PDA

View Full Version : deer

johnheat
09-26-2010, 07:42 PM
I tried my luck for deer last year for the first time and didn't have any luck, saw some does. and one buck run across the road. I don't know how to hunt deer as I am from Newfoundland and we have no deer all I have hunted are moose and caribou. any tips or locations would be great. Last year I spent most of my time in blue ridge area.

Morbius131
09-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Well it is tough to teach you how to hunt deer on the net but one thing I can tell you is that the Blue Ridge area is a tougher hunt. I have been out there many times and it is really hit or miss out there. My advice for you if you are going to hunt areas like that is to get off the roads and walk some trails. Moose and deer generally don't high populations of moose and deer generally won't be found in the same areas out in Blue Ridge. So if you think you would hunt moose in the area go find a different one.

Good luck.

Morb

jessibobessy
09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Well I'm not very knowledgeable about this yet but I can share the little bit I do know... if you find does, bucks can't be too far away. Whitetails like to stick close to the treeline for grazing and like to have lots of cover. When we go scouting, you'll drive past a hill and then BAM they are right there on the other side of the hill by the road. So hills, coulees, and treed areas is where we've been finding them just after dawn and before dusk.

For mulies, which I don't know much about... they seem to be more comfortable out in the open. Lots of time you'll find them resting in the middle of a grain field during the day and you can just see their heads out above the crops. I've also heard that whitetails and mulies don't like to live in the same areas, so you'll find one or the other in one spot, they don't share territories.

Also, dragging doe urine on a rag behind you always helps bring in the bucks... at least that's what I'm told :) Hope that helps ya some!

Beta-pg
09-27-2010, 12:12 PM
read as much as you can online and try to put it into practice out there. Thats what I've been doing. But learning myself and retraining my brother in law into realizing he isn't rifle hunting in northern Ontario has been a daunting task.

But most of all... enjoy every minute of it!

mikdundee
09-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Mule Deer and Whitetail Deer often do inhabit the same areas, I've seen them feeding side by side in the field on several occasions. For that reason make sure you can identify the species before shooting. Other than that, lots of info on-line and many great posts in this forum.

johnheat
09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
thanks guys, i guess i am doing the right thing by asking for advice then.

harryones
09-29-2010, 03:12 PM
I tried my luck for deer last year for the first time and didn't have any luck, saw some does. and one buck run across the road. I don't know how to hunt deer as I am from Newfoundland and we have no deer all I have hunted are moose and caribou. any tips or locations would be great. Last year I spent most of my time in blue ridge area.

Getting at least a couple of km's from the road would be your best bet in an area your not familiar with. Then after that it patience and time spent in the woods. If your like myself and have zero attn span for sitting in a tree stand. Still hunting would be your best bet. 20 to 30 slow quiet steps, stop look and listen. It's amazing what appears after standing there for a few minutes. Just make sure the wind is always in your face.(Readers Digest version of hunting)
Enjoy your time out in the woods. Even if you don't get anything its time well spent.