PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Yukon Pics #1 (dall Sheep)

sheepguide
09-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Here are pics from my first hunt of the season. Was a good hunt saw lots of sheep and actually got on this ram on the first day of the hunt but the weather was crappy and we layed waiting at 400yrds for the ram to stand for a shot(will not alow a hunter to shoot at a bedded animal). 4 of the 16 rams had stood and streatched in typical sheep fasion but then 11 more stood and they all trotted off leaving one small ram sound asleep with out offering a shot. We were pinned down where we couldnt follow the big rams without spooking the small bedded ram. When he finally followed the others we stalked over the ridge but never saw the rams again. We hunted the same are the next day and looked in ever nook and cranny for them. It looked as if they had pulled out. On day 3 we went to the area we figured they may have pulled to but hunted all day and put on alot of miles on the old boot leather and only seeing some ewes. At the end of the day before dropping down off the hill just before dark to ride the 3 hrs back to camp we glassed a ridge near where we saw the big rams the first day and lone behold there were 2 of the rams we were looking for.
Day 4 of the hunt found us back in the area we had covered on day one and 2. We had just tied the horses in a willow draw and had began to climb to the area where we thought the rams would be. We hadnt gone more than a mile when the rams fed over to our side of the hill. We were with out cover to continue the stalk in the direction we were going and had open country that the rams could see to get anywhere. I elected to move directly away from the rams that were about 1400yrds from us. We stalked away and around the rams for about 4 miles and came at them from the same hight and the opposit side of the rams from where we started. It worked and we were rewarded with this fine 9yr old ram. My first guided Dall ram and this hunters first ever sheep.

Walking up on the fine looking sheep.

Happy Hunter

Wrangler with ram

couple more pics to follow...

sheepguide
09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Packing out

taking a break

bowhuntercam
09-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Congrats. Looking forward to seeing the rest. What outfit where you working for?

Toe823
09-24-2010, 07:36 PM
That is a beauty....good job and congrats...sheep of a lifetime in my books

sheepguide
09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Congrats. Looking forward to seeing the rest. What outfit where you working for?

Mervyns Yukon Outfitting

goober
09-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Great pics!!

South west trappin RG
09-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Wow awsome ram and country. congrats i could only wish that dream:sHa_shakeshout:

peakseeker
09-24-2010, 09:01 PM
congrats to the hunter and congrats to you sg on the first hunt of the year! heres to some more!:happy0180:can't wait ta see more pics an here more stories! good luck.

ww2269
09-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Mervyns Yukon Outfitting

Used to work for Rod Hardie who owned that teritory before Tim, Its beutiful country and lots of sheep. Great ram.

redranger15
09-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Awesome. Congrats and again awesome.

sheepguide
09-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Used to work for Rod Hardie who owned that teritory before Tim, Its beutiful country and lots of sheep. Great ram.

Rod is still guiding up there for Tim. Sounds like one tough customer. I think they said he was in his seventies!! He was out in camp so I didnt get to meet him but heard lots of stories about him. What camp did you hunt out of?
SG

sharpstick
09-24-2010, 09:44 PM
beautiful sheep Darcy. I admire your decision to not shoot at bedded animals.
What did each side measure.
My buddies were up at Lancasters a few weeks ago and they shot a 38" broomed heavy and the other guy's was 41" each side. They also shot a 9 1/2" and a 8 1/2" Billy and a 380" 'bou. I'm so jealous.

sheepguide
09-24-2010, 09:53 PM
beautiful sheep Darcy. I admire your decision to not shoot at bedded animals.
What did each side measure.
My buddies were up at Lancasters a few weeks ago and they shot a 38" broomed heavy and the other guy's was 41" each side. They also shot a 9 1/2" and a 8 1/2" Billy and a 380" 'bou. I'm so jealous.

Ill let guys stew on his measurments for a bit as they are tough ones to guess. And ill be posting some pics of the bou I got and he will for sure be over 400 and maybe over 410 with a 17" tall shovel.
Sg

slipbobber
09-24-2010, 10:19 PM
OK you have me curious now. Whats the deal with not shooting a bedded sheep?

ishootbambi
09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
thats a beauty ram. a dall is the one animal i want most in this world. 4 teenagers are making sure my goal wont happen for a while....but one day....

