PDA

View Full Version : Sheep hunting help

alberta hunter
09-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I have always wanted to learn and become a sheep hunter I have bought tags for the last couple of years and never seen an a ram. I was out this past week hunting elk and I notice a band of 10 rams with one that looked really good but he was really broomed of. I here the story if you never get close you will never find out. I spotted these rams on thursday morning so I quickly left the trail and with in a few hours I was with in 50 yards of the ram but he was directly above me so of course he looked legal but I new I had to get on the same level as he was, but there was no way that could happen. I watched him for about 2 hours and desided I wasent sure so I left him. That night it bothered me so much that I went back that next afternoon and took a my brother with me, he has been sheep hunting before but has not been succesfull, we made a game plan and again within a few hours we were watching him bedded down. He is a big Ram with a tight curl and is broomed of a good 2 inches on both side but because we could not get to eye level I again never took the shot some, times he looked definatly leagal and other times he looked definatly short. I never ended up taking the shot for the second time. As I was walking down the hill I ran into another hunter he didnt know we were up there. after talking to him for a while he couldnt understand why I never shot that full curl ram. I told him he wasent leagal and he told me he was defiantly a good ram. He looked at it through his spotting scope at about 1500 yards +/-. So I guess I would like to get some assistance on how to tell if the rams legal if you are never above him or on on eye level? is there a web site that shows me some rams at different views? I no sheep hunters are a different breed but I would really like if some one could help me out.

I am sitting watching the football game and cant get this of my mind so If anyone can help I would love the advise.

sheepguide
09-26-2010, 10:28 PM
PM sent.

Young Eldon
09-27-2010, 08:14 PM
You did the right thing - twice!
Do not put too much faith in what any other strange hunter said out in the field. Sounds like you had as good or many better views of the ram than the guy with the spotting scope.
Any chance this happened up by Onion Lake where an illegal ram was shot and left? If so, tell your story to the Wildlife Officer at Rocky Mountain House.
Keep up the good hunting ethic.

alberta hunter
09-28-2010, 09:12 PM
no Young Eldon this was in the south.

decker
09-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I was in the same situation yesterday we had 8 rams and couldn't say for sure they were legal or not at 160 yards and one was so heavy and wide but would not give us a good profile to make the call. Talk about frustrating:sign0176: