PDA

View Full Version : Quads again

Jimboy
09-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Lets get the law changed to allow us to legaly ride on secondary gravel roads in Alberta and forestry roads , l have writtin letters to the Govt to bring this up in the house.
As l said before we register them , have insurance , lights, and plates the same as any other car , motorcycle and truck , bicycles dont need nothing and can go anywhere , BUT WE CANT.
Tired of risking a fine just to ride a hundred yards or so on a gravel road.
Please join me in this fight and write Stelmach or you county MLA and lets get this law changed , Sqeeky wheels get greased , and l am sure the dealerships would be happy too.
Thanks folks , lets do it.

Dick284
09-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Your quad is registered as an off road vehicle.. that's the key off road.

Good luck with your quest, as I'm sure you are aware there is already more rules, regs, etc in the offing for quads and back country users.

Jimboy
09-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Your quad is registered as an off road vehicle.. that's the key off road.

Good luck with your quest, as I'm sure you are aware there is already more rules, regs, etc in the offing for quads and back country users.

Dont be an anti here , the proper name is ATV ,ALL TERRAIN in my books includes roads.
My quad is registerd as an ATV , not off road.
With people like you , we have no chance , be positive , we just want access to back secondary roads without a fine , we have all the same papers that your truck has , definition of a street legal vehical is lights, plates, insurance,
mirrors , hand signals like a bicycle ,of which dont need nothing to ride anywhere.
Also if you want to use the term offroad , then why do we have to register them and buy insurance , should be the same as a wheel barrow.

javlin101
09-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Dick284 is not being anti just telling it how it is. This has been kicked around on other sites (go to outlawatvclub.com) & search the site. The gov has piegion holed atv"s as off road vehicales & alow only that use for them. I support you on your quest & agree with your principles on this issue but don't know how far you will get. As said look on some of the quad sites & you will find this issue discussed already.

Jav

sheepguide
09-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Many gravel roads in the west country near where I live you are allowed to ride with an ATV. I was stopped this year on a road pulling a broke down quad and figured here comes a ticket, but nope. I talked to the Co's about it and they said any road around here that isnt county maintained is fair game for ATV's. But for the most part I cant see the need to ride roads with an ATV. We drive roads every day why would we wanna haul out a quad to do that same thing? Besides if with a group who wants to ride the dust of others on the road.
Just my 2 cents...
SG

sheepguide
09-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Also if you want to use the term offroad , then why do we have to register them and buy insurance , should be the same as a wheel barrow.

Ya it would be the same as the wheel barrow if said garden implement was packing an engine. And what would happen if you didnt insure and you crashed and wrote off your Atv or hit someone and got sued? Are you gunna be happy to just fork all the money out of your pocket? You can ride an ATV all you want with out insurance or registration just find some private land to go on.
No one agrees with the price of insurance but no one complains when their AtV is stolen and they dont have to fork out all the money for a new one. Id say best to suck it up and just get out and enjoy riding your insured ATV off the gravel roads instead of worrying about everything that is not 100% the way you want it, trust me its alot more fun that way.
SG

smitty9
09-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Nice to see some people taking at least some action in terms of writing about it:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/tmhrudey/Letter.pdf

The problem with quads is that defenders don't appreciate the relative scale when it comes to the concept of "one or two bad apples spoil the barrel". A perspective:

1) One or two bad apples in the granola eating, tree hugging crowd is bad but probably doesn't inflict too much damage.

2) One or two bad apples in the fishing community, including those elite flyfishers (I'm one of them), again, probably doesn't inflict too much damage.

3) One or two bad apples in the hunting/trapping
community - those of them on foot -, including those elite flyfishers (I'm one of them), again, probably doesn't inflict too much damage.

4) One or two bad apples in the horse guiding community, including those elite flyfishers (I'm one of them), again, probably doesn't inflict too much damage, but more than 1,2, and 3 from above. Ever seen a badly managed, abused horse trail? Ain't pretty.

5) But what about one or two bad apples in the atv community?

Well, one or two bad apples in the atv community, can make the other responsible owners look incredibly bad, skew public and media perception.

But then again, its entirely warranted.

One or two irresponsible atv'ers can erode stream banks, destroy young foliage, wipe out a year's worth of spawning, including permanent damage to the habitat, can turn a simple cutline into a nearly impassable mud bog. Makes fragile ecosystmes even more fragile, and lengthens - by years - any chance of their recovery.

Its all about the tool you choose. If your tool - your mode of transportation - has the potential to inflict SUBSTANTIALLY more damage than my 2 feet, then it ought to be looked at in terms of rules, access, regulations, and enforcement.

Your right to enjoy the outdoors any way you see fit is not superior to our province protecting it, and allowing others to enjoy it, least of the animals and plants that live there.

My 1.36 cents.

Smitty

beansgunsghandi
09-26-2010, 03:04 PM
I like your post Smitty, but I think the percentage of a "few bad apples" in quad land is way higher than a few. I'd bet that it's a few good ones who play by the rules and the vast majority who don't. It's just too damn tempting to give it gas and go "there," that seems to be what happens both in my own experience on quads and what I see out there.

From what I can figure the vast majority (I'll guess it at 80 percent, anybody have another guess we can use that) of public land in Alberta is pretty much wide-open to quads (or land where people are supposed to stay on designated trails, which amounts to the same as wide-open 'cause not many seem to follow that concept). Flip the percentages and I'm all for quads--80 percent of public land closed to motorized access, but you can drive quads on any road or anywhere at all in the other 20 percent, you've got my support.

The quad/OHV parks would still be enough area to go hard and have fun, I might even get into dirt biking there again, leave the rest of the province alone. It sure is nice to hunt areas without quad tracks and quads all over the place.

elkhunter11
09-26-2010, 04:16 PM
As l said before we register them , have insurance , lights, and plates the same as any other car , motorcycle and truck ,

But unlike cars,trucks,and street legal motorcycles,quads don't have tires,lights,signals ,horns,and other equipment approved for use on our streets.

gilbertslake
09-26-2010, 04:47 PM
As l said before we register them , have insurance , lights, and plates the same as any other car , motorcycle and truck , bicycles dont need nothing and can go anywhere , BUT WE CANT

Oh my, you can't be serious comparing quads to bicycles. Since when did bicycles tear up the countryside, shower people with mud and rocks, speed along gravel roads at 100 km/H when they are posted for 50 km/H and completely disrespect anything that gets in their way.
Before you look for more for quads, you really need to clean up the image. I for one cannot support legitimizing the illegal behaviour of more than just a handful of yahoos that I see going on on a daily basis. Clean up the neanderthal mentality of most of the riders we all see out there, then come look for my support. Sorry Jimboy, but until you and your legit rider friends start to self-police these retards, you are going to get very little support.

Almer Fudd
09-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Might happen some day.

Below is a press release from Transport Canada.
TC had to change their defination of Motorcycle to allow for the approval of the Bombardier Spider (3 wheeled vehicle).
There are several ATV manufacturers that are working with TC to get a 4 wheeled "motorcycle" classification.
Likely a low speed classification and would also allow for enclosed ATV's for all season use.
It's pretty common in Europe today.

No. H087/03

Transport Minister Announces Regulations to Permit the Availability in Canada of Three-Wheeled Vehicles and Enclosed Motorcycles OTTAWA — Transport Minister David Collenette today announced new regulations allowing for the availability in Canada of three-wheeled vehicles and enclosed motorcycles - motorcycles equipped with a structure that partially or fully encloses the occupants.

"The new regulations give Canadians access to a greater variety of transportation options and also improve on the previous motorcycle safety regulations," said Mr. Collenette.

The new regulations were implemented to address the unique design characteristics of three-wheeled vehicles and enclosed motorcycles. Before the new regulations came into effect, most of these vehicles could not be sold in Canada because they did not meet Canadian safety standards.

These vehicles will now have to pass a frontal crash test, be equipped with seat belts, and have impact-resistant fuel tanks. As well, three-wheeled vehicles must meet stringent stability standards.

New regulations have also been put in place to revise the classification of "motorcycle" to include four new subclasses: "open motorcycle," "enclosed motorcycle," "limited-speed motorcycle" and "motor tricycle." All motorcycle subclasses must meet new fuel system integrity safety standards to help prevent fuel leakage in the event of an accident.

While the provincial and territorial governments have jurisdiction for after-market additions to motor vehicles, Transport Canada develops standards and regulations for new vehicles manufactured or imported for use in Canada.

Regulations allowing three-wheeled vehicles and enclosed motorcycles to be available in Canada come into effect August 13, 2003, upon publication in the Canada Gazette Part II. The remaining regulations addressing fuel system integrity standards, vehicle stability standards for three-wheeled vehicles, and the new classifications for motorcycles will be effective September 1, 2004.

– 30 –

Dan Kingsbury
Communications, Ottawa
(613) 993-0055 Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to news releases and speeches at www.tc.gc.ca/e-news and keep up-to-date on the latest from Transport Canada.

This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons with visual disabilities.

uglyelk
09-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh my, you can't be serious comparing quads to bicycles. Since when did bicycles tear up the countryside, shower people with mud and rocks, speed along gravel roads at 100 km/H when they are posted for 50 km/H and completely disrespect anything that gets in their way.
Before you look for more for quads, you really need to clean up the image. I for one cannot support legitimizing the illegal behaviour of more than just a handful of yahoos that I see going on on a daily basis. Clean up the neanderthal mentality of most of the riders we all see out there, then come look for my support. Sorry Jimboy, but until you and your legit rider friends start to self-police these retards, you are going to get very little support.

Gilbert that's a strange position to take. I don't understand why you feel a quad owner should be responsible for other quad operators.

I own ten highway vehicles and rack up lots of hours behind the steering wheel. I see all kinds of reckless behaviour on our highways and in my local community. I don't feel it is my responsibility to straighten out the reckless yahoo's that I share the highway with. Figure there are plenty of laws and lots of LEO's to see that they are followed.

Possibly you could explain to me why you think I am responsible for other folks who own quads.

gilbertslake
09-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Gilbert that's a strange position to take. I don't understand why you feel a quad owner should be responsible for other quad operators.

I own ten highway vehicles and rack up lots of hours behind the steering wheel. I see all kinds of reckless behaviour on our highways and in my local community. I don't feel it is my responsibility to straighten out the reckless yahoo's that I share the highway with. Figure there are plenty of laws and lots of LEO's to see that they are followed.

Possibly you could explain to me why you think I am responsible for other folks who own quads.

So, you see a drunk driver on the highway, what do you do? Hope that there may be a cop around that will nab him before he wipes out a family? Or just do nothing? Or do you do what the law asks we do and "call 911 and report a drunk driver". same with the joy riders, draggers and those driving recklessly. Do you think these are ok too, or are you just glad it is not you they killed today? No, it is our responsibility to keep the roads we drive on safe for ourselves and others. I can't believe anyone would sit back and let a drunk driver do his thing and read in the paper the next day that the guy he failed to report just wiped out a family. Not me,my conscience would not allow that. Yes there are plenty laws, but not enough cops to enforce them. As responsible citizens we need to do what we can to help the law gets these jerks off the road.

uglyelk
09-26-2010, 08:24 PM
So, you see a drunk driver on the highway, what do you do? Hope that there may be a cop around that will nab him before he wipes out a family? Or just do nothing? Or do you do what the law asks we do and "call 911 and report a drunk driver". same with the joy riders, draggers and those driving recklessly. Do you think these are ok too, or are you just glad it is not you they killed today? No, it is our responsibility to keep the roads we drive on safe for ourselves and others. I can't believe anyone would sit back and let a drunk driver do his thing and read in the paper the next day that the guy he failed to report just wiped out a family. Not me,my conscience would not allow that. Yes there are plenty laws, but not enough cops to enforce them. As responsible citizens we need to do what we can to help the law gets these jerks off the road.

Don't be an arse son! Call 911 and report any spinning tires you see! Erossion is the devil hell it probably is the cause of global warming.....then again it may be liberal hot air that is causing the sky to fall.

Every day some clown speeds do you call them all in? How about the rolling stops? Hey does anyone call you in for driving with a friggin cell phone welded to your gob?

Do you hunt in cell range?

Lets let not turn into a bunch of stupid Liberals here. No need for banning or for a bunch of new regs. Gilbert the lads back in Scotland didn't do much of a job looking after firearms rights. Now you want to advocate for how quads will be used in the new country. You don't inspire my confidence. :sign0176:

gilbertslake
09-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Don't be an arse son! Call 911 and report any spinning tires you see! Erossion is the devil hell it probably is the cause of global warming.....then again it may be liberal hot air that is causing the sky to fall.

Every day some clown speeds do you call them all in? How about the rolling stops? Hey does anyone call you in for driving with a friggin cell phone welded to your gob?

Do you hunt in cell range?

Lets let not turn into a bunch of stupid Liberals here. No need for banning or for a bunch of new regs. Gilbert the lads back in Scotland didn't do much of a job looking after firearms rights. Now you want to advocate for how quads will be used in the new country. You don't inspire my confidence. :sign0176:

Such senseless drivel, requires no response except pity..........sorry

uglyelk
09-26-2010, 08:48 PM
I've actually been considering removing the wheels and installing tracks on my quad to provide better flotation and less of a foot print. It's a three grand modification, but one that would also increase taction in my snow removal endeavours.

That's my choice and mostly driven by deep snow and ice on the continental divide. I believe quads when operated properly leave little if any damage.

There is a move afoot to ban these wee jap horses. Do your self a favour guys go to SRD and pick up the application for a quad permit. These leftist save the world quacks can flap the gums all they want. Get your medical exemption and tell em to **** off!

CantGet Right
09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Lets get the law changed to allow us to legaly ride on secondary gravel roads in Alberta and forestry roads , l have writtin letters to the Govt to bring this up in the house.
As l said before we register them , have insurance , lights, and plates the same as any other car , motorcycle and truck , bicycles dont need nothing and can go anywhere , BUT WE CANT.
Tired of risking a fine just to ride a hundred yards or so on a gravel road.
Please join me in this fight and write Stelmach or you county MLA and lets get this law changed , Sqeeky wheels get greased , and l am sure the dealerships would be happy too.
Thanks folks , lets do it.

Good luck with that. Here each county decides whether or not ATV's are permitted on roadways. There are still a few counties not allowing it but more are permitting and new ATV trail systems are developing all the time. It sure makes life a little easier when your only going 1/4 mile up the road to the other farm and not having to fire up a vehicle or fixing fence along the road. Still can get pulled over by LEO's but they just say to wear a helmet and attach a slow moving vehicle sign and your good to go.

surhuntsalot
09-26-2010, 10:38 PM
I'd have to vote against Quads on roads as well... That said, here's my reason why...

I have seen a few responsible ATV users that would respect laws, and opperate their ATV's responsibly... But lately I have seen More users that would not. These are mostly younger riders, sport quads and otherwise that are constantly riding down roads and Highways (no plates), regardless of the laws. I was following one young fellow that was on a sport quad, I was in my Dodge 1 ton, going down the middle of a gravel road. He was oblivious to the fact I was behind him. When we both got to the next intersection he, without looking back proceeded to pin his quad doing donuts in the intersection... I was less than 20 feet behind him and was actually sprayed with rocks. He was shocked when he finally looked up through the dust and saw me there. As I drove by I rolled my window down and staered him down, and told him to have a little respect for the roadways, and that I didn't appreciate driving over the washboards he created. He looked at Me like I was the idiot for even sugesting that to him, and took off in another cloud of dust. :sign0176:

I know thwere are alot of law abiding users , but when one of these careless ones comes whipping out onto a road that I'm driving down, and gets hit, then it looks like I was in the wrong.... Sorry, but ATV's should remain OFF ROAD, where alot of them have yet to learn what "No Hunting Before 12 Noon using an Off Highway Vehicle" means.... But that's a whole 'nother thread...