Rockymtnx
09-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Great looking sheep Darcy.
I betcha he was one happy fella.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Rocks
09-24-2010, 11:24 PM
That is one pretty dall, nice work!

Pathfinder76
09-25-2010, 07:16 AM
(will not alow a hunter to shoot at a bedded animal)]

Great ram!

Question about the above quote though. While I do see the wisdom in this, there are certain situations as a shooter, even at 400 yds, where I'd tell you to eat rocks.

Dark Wing
09-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Wow! I'd love to do a hunt like that some day. Very nice ram!!!

sheepguide
09-25-2010, 08:23 AM
The reason for not shooting animals that are bedded is that it offers a smaller target and can move leg, shoulder and other bones into different positions on the animal. Second if you shoot low on a standing ram you will shoot under it and hit behind it. Most times if this happens the rams will mill around and you will get a second shot. Now do that on a bedded ram and hit low and you will spray them with rocks and such and chances are he is gunna pull out. and shooting at bedded animals that are on hard surfaces can cause bullet deflection if shots are low which can hit animals where you dont want to and can also cause bullet fragments to deflect into said animal.
And as for your comment Chuck if you were my hunter and I made the call that we werent gunna shoot well guess what you wouldnt be shooting, end of story! One has to remember when on these guided hunts that im guiding if you wound an animal, that is your animal. You dont get to shoot another one, we will hunt and do anything possible to find the wounded animal but we will not hunt another trophy unless I decide that the wounded animal isnt wounded bad. So there is the reasoning behind the no shooting of bedded animals. A person would feel pretty crappy to go home without a ram because you wounded one because you didnt wait for that perfect shot and wounded one and werent able to find him. If you dont get that shot you still have the rest of the hunt to look for another animal or get on the same one for a better oppertunity.
Its my personal choice and I have never had a hunter complain or disagree.
SG

Pathfinder76
09-25-2010, 08:44 AM
The reason for not shooting animals that are bedded is that it offers a smaller target and can move leg, shoulder and other bones into different positions on the animal. Second if you shoot low on a standing ram you will shoot under it and hit behind it. Most times if this happens the rams will mill around and you will get a second shot. Now do that on a bedded ram and hit low and you will spray them with rocks and such and chances are he is gunna pull out. and shooting at bedded animals that are on hard surfaces can cause bullet deflection if shots are low which can hit animals where you dont want to and can also cause bullet fragments to deflect into said animal.
And as for your comment Chuck if you were my hunter and I made the call that we werent gunna shoot well guess what you wouldnt be shooting, end of story! One has to remember when on these guided hunts that im guiding if you wound an animal, that is your animal. You dont get to shoot another one, we will hunt and do anything possible to find the wounded animal but we will not hunt another trophy unless I decide that the wounded animal isnt wounded bad. So there is the reasoning behind the no shooting of bedded animals. A person would feel pretty crappy to go home without a ram because you wounded one because you didnt wait for that perfect shot and wounded one and werent able to find him. If you dont get that shot you still have the rest of the hunt to look for another animal or get on the same one for a better oppertunity.
Its my personal choice and I have never had a hunter complain or disagree.
SG

My money, my hunt, my choice. I don't know how you would actually stop someone from shooting a bedded animal who knew more about their ability than you, but it would be fun to watch.

I've shot enough game to know when and when not to pull the trigger. I've turned down shots at bedded game and I've shot bedded game. Often the target is every bit as big as when the animal is standing and often the variables are much less.

sheephunter
09-25-2010, 09:11 AM
thats a beauty ram. a dall is the one animal i want most in this world. 4 teenagers are making sure my goal wont happen for a while....but one day....

You on a guided hunt?

Sorry, thought I was in a different universe for a minute....lol

Definitely a noble dream! :)

angler1
09-25-2010, 09:30 AM
My money, my hunt, my choice. I don't know how you would actually stop someone from shooting a bedded animal who knew more about their ability than you, but it would be fun to watch.

