PDA

View Full Version : Going on my first hunting trip!!

jessibobessy
09-27-2010, 09:31 AM
So Dad & I have decided we are going hunting down in 402 on Fri/Sat/Sun this weekend and I am soooo excited! :sHa_shakeshout: It's my first time hunting and I picked up my tags for elk and whitetail on the weekend. We are taking up horses and going to set up a camp somewhere in the woods (dad knows where we're going, but not me). I haven't ever camped in the mountains this late in the year so I'm a little worried about freezing my butt off. Any advice on how to make my first hunting trip go well and be enjoyable?

And what kinds of foods are good to take with us? Since we'll be packing in, it's not quite the same as having a camper with a fridge and stove. But I'm thinking a thermos with chili or soup would be good. And also coffee that we can reheat over the fire if we need to.. don't know if that's plausible though. Thanks!

Jess

sheephunter
09-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Wow, you must be some excited. Good luck out there. I'd tell you to have fun but there's no way you can't. Just enjoy the experience. Take lots of pictures!

Rockymtnx
09-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Well I am sure you will have fun and enjoy your trip.
Like SH said, take lots of pics. Hopefully you will have a few to share with us when you get back.
Good luck out there!

aulrich
09-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Layers, layers and more layers, did I mention layers. The temp swings are going to be wild if the weather holds and it is nice. Cold first thing to who knows how hot.

I never hunted off horseback myself that sounds like fun just for that.

There might be times whenit is tough and misserable a positive attitude will help get you through.

Take lots of picture and have lots of fun.

FishBrain
09-27-2010, 10:39 AM
If this is your first time hunting I am sure you will have a great time no matter what. My advise is listen carefully to everything your old man tells you!!!
Relax, and enjoy the time out there.
Drop a Monster, then come back and show us pictures and tell us the story!!

jessibobessy
09-27-2010, 10:42 AM
I haven't bought hunting boots... I just was going to wear a pair of cowboy boots (grippy soled ones, not leather) with some thick wool socks. Will this do, or is it worth to invest in actual hunting boots that are waterproof??? So many things to buy to get started in hunting!

sheepguide
09-27-2010, 10:53 AM
I haven't bought hunting boots... I just was going to wear a pair of cowboy boots (grippy soled ones, not leather) with some thick wool socks. Will this do, or is it worth to invest in actual hunting boots that are waterproof??? So many things to buy to get started in hunting!

For sure go for the hiking boots. Get a pair that is lightly inulated(mine are around 400gr of thinsulate) and Gore-tex is a must. With that you should be good.
SG

Walleyes
09-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Good luck to you guys on your trip,, sounds like its going to be fun..

Above all stay safe and have fun.. Can't wait for the report..

u_cant_rope_the_wind
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
yer dad knows the area and where yer going best ask him he,ll steer ya rt

Shaggy
09-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Take care of your feet. That is very important. They need to stay dry. Dry=warm. Get some decent boots. The cowboy boots work on the farm when you are moving around lots, but you might end up sitting for a while and they will get very cold. That alone will take away the enjoyment of your hunt.

Have a great time, and we expect a full story on your most triumphant return.

goober
09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Best of luck to you guy's!!!

jessibobessy
09-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys! I will make sure I get some good boots and a few extra pairs of socks before we head out. Might be a while before I have news of catching something... we are going to set up a camp for the season about 5 miles off the road and will probably spend most of this weekend scouting and figuring out the area. Dad hasn't been out to this spot in 20 years. But ya never know, might come across a herd before we know it! :)

SugarCreek
09-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Good luck JBB.......these will be memories that you will carry for the rest of your life. Enjoy and look forward to seeing pics when you come back......Marco

barbie_bambi_killer
10-05-2010, 03:31 PM
definitely get a good pair of boots! My first hunting season I wore wool-lined rubber boots - bad idea! Blisters, sore and cold feet! You can get a pretty good pair of boots for under $200, especially for winter. Hiking boots work great for early season! This is my 4th season with the womens Rocky ones I bought and I love them! I have put many, many miles on them and they are warm and fit perfect. I agree gore tex is key. Also, its footwear, they dont necessarily need to be camo (anything camo is much more $$$$$). I think this is the equivalent to what I have http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/4451/1600FQ0004130/Rocky-Women's-Lady-Hunter-Gore-Tex-Outdoor-Boots/

glen d.
10-05-2010, 10:44 PM
You are going up against mother nature and she usually wins so it is the old boy scout thing be prepared.
A good pair of gortex 1000 gram boots .... i have Elk trackers by Irish Setter, the've been great, carry survival goods with you at all times and have some pullover waterproof clothing with you also, there will be times it will rain on you when not expecting.
Dress on a night hunt like you might have to stay out in the woods all night, just in case.

Quads are ok, have used them for years, use to take horses years ago.

Have fun .... enjoy.