PDA

View Full Version : field dressing an elk

botwood
09-25-2010, 04:30 PM
I'll be going on an elk hunt for the first time, may have to go it alone and so assume i'd have to quarter up the elk to get it out. I assume even with a second person I'd have to quarter an elk up.

I called the butcher who I'm going to bring it to and asked him how he preferred I quarter it, he said it's best not to quarter it at all. I just wonder if it is possible to get an elk out whole.

sheephunter
09-25-2010, 04:34 PM
I'll be going on an elk hunt for the first time, may have to go it alone and so assume i'd have to quarter up the elk to get it out. I assume even with a second person I'd have to quarter an elk up.

I called the butcher who I'm going to bring it to and asked him how he preferred I quarter it, he said it's best not to quarter it at all. I just wonder if it is possible to get an elk out whole.

If you can back a truck or Argo up to it sure.

Rackmastr
09-25-2010, 04:38 PM
I've taken elk out whole, but like TJ said, its only really possible if you can get a truck, quad, or argo/UTV type vehicle to it. It can be a good bit of work with a couple guys once you get to a truck regardless though. But yes...its possible.

botwood
09-25-2010, 04:41 PM
what would the average dressed elk weigh?

827rotax
09-25-2010, 04:47 PM
what would the average dressed elk weigh?

My Buddys Bull all quarters at the butcher shop were 550lbs
You may want to try game bags and the gutless method. Here is a link, I have personally never done it but it looks fairly straight forward.
Good Luck
http://elk101.com/webisodes/gutless-video/

Grizzly Adams
09-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Why would he not want it quartered? I like 4 quarters and bone out the rest., but I've usually had a horse. Hey, especially, if you're by yourself, you gotta do, what you gotta do. Don't imagine too many elk come out of the hills, in one piece.:lol:

Grizz

botwood
09-25-2010, 05:07 PM
wow, well I see no option but to quarter an elk up without a few helpers, especially without the use a an ATV.

botwood
09-25-2010, 05:18 PM
What then is the best way to quarter an elk so that good quality steaks and roasts are still able to be turned out by the butcher ?

botwood
09-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Why would he not want it quartered? I like 4 quarters and bone out the rest., but I've usually had a horse. Hey, especially, if you're by yourself, you gotta do, what you gotta do. Don't imagine too many elk come out of the hills, in one piece.:lol:

Grizz

Ya that was my thinking too, even with my lack of experience, I knew they were large animals.
I guess a whole animal is easier for the butcher to deal with, he said something about the quality of product goes down when quartered up.

sheephunter
09-25-2010, 05:24 PM
What then is the best way to quarter an elk so that good quality steaks and roasts are still able to be turned out by the butcher ?

Gutless method as posted above. Pop the four quarters off and bone out the rest. Simple and you get all the meat with the least amount of fuss.

sheephunter
09-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Ya that was my thinking too, even with my lack of experience, I knew they were large animals.
I guess a whole animal is easier for the butcher to deal with, he said something about the quality of product goes down when quartered up.

The amount he can charge goes down too...;)

Tuc
09-25-2010, 05:49 PM
You betch can. Doesn't hurt to have a winch on the back of your truck.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/996612.jpg

Huntingonthebrain
09-25-2010, 07:36 PM
My Brother and I just packed my elk down about 2km. It was all down hill and we had it all boned out. With our gear and elk meat it was about too much for us to handle. We did it but couldn't have with the bone in. Also consider packing out antlers as well. If you do multi trips then yes, but elk are not close to roads usually.
If you had 4 guys then yes. Bring a big backpack!