I've shot enough game to know when and when not to pull the trigger. I've turned down shots at bedded game and I've shot bedded game. Often the target is every bit as big as when the animal is standing and often the variables are much less.

I agree it would be fun to watch. But then one must not ever question the all-knowing guide.:happy0034:

Booner Sniper
09-25-2010, 11:35 AM
That is a great looking ram for sure. As for not shooting at a bedded ram and all that, I'm not sure about your thoughts on that. If you shoot and miss on any ram that's on a hard surface your bullet is going to do the same thing whether it's bedded or standing. As for the smaller target area, the vitals are all still there, and if the bullet can't penetrate a shoulder bone or leg bone, then the shot shouldn't have been taken in any case.

ww2269
09-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Rod is still guiding up there for Tim. Sounds like one tough customer. I think they said he was in his seventies!! He was out in camp so I didnt get to meet him but heard lots of stories about him. What camp did you hunt out of?
SG

I was in the Sifton range, its a pretty rugged little spot.

packhuntr
09-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I have the same feeling about bedded game Darc. Most scenarios its not even a question, normally the stakes are way to high to take any chances. Pit in, get ready and wait'll he stands, might be 1/2 hour, might be 7 hours. Dead. End of hunting story nearly every time. Consistent and persistent,,, do it right everytime, and keep goin at em. One will rarely go wrong when he controls the controlables, and moves on to making sound decisions while in field.
Congrats on the ram

Pathfinder76
09-25-2010, 12:51 PM
One will rarely go wrong when he controls the controlables, and moves on to making sound decisions while in field.
Congrats on the ram

That is exactly the point. Make the decisions in the field not the armchair. It's obvious this decision has been made. For everyone in any situation.

Ruffgrouse
09-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Sheepguide:
I have a quick question for you.
Your hunter saves a life time to go on a hunt of a life time.
He starts the adventure sometimes years in advance, books time off work.
Tells all his friends hes heading out. Spends months getting in shape and then leaves his family behind.
Takes a charter into camp. Rides a horse for the first time. Gets rained / snowed on. Gets blisters and a sore back. Sleeps in a fly tent with two other smelly guys he has never met before then shoots a ram of a life time.
How many hours total is this ? This guy might NEVER EVER go back again EVER and his guide is too bloody lazy to cape the head out and puts a frigging ROPE across the face of his sheep ! Are you kidding me.
That ram has to spend the rest of the guys life on the wall and you put a nylon rope across its face.
Was the plane on its way in ?
Did you have 5 minutes to make it back to camp before someone died ?
Why on earth would you do that to someones trophy of a life time?:angry3:
That pack moving back and forth coming off the mountain would rub that sheep face the whole trip out.
If you pull the rope TIGHT so the head doesn't move that is even WORSE.
I have read your posts for some time and you are more than happy to tell every one how much of a PRO you are but what a rookie mistake !
You would have a sore jaw if that would be my sheep head ! :fighting0030:
You state that you are in control and tell the hunter when and where he can shoot.
I have guided sheep hunters for years and when I sit down and start caping the head out then I guess we are sitting on the side of the mountain until I'm ready to leave.
You take contol of the situation so why dont you go the extra mile to make that cape FLAWLESS. Like I said this might be his first and last sheep.
I have worked for and with Taxidermists for over twenty years and who gets blamed when the cape has issues ? The Taxidermist when 95% of the time its the stupid PROFESSIONAL guides fault.
Just say'n !:rolleye2:

