PDA

View Full Version : Which trail Cam?

Gman
09-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi

I'm in the market for a new trail cam. The one I have is very old, eats batteries and takes lots of pictures of nothing since the trigger time is slower than the second coming of christ.

Which ones do you have and are you happy with them? They all seem to have come a long way since I last purchased them. I'd like one with options for Video and IR to avoid it being detected.

Thanks for all replies.

Will spend up to $350

Gman

slipbobber
09-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Google game camera reviews and see which ones are rated high. I know the 2010 Bushnell Trophy cameras are one of the top ones. Some of the top ones I've never heard of before and are pricey but thats why they are on the top of the rateings list.

Elkaholic6
09-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Can't go wrong with the Moultrie D-50. I have the D-40, the older version, they're now 5 megapix instead of 4 megapix, hence the 50 and 40. It's around the 90 dollar mark. Great flash, good quality pics, cheap, and had 0 problems with it for 2 years now.

sourdough doug
09-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Just more info for you, Gman and this question is asked of Elky -- what is the battery consumption of your Moultries.... I couldn't fill them fast enough to keep the Moultrie I had operating -- until it was stolen recently --- now that is their problem --:lol::lol::lol:

Elkaholic6
09-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Just more info for you, Gman and this question is asked of Elky -- what is the battery consumption of your Moultries.... I couldn't fill them fast enough to keep the Moultrie I had operating -- until it was stolen recently --- now that is their problem --:lol::lol::lol:

I get a month out of mine with good weather. Cold weather will drain your batteries alot quicker. This spring on my bear bait I got around 1500 pics of battery life. My Wildview EZ Cams eat them alot quicker, but they used 4 C batteries.

Dark Wing
09-25-2010, 12:34 PM

Another problem with moultries are that they are holy huge an easy target for theives.

I've got a couple of scout guards that I like and wouldn't mind trying a bushnell tophy cam or one of the Cuddebacks.

If I had the money I'd buy a Reconyx or T bark cam.

antler addict
09-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I own two wildviews I set one up last year in the northern woods it was there 5 weeks before the batterys went dead and took over 340 pics.but there nothing fancy. no i.f. and such one I paid $120 for the other $69.00

snuffy
09-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Get yourself a Stealth Cam with an external battery. I ran one all of November last year taking thousands of pics and video with out ever killing the battery. I have the 5mpixel one with infared at night for pics and video. Their new HD video model looks good too.....around $300. Anything that only takes AAA's or AA's will not last long in the cold despite what they tell you.

stinkynuts
09-25-2010, 01:13 PM
i own the Bushnell Trophy Cam it works great has a very fast trigger speed and can be ajusted 3 5 and 8 mp i just bought it this year and had it in the bush 2mo now and still have not changed the batts they claim it will run 1 year

Wolverine Boy
09-25-2010, 02:28 PM
On the subject of theft............

I have used a few different models & brands but I can tell you that I no longer will put any camera up without a security box.

These have saved me from antlers & bears and quite likely from the kind of pukes who will steal a camera. These boxes are not going to make it theft-proof but it will mean they will have to work for it. I also get all my cameras engraved on the side with my name in bold letters.

If you're spending $90.00 on a camera you may not want to spend half that amount on a box but if you're spending hundreds I would consider it a wise investment.

Most of you are likely familiar with this product but in case you're not here is a link to where I get mine. These folks have also been very good to deal with on the phone.

http://www.camlockbox.com/

rustynailz
09-25-2010, 05:02 PM
I've had my Moutrie i40 out, turned on, since August 21. I checked last night and the batteries are at 71%. Only drawback is that it takes 8 D batts.

Very happy with it, other than it seems to spook deer occasionally if they get too close to it.

wctbowtech
09-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Go with either the Bushnell Trophy cam or a HCO scoutguard 550 or 560. 3 to 4 months (6000+ pictures) on 8 AA batteries.

whitetalehunter12
09-25-2010, 07:29 PM
i just use the wildview ez cam. on 4 c batteries it can last about 2 weeks. The pics are nothing special but you still can seee every clearly.

whitetalehunter12
09-25-2010, 07:29 PM
oh an di forgot you can hook up a 12 volt battery o it ehich will last about two months

snuffy
09-26-2010, 02:48 PM
i own the Bushnell Trophy Cam it works great has a very fast trigger speed and can be ajusted 3 5 and 8 mp i just bought it this year and had it in the bush 2mo now and still have not changed the batts they claim it will run 1 year
Wont last when it gets cold out.......-22 will lock up the small bats.

deercamp
09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Wont last when it gets cold out.......-22 will lock up the small bats.

i disagree with your claim, i had two bushnell trophy cams out last winter from mid september till christmas, i then changed the batteries just to be sure the cameras wouldnt die as i was leaving for the winter and leaving the cameras up. So the cameras took videos everyday from christmas till mid march when i came home with no problems what so ever...

redranger15
09-26-2010, 08:29 PM
So far my primos is working fine. 450 pics and still 70% battery life left. Day pics are very clear and night are fine too. Only a few pics with nothing on them. I paid 130 US at cabelas in Grand Forks. I asked the guy which one he would recommend and he said he has the primos, last one on the self so I grabbed it, glad I did. Also like the loop hole for a steel cable on it.

Gman
09-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Another problem with moultries are that they are holy huge an easy target for theives.

I've got a couple of scout guards that I like and wouldn't mind trying a bushnell tophy cam or one of the Cuddebacks.

If I had the money I'd buy a Reconyx or T bark cam.

WOW! The roconyx and Tree Bark are fairly pricey. Often when it comes to good gear you get what you pay for. Their gallery pics are excellent!