Jimboy
09-25-2010, 09:14 PM
l made up a tool , nice and light , its just a 2x4 5 ft long with a hand winch mounted in the middle of it , as long as theres trees around you can put the 2x4 crossways against 2 trees , and hand winch an animal up to ,or more than a thousand pounds , depending on the size of your hand winch , same one you winch your big boat in with should be fine, mine is 18 hundred lb capacity.
You can add a long rope to this setup to allow you to get a longer reach to the nearest trees , but at least one person can move a whole animal with it
Only thing is you can only winch it 30/40 ft at a time or whatever the lenght of you cable is , also easy to carry on a pack.
You can also eliminate the 2x4 and just carry the winch with a short cable , then all you do is wrap the winch to a tree and winch it along from tree to tree.
The 2x4 makes it more stable tho , but hey , its better than just a rope.

albertabucks
09-25-2010, 09:38 PM
I shot a bull elk tuesday night, we where able to get the quad pretty much up to the animal, and drug it back out to the truck. It was a long haul even with the quad some good size hills. I shot it at 7pm and didnt not get it to the truck untill midnight. I was absolutely bagged and there was 2 if us, its the last time, i will do the gutless method from now on. Hopefully my partner gets on here so we can give it a go.

Mountain Guy
09-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Bone it out on the spot.
It took me years to realize that the only good reason for packing out ''whole'' carcasses was for the great ''horror'' stories that usually accompanied packing them out.
Unless you like telling stories......start out right and only pack out the meat.

oldgutpile
09-25-2010, 10:13 PM
The "gutless" method as shown in the video, does not produce "quarters". The resulting pieces are two hips, boneless loins, and two front shoulders, accompanied by a big bag of misc. trim.
Two reasons why your local butcher would prefer the carcass whole (which admittedly is almost impossible):
1. when doing the "gutless" or any field cutting, the quality of the meat is so contaminated with hair, grass, leaves and mud, that you literally could skin some of them a second time to clean them up fit to eat.
2. Traditional cutting of the "quarters" (as opposed to the chunks shown in the video) are not possible when hacked into the packable size pieces shown.
Every year, when I think I have seen every possible way to destroy a carcass for butchering, someone gets creative and adds to the list.
One year we had a guy bring in a cow elk that he quartered in the field. After his walmart back-pack broke down, he dragged each skinned quarter to the truck with a piece of rope. Just to help out his freindly neighborhood butcher with the cleaning, he tried washing the meat off with a firehose! Leaves and grass were driven so deep into the meat it almost brought me to tears trying to make it edible.
For years we have joked that some of these guys skin their deer and then drag them out of the field. Last year we actually had a guy admit to doing just that! I guess I should be happy that there was still stuble in the field, and that it hadnt been tilled under!
I realize that most hunters do the best they can with what they have. Some just dont know any better. But, there is history and reasons why the butcher may seem rather anal about how the meat is delivered.

Frans
09-25-2010, 10:20 PM
I recall one episode of dragging out a full-sized red deer stag, it took four full-sized men. After maybe the 500 yards that separated the kill site from the nearest truck accessible trail, all four of them were just about done in. Of course it was rather nasty terrain.

Make sure you take some garbage bagsto put meat on, and some of the game bags to put meat in. It'll be a chore. Take some rope too, to tie up a leg here and there (you can be your last dollar that the bull won't die on a nice flat piece of ground). And go gutless, we (yes, we were two) did a moose that way, without too much trouble.

Mountain Guy
09-25-2010, 10:31 PM
The "gutless" method as shown in the video, does not produce "quarters". The resulting pieces are two hips, boneless loins, and two front shoulders, accompanied by a big bag of misc. trim.
Two reasons why your local butcher would prefer the carcass whole (which admittedly is almost impossible):
1. when doing the "gutless" or any field cutting, the quality of the meat is so contaminated with hair, grass, leaves and mud, that you literally could skin some of them a second time to clean them up fit to eat.
2. Traditional cutting of the "quarters" (as opposed to the chunks shown in the video) are not possible when hacked into the packable size pieces shown.
Every year, when I think I have seen every possible way to destroy a carcass for butchering, someone gets creative and adds to the list.
One year we had a guy bring in a cow elk that he quartered in the field. After his walmart back-pack broke down, he dragged each skinned quarter to the truck with a piece of rope. Just to help out his freindly neighborhood butcher with the cleaning, he tried washing the meat off with a firehose! Leaves and grass were driven so deep into the meat it almost brought me to tears trying to make it edible.
For years we have joked that some of these guys skin their deer and then drag them out of the field. Last year we actually had a guy admit to doing just that! I guess I should be happy that there was still stuble in the field, and that it hadnt been tilled under!
I realize that most hunters do the best they can with what they have. Some just dont know any better. But, there is history and reasons why the butcher may seem rather anal about how the meat is delivered.

Just because its quartered or boned out in the field doesn't mean it has to be covered in hair and dragged thru a cultivated field.
Obviously your a butcher, and I know why a lot of butcher's would prefer the whole carcass, [B]bone[B and all.:scared0018:
Don't get me wrong though.... I have nothing but respect for butchers. Thats one tough job I wouldn't want.

827rotax
09-25-2010, 11:42 PM

No disrespect here, just wondering if you are pro on against gutless?? I have not done the gutless method but with proper game bags would the meat not be as sanitized as could be for most field kills?? I have watched several videos on this method and could see some defiinate positives in this method. We do when possible hang and gut in camp, skin when home, or if not frozen skin and quarter and haul it home. We used to have a farm we could hang the meat in till we went home but do not anymore, so we leave the hide on and skin when home, quarter hang in the cooler for a week or so and butcher all our own meat.

botwood
09-26-2010, 07:52 AM

For me just as important as the hunt is being able to eat a roast or steak that is of a traditional / familiar cut. So I understand completely the importance of getting the animal out in as few pieces and as cleanly as possible.
I am and will be willing to go to great lengths to do this, but it does sound inprobable. Maybe I'll have to recruit a few more guys.

My butcher did say that if you have to cut the animal in half to get it out, then cut it cross ways at the end of the rib cage. Leaving both front quarters on one half and both hind quarters on the other half. He said this will enable him to produce good cuts also.

iversong
09-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Last week me and my son(could not have done it without him) Hauled my Elk out of a river valley(Elk never took a step after the shot). GPS said it was only 800 meters but it was 487 meters vertical. We boned the animal out on the ground, being very carful not to get any hair or dirt on the meat. We went through the meat after we got home just to make sure it was clean. A lot of work but this is the Fifth Elk we have removed this way. Strong backs, Elk fever, weak in between the ears whatever it is we will be back in the same area next year. Good luck.

oldgutpile
09-26-2010, 08:23 AM
I have no problem with guys that go the route of boning out in the field. As an avid elk hunter, I back-pack out all of my own elk as well, if they are not accessible by quad.
The only issues are as stated earlier, contamination and so-called "quarters". If you choose to use the method shown in the video, you lose your cross-rib and chuck roasts/steaks, and your sirloin is usually shot as well. It really limits some of the traditional meat cuts. If all you want is sausage.....NO PROBLEM!
Personal preference for recieving wild game in order are:
- whole carcass, hide-on
- whole carcass, skinned and CLEAN
- carcass cut in half (fronts and hinds ) with hide-on. This should only be required for elk, Moose, etc.
- boned out trim for sausage
For those critics who believe that the hide-on request is just a money scam, listen close! For the amount of time it takes me to clean up someone elses mess that is done during the skinning or transport of the carcass, the fees are way higher than what I charge for skinning. The meat loss is less when I do it with professional equipment, and the contamination is next to none.
Again, I do realize that there are lots of experienced guys out there that do know how to do a wonderful job. I have some regular customers that bring in their game spotless clean, wrapped in cheesecloth.
With many it is just a case of education and finding a better way, and the learning curve varies for all.

Grizzly Adams
09-26-2010, 08:28 AM
You betch can. Doesn't hurt to have a winch on the back of your truck.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/996612.jpg

Or, have a truck with a bale handler, The preferred local method.:lol:

59whiskers
09-26-2010, 09:07 AM
I have shot elk and moose buy myself while hunting alone. I pick and choose my hunting areas that I can access with my truck and make sure every step of the way is down hill to the truck. I also use a tobbagan to assist in the dragging out the halves. I pick and choose where I shoot large animals now, I prefer to enjoy my trips rather than turn them into a ordeal

Mountain Guy
09-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Some things don't make sense to me...
Some guys go through the trouble ( and pains ) of getting an animal into the butcher shop whole,or halved,or quartered, and then rerquest to have all the cuts boneless !!
Gutpile, can you explain that one to me ?
I've seen it myself.... many butchers ask and even endorse that you have your cuts boneless. Heck...way easier for him, easy clean up, no wear and tear on the saw.
Thats all fine. The unfortunate thing is that he weighs to animal before he cuts it.
How many out there actually get their animals cut with ALL the bones still in.
Does anyone ask for round steaks with the bone in ??
Shank steaks, bone in?
I'm not trying to downplay the butcher's... like I say I respect the dude, and hey, he's gotta eat too!!
But I've heard some stories about how much it's cost some people for an animal and its way out of my price range.
A guy where I live said he paid over $1000 for a deer to be processed!! That was with sausage and jerky, but come on.......