827rotax
09-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Sheepguide:
Tells all his friends hes heading out. Spends months getting in shape and then leaves his family behind.
Takes a charter into camp. Rides a horse for the first time. Gets rained / snowed on. Gets blisters and a sore back. Sleeps in a fly tent with two other smelly guys he has never met before then shoots a ram of a life time.
How many hours total is this ? This guy might NEVER EVER go back again EVER and his guide is too bloody lazy to cape the head out and puts a frigging ROPE across the face of his sheep ! Are you kidding me.
That ram has to spend the rest of the guys life on the wall and you put a nylon rope across its face.
That pack moving back and forth coming off the mountain would rub that sheep face the whole trip out.
I have read your posts for some time and you are more than happy to tell every one how much of a PRO you are but what a rookie mistake !
You state that you are in control and tell the hunter when and where he can shoot.
I have guided sheep hunters for years and when I sit down and start caping the head out then I guess we are sitting on the side of the mountain until I'm ready to leave.
You take contol of the situation so why dont you go the extra mile to make that cape FLAWLESS. Like I said this might be his first and last sheep.
I have worked for and with Taxidermists for over twenty years and who gets blamed when the cape has issues ? The Taxidermist when 95% of the time its the stupid PROFESSIONAL guides fault.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WOW!!! welcome home Darcy.
great pics!! great story, and seems to me you had a very happy hunter. Enjoy your time home.
Nuff said, some people really have to much time on their hands.

Rackmastr
09-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Ding Ding Ding.....time to get the popcorn out!

packhuntr
09-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Ding Ding Ding.....time to get the popcorn out!

:lol:

Pathfinder76
09-25-2010, 03:02 PM
I've never heard a taxidermist complain about the care a guide/outfitter gives a cape. :scared0018:

BCbillies
09-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Let's hear the size of the bone? I'll guess 38" by 13 3/4" but I might be a little generous as the curl is not overly deep.

sheepguide
09-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Sheepguide:

Well where to start...
As far as the cape being left on the head... well as it was we didnt return to camp until well after midnight and I would way rather take the next day and do a perfect job on the cape. Ive packed out close to 30 rams, a dozen or so goats and probably 60 - 70 antlered animals(on pack horses with guess what... ropes holding them on) for hunters with the capes on. Never one complaint and never one mark on a cape. So yes I could have rushed through a cape job and came off the mountain in the dark or pack the head back do a good job on the cape and have the time to do it right. Guess what, my job my decision. I saw the tip he gave me so im thinking he was beyond happy with how everything turned out!!!
As far as a hunter saving a lifetime for a hunt... taking the time to cape the sheep out when I have all day to do it perfect is the way i do it. Guess the best thing is for me to do what things works fine for me , and I guess you do your thing. But hey thanks for your arm chair concern and keybord toughness. Cant wait to see all your pics to come in!
SG

Walleyes
09-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Don't get caught up in their B.S. S.G. you know it will never end.. They will fish for anything to rip a post apart..

echo
09-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Very nice sheep.

whitetailsheds
09-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Great ram! Thanks for posting it up Darc!

lucky_magic_stick
09-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Great ram cannot wait for the rest of the stories. Thanks for the post and great pics Darcy. Cheers Andy

longshot270
09-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Great pics. Now lets bee that 'bou.

Snap Shot
09-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Great pics as usual darcy....

Now lets see some moose and bou's..!

sheep nut
09-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Very nice ram, well done.

ishootbambi
09-25-2010, 10:35 PM
You on a guided hunt?

Sorry, thought I was in a different universe for a minute....lol

Definitely a noble dream! :)

so....are you suggesting im too cheap to fork out the dough.....or so good on my own i dont want or need help?

to be clear, some hunts for some animals have a requirement by law to use a guide. i have no issues with that. i wish i wasnt the case sometimes, but the law is what it is. i have never looked down my nose at those who use the services of a guide either. i have no love for those who shoot tame animals and because of it i will never support sci as they are wholly in favor of that.

also to clarify....i am already looking at work opportunities in the yukon. once my kids are all on their own, i am seriously considering moving there...so i reckon you are right, i wont be using a guide after all. :)

sheephunter
09-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Relax Dale...it was a bit of good natured ribbing....nothing more...yikes!

Sakoman
09-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Great Ram.

evansbw
09-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Ruffgrouse,

Maybe you can start your OWN thread on how you were or are the best guide around, and post pictures of your perfectly caped out sheep before the leave the mountain. :thinking-006:We will all be waiting for the pictures, and in the mean time, nice job on trying to derail a perfectly good thread.

