PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Firearms Safety Course

Bobby B.
10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm booked to take the course and write the exam this Saturday, October 13/07. Bad date for an exam, I know. Due to business constraints, I've had no time to even crack open the book let alone get in some studying.

Any heads up of what to expect would be very much appreciated. I must admit, I'm already nervous.

Bobby B.

Scott N
10-11-2007, 04:07 AM
The majority of both the written and practical tests are based on the concepts of ACTS and PROVE. Make sure that you know these and demenstrate them on the practical portion of the test and you should do fine. The rest of the test is pretty basic firearms knowledge.

Versatile
10-11-2007, 04:38 AM
If your taking it in Lethbridge, Allen Friesen will go over the entire book with you and he will walk you through the test before you write it. I took my test about 2 years ago from him and we went over the book, we did a review, went over the test, wrote the test, and then broke for lunch. Before you left you were given a time when you would be doing your hands on and you were expected to be there. Once all the hands on was finished he gave you your marks and paper to send in. Once that was finished you could do the restricted if you wished.

Scott is right know your calibers, gauges, shot sizes, ACTS, PROVE and you will do fine.

Bobby B.
10-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks, guys, I'm feeling more confident now.:wave:

Bobby B.

Scott N
10-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Just to add a little more to this, the written portion is all true / false or multiple choice questions and most of them are pretty basic. The practical part of the test is for the instructor to ensure that you can safely handle a firearm. Make sure you are aware of where the muzzle is pointing at all times. Remember to do the common sense things like match the ammo to the gun by looking at the case head and the markings on the barrel. When I did the practical part the instuctor had me do things like pretend I was crossing a fence line and be able to identify the different kinds of ammo i.e. rimfire, centerfire rifle, shot shell, etc.

Kelly & Beth
10-11-2007, 09:20 AM
I did mine Sept 15/07 from a guy named Guy. It is pretty easy course. I read my husbands old book before I went, should of challenged it but went through it all. It is a pretty easy course. Make sure you keep your hand away from the trigger and trigger guard or its 2% each time, same with muzzle direction, they will determine a safe wall and that is only where it can be pointed. Our class was 41 people. So it wasnt as much as individual, we did a walk around in groups of 10 and did the fence thing as mentioned. Dont sweat it. I got 100 on both written and practical, beat my husband he got 98 on both. Says he must of put his finger in the trigger guard. LOL
They state that the course is written for a GRADE 7 LEVEL, was for grade 8 level but more were failing it. So easy. Dont try to over think your answers. Plus if you get a few wrong or have trouble they wont fail you, they will help you with the right ones.
Beth

Bobby B.
10-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help in alleviating my fears. Even after 8 years of university exams including the LSAT, I still experience the jitters when performing under testing conditions. I scored 98% on the written (in my haste, I misinterpreted a question about storing a LOADED firearm in a locked closet) and 100% on the practical.

My objective to complete this course is to prepare for an African safaris in Namibia. I know feel I'm one step closer to realizing my dream.

Bobby B.

50BMG
10-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Congrats :D

Dick284
10-14-2007, 08:50 PM
WTG Bob.
Congrats