Did I mention I cut my own meat...

oldgutpile
09-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Wild game is extremely lean and does not set-up like beef or pork for cutting. With some animals, they are so sloppy to work with, we will actually tray them in the freezer for a short time so that they are nicer to make clean-cuts with. Boneless cuts are nicer to make a good presentation in the package.
However, boneless cuts are actually more labor intensive than just running the cuts through the saw. As far as the whole "saving the wear and tear on the saw" idea, all the animals are still run through the saw to break them down to workable size pieces. Then you do the EXTRA work to make the pieces boneless.

827rotax
09-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Wild game is extremely lean and does not set-up like beef or pork for cutting. With some animals, they are so sloppy to work with, we will actually tray them in the freezer for a short time so that they are nicer to make clean-cuts with. Boneless cuts are nicer to make a good presentation in the package.
However, boneless cuts are actually more labor intensive than just running the cuts through the saw. As far as the whole "saving the wear and tear on the saw" idea, all the animals are still run through the saw to break them down to workable size pieces. Then you do the EXTRA work to make the pieces boneless.

Extactly, so why if you are just going to cut it into workable pieces can't it come to you in quarters? I am no butcher, but have seen it done lots and have worked all my own animals. I don't put any Elk into sausage, i make it into burger. PLease help me to under stand, is for sanitation, or for the ability make the best cuts?
Also what book would you recomend for studying the proper cuts and location? Now i know I am not going to learn your craft by just one book, but to use as a reference. Thank you Gutpile!

827rotax
09-26-2010, 11:53 AM
One more question if I may, Brown freezer paper or vacuum seal? Which would you say is the best for keeping meat the freshest, there have been many discussions on here and it has always been more of a personal preference rather than a profesional opinion.
Thanks Dennis

acrtech
09-26-2010, 11:56 AM
I have tried it with bone in and found it to emmit a real bad after taste and much prefer the the game taste with out the addition of the bone in.
being a J-man /red seal cook our animals come out of the field and onto the table that would receive approval from any health inspector. I have a healthy relationship with my butcher!
:)

Mountain Guy
09-26-2010, 06:18 PM
I have tried it with bone in and found it to emmit a real bad after taste and much prefer the the game taste with out the addition of the bone in.
being a J-man /red seal cook our animals come out of the field and onto the table that would receive approval from any health inspector. I have a healthy relationship with my butcher!
:)

My experiences are the same.
I've found that game that still has the bone in, to be more likely having the gaminess to it. Combination of the bone dust, blood between the bone and mmeat and fat all contribute to potentially giving the meat the gamey taste. Just the lean meat without the rest is usually best. IMO.

sheephunter
09-26-2010, 06:26 PM
My experiences are the same.
I've found that game that still has the bone in, to be more likely having the gaminess to it. Combination of the bone dust, blood between the bone and mmeat and fat all contribute to potentially giving the meat the gamey taste. Just the lean meat without the rest is usually best. IMO.

Totally agree! Boneless is the way to go.

sheephunter
09-26-2010, 06:29 PM

I never cut a single bone on an animal unless I want a few ribs for the oven. Pull the muscle groups off the bone with a kniife and then cut into steaks or roasts.

rookiemoosehunter
09-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I leave the bone in on the t-bones and ribeyes, the rest is de-boned.

oldgutpile
09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Rotax: quarters are fine, if they are actual quarters, and not the chunks shown in the "gutless method" video. Just keep them clean and your butcher will have nothing but respect for you!