Hooter
09-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Mervyns Yukon Outfitting

Hi Sheepguide,

My dad went on a bear hunt with Mervyn's this past spring, and we are seriously considering going on a dall sheep hunt next fall with them as well. Will you be guiding for dall sheep with Mervyn's next year?

By the way, are there any other outfitters you would recommend for dall sheep hunts? As many have already said, this will be a once in a lifetime hunt and we want to make sure we do everything we can to get the most memorable experience possible.

Thanks.

-Trevor

sheepguide
09-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Sheepguide,

My dad went on a bear hunt with Mervyn's this past spring, and we are seriously considering going on a dall sheep hunt next fall with them as well. Will you be guiding for dall sheep with Mervyn's next year?

By the way, are there any other outfitters you would recommend for dall sheep hunts? As many have already said, this will be a once in a lifetime hunt and we want to make sure we do everything we can to get the most memorable experience possible.

Thanks.

-Trevor

PM Sent

sheepguide
09-26-2010, 10:14 AM
That is a great looking ram for sure. As for not shooting at a bedded ram and all that, I'm not sure about your thoughts on that. If you shoot and miss on any ram that's on a hard surface your bullet is going to do the same thing whether it's bedded or standing. As for the smaller target area, the vitals are all still there, and if the bullet can't penetrate a shoulder bone or leg bone, then the shot shouldn't have been taken in any case.

Missed this one. The part on shooting and missing a ram. If you shoot at a bedded ram you only need to shoot 1" low to hit in front of it and shower that animal with rocks or dirt. That same animal shot at standing will have the bullet hit well behind it(possibly spooking it but with a high chance of it moving away from where the bullet hit which is towards the shooter). Now an animal standing and missed will have to hit a couple feet low in order to hit the rocks and dirt low enough to actualy hit in front of that animal. Sheep dont very often take right off at a rifle shot but if hit with rocks and dirt they will.

SG

ishootbambi
09-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Relax Dale...it was a bit of good natured ribbing....nothing more...yikes!

and any dang guide who tells me i need to wear camo best be a forum member here and ribbing also.:happy0034:

sheephunter
09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
and any dang guide who tells me i need to wear camo best be a forum member here and ribbing also.:happy0034:

LOL.

Just to remind you what I was giving you a hard time agout ;) I think I remember you saying:

for that matter i dont wish to have a guide for anything in north america either.

All good natured fun Dale....laughing at ourselves is what seperates us from chimps and dolphins! :D

houndsmen
09-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Great work and great Pics SG!!! Dont let the negative comments get to you....your out there gettin it done and sometimes that bothers the people that arent!!! Again nice work!

gravedigger
09-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Congrats to you SG and your hunter! That's an awesome ram!!

cleighton
09-29-2010, 08:15 PM
anybody going to guess the measurments of this nice ram? nicest ram i was apart of this season. was a fun hunt.

HIBACKPACKER
02-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Ruffgrouse you are correct. The money and time spent is enough to say what the h$LL was this guy thinking. Nice ram and you cant take that away from him. But to take short cuts with a clints first and last ram Hmmmmm!!!!!!! You have to think to yourself maybe that hunter did not know any better. Worse yet maybe the guide didn't know any better or even how to cape the animal out. The rope across the bridge of the hunters Ram big no no.

sheepguide
02-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Ruffgrouse you are correct. The money and time spent is enough to say what the h$LL was this guy thinking. Nice ram and you cant take that away from him. But to take short cuts with a clints first and last ram Hmmmmm!!!!!!! You have to think to yourself maybe that hunter did not know any better. Worse yet maybe the guide didn't know any better or even how to cape the animal out. The rope across the bridge of the hunters Ram big no no.

LOL ya I had no clue how to cape a ram out! LOL

You do things your way ill do them mine.

SG

TangoKilo
02-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Sheep Guide,

Thanks as usual for posting some great photos.

Dont sweat the armchair quarterbacks. Most contribute very little to this forum!!

