PDA

View Full Version : Moose rut?

bullpike
09-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Has anyone been hearing moose calling yet? We are heading out for our annual moose hunt right away and was just wondering if anyone has heard them calling yet?

elk aholic
09-25-2010, 12:14 PM
yes up north they are rutin pretty hard. called a nice bull in to ten yards on the 18TH gruntin all the way!

mooseslayer
09-25-2010, 12:17 PM
The younger cows and smaller bulls were giving it their best last week while we were elk hunting around Grande Prairie.
The bulls up north here (High Level area) are moving lots and coming into calls for about 5 days now. The ones that hanging around the roads are slowly getting picked off one by one.

themangler
09-25-2010, 08:57 PM
went out this weekend just starting to dig pits and a few rubs slowly coming to cow call .havnt seen a single moose in morning always at night another week i guess

bullpike
09-26-2010, 02:06 PM
I always thought it was around the first of october. Am I crazy in this thinking?

Sparx
09-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Am always a big believer in the last week of September and first week of October being the best time to head out. Starts to really slow down almost to a stand still by the last two weeks of October.

I've also had good luck for the first time last year on the first week of November last year and believe the bull I got came out to my calls. He was pushed from another track of bush with a cow and a calf the morning that I got him.

DJS
09-26-2010, 07:12 PM
went out this weekend just starting to dig pits and a few rubs slowly coming to cow call .havnt seen a single moose in morning always at night another week i guess

I've noticed this also. I'm working nights right mow and have been hunting the mornings and havn't seen squat. Guys driving home at night have seen some bulls moving in the evening. Interesting observation.

HunterDave
09-26-2010, 07:40 PM
The rut is starting out at our trailer a little northwest of Edmonton by Lac Ste Anne. There's a young bull out there that is starting to get a little silly. Last week he went for a little stroll through the campground and on Thursday night he was hanging around the edge of the bush checking us out. I haven't heard any calling yet but I'm sure that I will this week.

Around here the rut is always the last week of September with most of the mating happening the first week of October. Farther north I would imagine that it's a week earlier.

dvani
09-26-2010, 08:56 PM
I was just wondering. I have a bull moose on my trail camera on sept 9 but i haven't seen him since. I was wondering you think that bull is still around or just moved on. Just wondering. Thanks.

HunterDave
09-27-2010, 12:50 AM
I was just wondering. I have a bull moose on my trail camera on sept 9 but i haven't seen him since. I was wondering you think that bull is still around or just moved on. Just wondering. Thanks.

I've been watching the same small bull, and a cow and calf in the same area since this Spring. I'm sure that they wander around a bit but they seem fairly content in the area. Try calling a couple of nights in a row and see if he's still around.

Sparx
09-27-2010, 06:08 AM
The rut is starting out at our trailer a little northwest of Edmonton by Lac Ste Anne. There's a young bull out there that is starting to get a little silly. Last week he went for a little stroll through the campground and on Thursday night he was hanging around the edge of the bush checking us out. I haven't heard any calling yet but I'm sure that I will this week.

Around here the rut is always the last week of September with most of the mating happening the first week of October. Farther north I would imagine that it's a week earlier.

No difference up here, same exact times. Maybe as far North as Yukon or Alaska I've heard end of August, begining of September for their rut. Earliest I've seen bulls sparing or called them in is the last week of September. Have never found sign yet other than scrapes to rid the velvet before then. It's like clockwork too, same time every year. All the weather has in regards to a factor is how hard and intense of a rut it is in my opinion. Frosty mornings normally work best for getting them moving harder too. In warm weather they get the job done, but don't seem to respond to calls as much and take their time getting to your calls.

yamaha 1
09-27-2010, 11:39 AM
A week ago right to the day ,a friend of a friend shot his moose with a bow and the bull still had velvet on.I'v heard they are comeing to the calls,you have lots of time ,the rut is just starting up here and the warm weather will slow them down a little but you should have great luck until the 3d week of Oct.I have been hunting the first or the second week of Oct for years and always come home with a moose every year....nock on wood....Good luck with your hunt.

pdfish
09-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Last night I saw a real nice bull tending to a cow just north of Spruce Grove, the rut is on!!

depopulator
09-27-2010, 07:41 PM
I called in two bulls last Friday, one Biggun' with a cow, but both hung up at around 100 yards - too far for my Hoyt. Figured I would back off and try another day. With temps dropping and a front coming in, I'm ditching work and trying again tomorrow (28th).

Roughneck71
09-27-2010, 09:18 PM
YEP out elk huntin on thursday and friday heard a faint grunt on thurs. morning so i replied with a grunt and started to smash up some willows.................wow big ole bull came out at about 40 yards grunting and stomping around:fighting0074: that was enough for me a little too close..lol heard 2 more on friday morning..
Darrell