oldgutpile
09-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Rotax: quarters are fine, if they are actual quarters, and not the chunks shown in the "gutless method" video. Just keep them clean and your butcher will have nothing but respect for you!
As far as brown paper v.s. vacuum bag; I believe the vaccuum bag will actually keep the freshness longer, but they are very prone to getting holes in them (usually because of BONES). If the seal is broken/punctured, the air gets in and defeats the whole process.
Brown paper is always good for at least a year, but lately we are finding many manufacturers cutting corners on the quality of the paper. It starts coming down to a case of personal preference, but the cost of the vaccuum bags can get out of hand as well.

redranger15
09-26-2010, 09:14 PM
We did the gutless for the first time on our caribou. Thought is was the cats azz, and easier to keep it clean. As for wrapping we always use saran then brown butchers paper, seems to keep for awhile.

Elkaholic6
09-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Wow, was I ever taught a different way.. :scared:

botwood
09-26-2010, 10:49 PM

What is the proper way to quarter an animal

827rotax
09-27-2010, 12:51 AM
x2 thanks for all yor help Old Gutpile!!!

Sparx
09-27-2010, 06:57 AM

Best way IMO, small 14" chainsaw with canola/vegetable oil. Gut your moose/elk, cut off the head, cut the neck bone down the center and work your way back from neck/shoulder to the tail. Key is not to cut the hide and just enough to get through the bone and finish the rest with a knife through the hide. Once you go through the neck/shoulder area it opens up the whole chest to easily follow the spine down and get a cut you would swear that looks like beef hanging from a butcher shop. The spray you get from the chain from bone/meat dries up and most falls right off or can be brushed off lightly.

After that, cut 2 or 3 ribs up from the back end and split across the spine. When quartering you can stretch the halves and quarters out with the hide still attached to give you more room to cut with the knife and it turns out really clean this way.

Our butcher is the local Safeway butcher here in town and loves the way we take care of our meat. We always keep hide on until the day before, and always quarter our animals even when we can haul them out whole. Best to keep most of the mess in the bush. When we camp out for days, we'll skin and place the quarters in cheesecloth then tarps in the back of a enclosed ATV tub trailer or the back of my Ranger wrapped up tight in the tarp. The better you take care of your meat with not a stick of dirt/hair, the better he'll treat your meat when he sees the respect and importance you've given the animal.

You wouldn't be abled to prove to me in anyway that you could cut a straighter line than a chainsaw. And no, never once ever noticed the gassy smell ever either.

Mountain Guy
09-27-2010, 06:14 PM

Will you have a hunting partner or 2??
If your doing it alone you will struggle and could hurt yourself....
Just a warning...

pottymouth
09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Just a little humour !!!:scared0018:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvecnlyst0k

botwood
09-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Will you have a hunting partner or 2??
If your doing it alone you will struggle and could hurt yourself....
Just a warning...

Yes I have a buddy who has hunted elk, deer, and moose.

botwood
09-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Just a little humour !!!:scared0018:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvecnlyst0k

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Saw this one before, it's hillarious

botwood
09-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Best way IMO, small 14" chainsaw with canola/vegetable oil. Gut your moose/elk, cut off the head, cut the neck bone down the center and work your way back from neck/shoulder to the tail. Key is not to cut the hide and just enough to get through the bone and finish the rest with a knife through the hide. Once you go through the neck/shoulder area it opens up the whole chest to easily follow the spine down and get a cut you would swear that looks like beef hanging from a butcher shop. The spray you get from the chain from bone/meat dries up and most falls right off or can be brushed off lightly.

After that, cut 2 or 3 ribs up from the back end and split across the spine. When quartering you can stretch the halves and quarters out with the hide still attached to give you more room to cut with the knife and it turns out really clean this way.

Our butcher is the local Safeway butcher here in town and loves the way we take care of our meat. We always keep hide on until the day before, and always quarter our animals even when we can haul them out whole. Best to keep most of the mess in the bush. When we camp out for days, we'll skin and place the quarters in cheesecloth then tarps in the back of a enclosed ATV tub trailer or the back of my Ranger wrapped up tight in the tarp. The better you take care of your meat with not a stick of dirt/hair, the better he'll treat your meat when he sees the respect and importance you've given the animal.