HIBACKPACKER
02-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I just thought I would through in my two bits. You should not be so touchy on what people want to comment. Just pointing things out as other members have.

sheepguide
02-06-2011, 03:34 PM
I just thought I would through in my two bits. You should not be so touchy on what people want to comment. Just pointing things out as other members have. For your information I do not sell junk on this site and will be advising the Moderators.

Advise away! LOL Was just stating how much you have contributed to the actual chat forums on here. Looks like your own personal catalog when you look at all your posts and threads. LOL

SG

jimbo1
02-06-2011, 03:58 PM
thats a great lookin animal congratulations! good job! :)

HIBACKPACKER
02-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I've had my share of the outdoor. Been there done that and most before you were ever a thought in someones mind. You can't post that your the big hunter out there and use short cuts as Ruffgrouse pointed out and expect members that know better not add their comments. I gave you a very nice comment on the Ram and yes I said using a rope cross the Ram's bridge was a big no no, so what. Our Members that have purchased items from me know and have left their ratings for everyone to see. So your statment is unjustified. Have fun!!!!!!!!

sheepguide
02-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I've had my share of the outdoor. Been there done that and most before you were ever a thought in someones mind. You can't post that your the big hunter out there and use short cuts as Ruffgrouse pointed out and expect members that know better not add their comments. I gave you a very nice comment on the Ram and yes I said using a rope cross the Ram's bridge was a big no no, so what. Our Members that have purchased items from me know and have left their ratings for everyone to see. So your statment is unjustified. Have fun!!!!!!!!

LOL its a no no in your eyes. May wanna look at alot of pics of capes tied on packs. Many many pics have ropes holding capes on, some on the face some on the rest of the cape(look on page 55 of the Jan. AO mag). As long as tied properly it will cause no issue. There is a reason that there is alot of raps over the nose, and that the hair was all layed below so as not to bend and break and also being sure when tieing that you dont allow the rope to slide on the cape. A insucure load is what causes wear, whether is be rope on a face, rope on a cape, rope on a horn or antler and one of the worse causes of rubs on capes... loose iteams in ones packing rubbing on a cape that isnt secured.

Another note is that the rope is not the load bearing rope its just securing the sheep from rocking and causing issues.

Maybe I should get the taxidermists number and he can let you know of all the damage.

I could really care less how old you are a that prooves nothing. I post because people enjoy the pics and even request them. So if you think its trying to make me look like a big hunter then what ever. Im successful and am proud of my acomplishments and is why I am here and why I post pics. Just like you did of the Moose, zone 160 mule deer and small whitetail from 2009.

Just for curiosity sakes could you show us a few pics of how you have caped sheep out on the mountain and how you have secured your loads when you did so.

And wasnt saying what you sell is junk(may have chose the wrong word) but that all you do for AO is add the the clasifieds.
SG

tuffymitch1
02-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Beautiful Dall Sheep,congrats to the hunter on a trophy of a lifetime,and to everyone involved on the hunt,awesome pics!:sHa_shakeshout:

reelhooker
02-06-2011, 04:37 PM
It is Quite obvious to me their is only one solution here. SG, take me out on a hunt, and I will let you pack stuff however you want.
Great pictures, you my friend have a dream job.
RH

25-06rem.model700
02-06-2011, 04:48 PM
How long is that darcy? I'm guessing 38 1/4 on the long side. Nice ram by the way, can't wait to see pictures of this caribou

HIBACKPACKER
02-06-2011, 05:01 PM
There is more then one way to take a Ram out of the hills. LOL no harm done from this end and I do enjoy your pictures.

Segundo
02-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Nice pictures. And there is nothing wrong with how its packed out.

And for all of you guys dreaming of going for sheep, listen to sheepGuide and listen to whoever your guide is, things go alot better when the hunter is guided. If you have other ideas, then tell the outfitter up front.

I have seen a few big mouths panic or screw up at the wrong moment.

