face off and chasing girls like a 16 yr old. There wasn't a mechanical call of any sort within miles of him. Likely the reason his headgear is posing for the photo. No you don't need to use calls and in fact I think some would enjoy greater success without them.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l433/chuck_nelson/IMG_1989.jpg

botwood
09-25-2010, 09:12 AM
This bull was killed while bugling his face off and chasing girls like a 16 yr old. There wasn't a mechanical call of any sort within miles of him. Likely the reason his headgear is posing for the photo. No you don't need to use calls and in fact I think some would enjoy greater success without them.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l433/chuck_nelson/IMG_1989.jpg

Nice one, is he gonna be taking a hike to the taxidernist

Pathfinder76
09-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Nice one, is he gonna be taking a hike to the taxidernist

I think for a European mount is all.

Mountain Guy
09-25-2010, 09:25 AM
What types of food sources should I look out for ?

Where would you be hunting? Bush, farmland, both?
Hay fields are obvious choices. But that usually means competition with other hunters (if you can get permission) and nocturnal elk if they've been hunted.
BAck in the bush look for powerline and pipeline r/w's as they are usually grassed and sometimes planted with clover and grasses that elk love.
They key is to make sure that the elk are there as they tend to move around and may not stay in any particular spot.
Heavy, thick grasses area's will be hot spots if we are fortunate enough to have a cold snowy november, as the elk will be forced out of the deep bush and will focus on easier food sources.

Dark Wing
09-25-2010, 09:26 AM
I heard one of my most aggressive bugling sessions on Oct. 14 a few years back. I was starting up the base of mnt. to hunt sheep during the second rut and stumbled past a bull with some cows. He must of thought I was another bull and let off a dozen or more bugles. I had an elk tag but choose not to shoot him he was easily over 300". I wish I would of had a camera it was a pretty cool sight . Calls are affective for locating elk but I prefer to be silent and not give away my position.

botwood
09-25-2010, 09:51 AM
thanks for all the advice, I feel much more confident now that I can make the right choice on "to call or not to call"

Mountain Guy
09-25-2010, 10:17 AM
If you do decide to try calling, it may be late now for the rut but the second rut should come in around mid oct. That's a good time to give er' a try as well.

crawfy
09-25-2010, 10:18 AM
We have found in the mountains when they get all treed up the old primos baffle bugle works great to locate them. Once you have located the bull, we have used both the bugle and the cow call succsesfully. Try both calls and see what you get your best response from. I have found that the primos call I maka da bull crazy 2 works the best(cow call).