You wouldn't be abled to prove to me in anyway that you could cut a straighter line than a chainsaw. And no, never once ever noticed the gassy smell ever either.

Now this sounds more like it, I've seen the video's on the gutless method, just looks like a bunch of nondescript pieces of random chunks of meat in a bag to me.

Rackmastr
09-27-2010, 09:17 PM
The chainsaw method obviously works good for quartering up an animal, but there are SEVERAL places you wouldnt find me carrying a saw (especially a chain saw) for a lot of the hunts that a lot of us do.

But ya, if you're close to a truck or a quad and can carry a chainsaw, its a great method. Other than that for backpack hunts, its the gutless method for me! There may be 'nondescript' chunks of meat but I could tell you every cut of meat I make when I'm butchering at home. Really easy and basic and works great for meat care.

Johnny
09-27-2010, 10:00 PM
This is my experience for this year. I have a tonne of sausage, burger, steaks, and roasts in the freezer and we used the gutless method. I will never again field process my game any other way. This also works for me now as I live in the city now and my neighbours probably would not like to see me hanging an elk in a tree to dress it using the conventional method. :sign0068: When I was on the farm, I used our shop block lift which worked well. Also, the area I was hunting was no motorized access and there is no other way to get an elk out unless you have a horse.

I found the gutless method to be very clean and when we were done, there was very little wasted. As we removed each quarter, we placed them in game bags immediately. All of the rib and neck meat went in a seperate bag for burger and sausage. We removed the back straps and tenderloins seperately for which I was able to produce about 20 good size packages of steaks. I got my butcher to cut out four 6lb roasts out of the hind quarters and the remaining meat was made into burger, smoked garlic sausage, breakfast sausage, fresh garlic sausage, hot and spicy sausage, and pepperoni. I am very pleased with the end result although the amount of meat we have in the freezer (I had to buy another freezer) is a little overwhelming.

In total, we used 5 alakan game bags and it took 5 pack loads to pack out all of the meat and the head. To be honest, the hind quarters were a little heavy although we did manage to get them out in tact. When I got the meat home, I sorted through all of the meat and trimmed it out as needed.

This is just my experience. Each to their own and good luck hunting.

sheephunter
09-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Now this sounds more like it, I've seen the video's on the gutless method, just looks like a bunch of nondescript pieces of random chunks of meat in a bag to me.

Looks can be deceiving...bone in or bone out, all steaks and roasts come from muscle groups. You get exactly the same cuts, sans bone, with the gutless method. Anyone that says they are just chunks of meat has very little understanding of the method or butchering. I agree that in beef, bones add good flavour....in wild game they don't. Each to their own for sure but meat is muscle and with the boneless method you get all the muscles...in very identifiable chunks!

Albertadiver
09-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Well, so far in my hunting 'career' I've been present for about 6 deer kills. 3 of which I gutted myself after having a more experianced hunting partner show me the ropes. All of them were gutted in the field, transported on a deer cart, and hung up. We skinned them, and cubed all the meat except for the backstraps. We took the clean cubed meat to the butcher in clean 5 ga. pails and had sausage, smokies, summer sausage, and pepperoni made out of everything.

I have my cow elk tag this year for an area that is foot access only. The last time one of the guys got his cow elk (year before I started hunting) one of the local ranchers was willing to help haul it out by horseback.

I like the idea of the gutless method as this is likely going to be just me and one other guy up to about 5 to 6km from the nearest vehicle access. All we'll have is our handy dandy deer cart.

I'm kinda getting scared to shoot an elk now... Good thread guys, very informative.

botwood
09-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Looks can be deceiving...bone in or bone out, all steaks and roasts come from muscle groups. You get exactly the same cuts, sans bone, with the gutless method. Anyone that says they are just chunks of meat has very little understanding of the method or butchering. I agree that in beef, bones add good flavour....in wild game they don't. Each to their own for sure but meat is muscle and with the boneless method you get all the muscles...in very identifiable chunks!

I'm having seconds thoughts now, the comments on the bones maybe not being as well flavored as beef bones and maybe even adding a bad taste to the meat has given me reason for pause.