Alberta Bigbore
02-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Some nice photos!.

ishootbambi
02-07-2011, 07:51 AM
another thread bogged down with jealousy. ive come to the conclusion that as a group hunters have got to be among the most petty group there is. dont let em drag you down to that level darcy.......i know you are above that crap. them type remind me of mosquitos......they buzz around you and are in your face, but in reality they are a minor annoyance in the grand scheme. the best you can do is use the "deet" of a thick skin.....even though a swat would permanently cure it.

dale

TangoKilo
02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
another thread bogged down with jealousy. ive come to the conclusion that as a group hunters have got to be among the most petty group there is. dont let em drag you down to that level darcy.......i know you are above that crap. them type remind me of mosquitos......they buzz around you and are in your face, but in reality they are a minor annoyance in the grand scheme. the best you can do is use the "deet" of a thick skin.....even though a swat would permanently cure it.

dale

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!:sHa_shakeshout:

X2

sheepguide
02-07-2011, 09:50 AM

dale

LOL nicely said man!!!!

wwbirds
02-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Nice ram, great country.
I also took a ram bedded down against the guides advice.
His reasoning which he hurredly explained to me is that too many clients missed bedded sheep. I told him if I missed a ram at 150 yeards I didn't deserve him. Aimed low in front and drilled him in chest without wasting any meat. Stood up and wobbled before tipping over in his bed. Every ram in the band (11 or so) came over nose to nose to say goodbye to the leader.
I wouldn't take a 4-500 yard shot at a bedded ram but with bipod 150 was a pretty easy shot.

diamonddave
02-07-2011, 10:00 AM

dale

:argue2: You should see some of the shenanagins over in the fishing department:fighting0074:
:sign0068:

sheepguide
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Nice ram, great country.
I also took a ram bedded down against the guides advice.
His reasoning which he hurredly explained to me is that too many clients missed bedded sheep. I told him if I missed a ram at 150 yeards I didn't deserve him. Aimed low in front and drilled him in chest without wasting any meat. Stood up and wobbled before tipping over in his bed. Every ram in the band (11 or so) came over nose to nose to say goodbye to the leader.
I wouldn't take a 4-500 yard shot at a bedded ram but with bipod 150 was a pretty easy shot.

I know many guys dont understand the bedded thing but there are a few reasons for not shooting a bedded ram and is why many guides dont like doing it.

1. A ram doesnt lay with him cest cavity straight up as when they stand. They tend to lean back which then causes a smaller target and kill zone. It also can shift where the leg and shoulder bones are situated.

2. If you miss low on a bedded ram you cover him with rocks or dirt many times causing him to move away from you. Or right out of the counrty! If he is standing and you under shoot him a couple inches the shot will go past him hit on the opposite side of him many times making him move parallel to you or sometimes closer.

I saw a real bad deal once when a guy under shot a ram and the bullet or rock fragments wounded the sheep. The ram was eventually found later and they got him but alot of suffering over not waiting.

And you have to remember many guides have seen alot, ive seen more animals missed at 100-150 than at 300. The biggest ram I ever got a client on was missed at 150yards, broad side off a pack.

When a guide says he doesnt want you to shoot at a bedded ram it isnt because he thinks you cant make the shot or wants to screw you out of a ram, but has probably seen the negative results of it or has had guys tell him stories of things that have happened.

Oh and congrats on the ram! Have you posted pics?
SG

wwbirds
02-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Just love the country and the hunt. I found it funny the guide didn't want me to shoot as I had passed on over 20 good rams in 5-6 days that the guide thought were good enough to shoot (I was fussy because I had a full curl at home already). Now when I wanted this one (curl and 1/4) he wanted me to wait until he stands up. Guess the rapore with the guide was good enough we worked it out for the best.
I recommend everyone listen to the guide but also you can make an informed decision afterwards and he will generally support that decision if you are both OK with the risks. Working together.
Rob

Johnny
02-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Great work and great Pics SG!!! Dont let the negative comments get to you....your out there gettin it done and sometimes that bothers the people that arent!!! Again nice work!

x2...Thanks for sharing SG and honestly why do people have to ruin the moment....nuff said. Keep up the good work and stay positive.