PDA

View Full Version : Poaching; Shot and left ram

1-4duckhunt
09-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I dont typically post much on here, but enjoy reading the comments/stories. I would, however like to share a story of disgust, and ask for help from any members/public that may have any information, as this is something we all stand against.

Long story short - Just returned from a 5 day sheep/elk hunt in WMUs 422/426. In the mid afternoon of Monday, Sept 20th, my hunting partner and I heard shots originating not far from our location. After about an hour of hiking, we discovered a dead ram, still bubbling from being shot from behind, up and in the guts. It was definitely short on one side, and likely short on the other (close). Quad tracks were also seen approx 500 yds from where the ram lay, in a FLUZ/area where quads are not permitted. Over the next couple of days, no one returned for that sheep, and it was left to waste. All information was turned over to fish and wildlife, and the incident is under investigation.

All I ask is that anyone with any information relating to this incident, or any information relating to anyone that may have been hunting/quadding/camping in that area around that time, to please contact fish and wildlife. The area in question was NW of the upper hummingbird trail, west of onion lake trail area, on the 422/426 boundary. Callers can remain anonymous, and can be eligible for cash reward. Also, feel free to PM me. It is my personal opinion that this is the pinnacle of cowerdly poaching and wildlife offences. It creates an unfortunate loss for outdoorsman and wildlife populations alike. My apologies for posting on a negative subject, but files like these need assistance from the public - RAP 1-800-642-3800, or call Nordegg district office 403-721-3965.

livinthedream
09-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I hope they find the b _ stards!

Elkaholic6
09-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Makes ya wonder how much times this actually does happen..

woods_walker
09-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Happens more than one would like to think I believe. I have phoned in two poached black bears in the last week in the same area. One was this years cub!

Wolverine Boy
09-25-2010, 12:14 PM
There are more of these pukes then we would like to believe.

Thanks for the post duckhunt and please keep us updated. Somebody out there knows who this criminal is.

timsesink
09-25-2010, 12:55 PM
sickening, you wouldn't want to know what I would do if I saw this.

blacknorthernjk
09-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Sad. I don't think I want to know what possesses some to do this crap.:mad0100:

elkhunter11
09-25-2010, 10:18 PM
It's usually a case of some idiot seeing a ram that looks like it might be legal,shooting it,then realizing that it's not legal after all.

ishootbambi
09-25-2010, 10:21 PM
It's usually a case of some idiot seeing a ram that looks like it might be legal,shooting it,then realizing that it's not legal after all.

X2....somebody got overzealous. i cant imagine anyone shooting a sheep for poops and giggles. its well known what will happen if they are caught. and hopefully they will be.

Stop Staring at my Rack
09-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Very sad! Glad you reported it! Hope they find the persons responsible.

hayseed
09-26-2010, 08:15 AM
If that dont make ya sick...nothing will.. elkhunter11, ya hit the nail, right on the head!!

-JR-
09-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Did these poachers take the head or just shot and left this ram where it layed.Just wonding if they might of shot a under sized ram and left it for the yolts to eat. Waste of a good ram ,hopfully they catch these hunters and remove their rights to hunt and remove their rights to use a Atv for life also.
I have great respect for sheep hunter as they are the elite group of hunters.
But to do this is wrong.

bessiedog
09-26-2010, 08:35 AM
We've got it down here in 400-402 as well.

Been hunting down here for more than 10 years and I've seen what I believe to be 1 poached - left animal every 2nd year or so.

I've seen very very immature rams shot, mulies shot ant left. One moose.
Last year apparently 20-30 rams were shot down here, sounds like a good year, then I was talking to a local fish cop and he said something like 'you don;t wanna know how many 'squeakers' were left out there. I think squeakers means 'almost rams', then shot, then discovered to be not big enough, so left:mad0030:.

I really really thought about getting a sheep tag this year. Lat year I thought I has a legal one close to me, and just yesterday I was within 300 yards of what I thought was a legal full curl one... problem is... I really don;t think I know enough to tell unless its super obvious. Si I decided this year, I'm still not a sheep hunter.