Albertadiver
09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Question on gutless method, how careful do you have to be to avoid puncturing the stomach?

sheephunter
09-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Question on gutless method, how careful do you have to be to avoid puncturing the stomach?

Once you starting cutting out the rib meat it's an issue but before that you are never anywhere near it. When popping the back quarters off though you need to watch out for the bladder.

WkndWarrior
09-28-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm looking forward to trying the gutless method this year on a cow elk. It's seems the way to go considering i'm in 936 and the thought of hauling bone out a couple KM back just does not get me that excited.

Good tip on watching out for the bladder. What about the tenders? Is it easy to get them once the back quarters are off as well?

Thanks,

sheephunter
09-28-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm looking forward to trying the gutless method this year on a cow elk. It's seems the way to go considering i'm in 936 and the thought of hauling bone out a couple KM back just does not get me that excited.

Good tip on watching out for the bladder. What about the tenders? Is it easy to get them once the back quarters are off as well?

Thanks,

Yup, just reach in through the flank.

WkndWarrior
09-28-2010, 06:28 PM
It will probably make more sence when I get to that point.

Cal
09-28-2010, 07:23 PM
I didnt bother to check the link on the gutless method so maby this is redundant, but my own gutless method is a bit different than the one most people use. I havnt got an elk yet but I've used this on moose and I find it the most efficiant way to get a large animal out of the bush in a timely manner.

First I slice the paunch open like I would if I were to gut it, I tilt the animal and push the guts around a bit to get the tenderloins and liver out. Be carefull not to puncture the membrane that separates the lungs from the guts as all the blood can make things harder. Then I quarter it with my hunting knife, no saw needed if you have a rudimentary knowlege of ungulate anatomy and bone structure. Their just a big fish realy, just fillet the quarters off the ribs and pelvis. Then I take the backstraps, neck and other assorted bits of meat. I pack the meat to the trail/camp/river and skin the quarters when I get back to campor get home.

Johnny
09-28-2010, 08:49 PM
It will probably make more sence when I get to that point.

As for getting the tenderloins out, I was a little apprehensive at first as well. I did it at the the end of the dressing process and all we had to do was reach in behind the ribs and find the front end of the tenderloin. I started detaching the loin there with a small incision until enough was detached to pull it back with one hand and gently pull and cut the remaining tenderloin away. As it turned out, we were able to get out both tenderloins without any damage. Worked out well after all.

Once you try this method, it will make sense. Take your time on the first quarter and it is definitely easier if you have someone helping you. When you are removing the hind quarter, pay attention to where you are cutting when you get to the rump area as it is easy to cut to high and waist some of the higher quality roasts if you don't get close enough to the hip bone. I made this mistake on the first hind. We did manage to salvage the remainder of the hind meat although it went in the sausage pile at that point. When removing each quarter, have your partner lift up as you make your cuts. Once fully detached, you can get a bag ready and your partner can slowly drop it in. (no branches, leaves or any other contaminants to worry about by doing it this way)

Hopefully I am making sense and good luck.

Mountain Guy
09-29-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm having seconds thoughts now, the comments on the bones maybe not being as well flavored as beef bones and maybe even adding a bad taste to the meat has given me reason for pause.

Not to mention your back will appreciate you leaving the bone in the bush.
There's a lot of extra weight there that will serve you no purpose....unless your a canine:)
The gutless method will make your big chunks ( the 2 hams and the front legs/shoulders ) manageable and one guy can carry them.
If you quarter the animal, you will need at least 2 guys to lift and handle them....my back is hurting just thinking about that.

raab
09-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Is the gutless method legal in alberta? From my understanding you need to have the sex and species identified on the animal while transporting. Or am I just misunderstanding the law and if it's processed in the field you don't need the sex and species?

sheephunter
09-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Is the gutless method legal in alberta? From my understanding you need to have the sex and species identified on the animal while transporting. Or am I just misunderstanding the law and if it's processed in the field you don't need the sex and species?

Yup. I just leave one hind leg intact with the evidence of sex, tag and in the case of deer the tail. It's still part of the gutless method but you just don't debone one hind leg. The legs are removed from the carcass with the bone in utilizing this method and don't have to be deboned. I often don't if I'm not packing too far.