I've often thought there should be training seminars for newbie sheepers, put them on a BPS or at sprtsmen shows etc. Problem is, sheep hunting's a pretty exclusive club and I really don;t think they wanna share. You either get to know a veteran sheep hunter and earn your stripes and get invited on a hunt.... yada yada..

I know some great sheep hunters... and I don;t even bother to ask to joining them. I know better.

Good on you to report the stuff.

ishootbambi
09-26-2010, 09:58 AM
dont sound so discouraged bessie. it wasnt long ago that i was in your shoes. i spent lots of time in the mountains hunting other things and saw lots of sheep over the years. i listened to guys talk who had killed rams, and between what they were willing to share and what i had seen myself, i was pretty sure i could do it. it was the recent talk (last few years) of big changes to sheep hunting in alberta that made me decide to get at it. the thought of possibly having to wait till im much older (possible wait time for draws) made me decide that if i want a ram on the wall id better get one while i still can. so i put my brain to use and studied some topo maps and picked what looked like an area that should hold rams. long story short it took 6 days of hunting and i have one. i dont think successful sheep hunters are an elite group. they are just a segment of hunters who are willing to walk a little farther, work a little harder, and most importantly use their brain to up their odds. i really believe that anyone can do it if they really want to. i am confident that i could get another like the one i have, but i probably wont shoot another ram. ill be holding out for a mature trophy, and there are so few of those available in alberta that the odds are seriously stacked against me. now you'll find me hanging out at the edges of sanctuaries praying for a miracle.

gilbertslake
09-26-2010, 10:28 AM
I dont typically post much on here, but enjoy reading the comments/stories. I would, however like to share a story of disgust, and ask for help from any members/public that may have any information, as this is something we all stand against.

Long story short - Just returned from a 5 day sheep/elk hunt in WMUs 422/426. In the mid afternoon of Monday, Sept 20th, my hunting partner and I heard shots originating not far from our location. After about an hour of hiking, we discovered a dead ram, still bubbling from being shot from behind, up and in the guts. It was definitely short on one side, and likely short on the other (close). Quad tracks were also seen approx 500 yds from where the ram lay, in a FLUZ/area where quads are not permitted. Over the next couple of days, no one returned for that sheep, and it was left to waste. All information was turned over to fish and wildlife, and the incident is under investigation.

All I ask is that anyone with any information relating to this incident, or any information relating to anyone that may have been hunting/quadding/camping in that area around that time, to please contact fish and wildlife. The area in question was NW of the upper hummingbird trail, west of onion lake trail area, on the 422/426 boundary. Callers can remain anonymous, and can be eligible for cash reward. Also, feel free to PM me. It is my personal opinion that this is the pinnacle of cowerdly poaching and wildlife offences. It creates an unfortunate loss for outdoorsman and wildlife populations alike. My apologies for posting on a negative subject, but files like these need assistance from the public - RAP 1-800-642-3800, or call Nordegg district office 403-721-3965.

Sounds like a person(s) with local knowledge of the area, easy access etc probably entered using ATV only and did not bring in the ATV by truck or on trailer. I would say Wildlife may already have a good idea of who did this. Unfortunately, there is a 'yahoo element' out there, with too much time on their hands

1-4duckhunt
09-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Did these poachers take the head or just shot and left this ram where it layed.Just wonding if they might of shot a under sized ram and left it for the yolts to eat.

They didnt take anything, the ram lay exactly where it was shot, virtually untouched. It would have been a nice legal ram next year for sure. Its unfortunate that this probably happens more than we think - Doesnt help ram populations, and if continued, may force some more controlling wildlife management tools (ie all sheep on draw etc). Location of sheep make poached ones that much harder to find/report/investigate. Thanks to those who viewed and took interest, ideally those responsible will be held accountable.

ice
10-02-2010, 02:36 PM
In a Circumstance Where. You Accidentally killed the wrong animal, whether it being not big enough. or just missing striking and killing another animal.
Doing the right thing. and turning yourself in.
What Kind of penalty would be involved?
Would all of your weapons and assets still be seized.
Or a Hefty Fine?
or somthing like that?

Ice

matathonman
10-02-2010, 02:55 PM
The animal was left there so there's your answer. Accidentally shot or what not doesn't cut it. An ilegal animal is an ilegal animal,