PDA

View Full Version : Elk in 346

Adolph
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I was drawn for antlerless elk in 346 this year and thought I had my game plan all set. I took a scouting trip in late August and planned a weeks hunt starting opening day. Unfortunately I had to cancel to go to a funeral back east and now I only have one more chance to get out from this Saturday to Tuesday. I need to maximize my chances so I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me what they've seen for elk sign, etc. in the Shiningbank area or anywhere else in 346 such as the Lynx Creek Road. Thanks for any help and good luck to all of you.

Marcus
09-28-2010, 09:33 AM
pm sent

Mountain Guy
09-28-2010, 08:31 PM
My experiences with elk in 346 is that they are where u find them. They move around lots and where you find them now they will probably be gone within a few days.
Except for the area's marked ''no trepassing'' and ''trespassers will be shot ''. Those places seem to always have the elk on them:sign0176:

Mountain Guy
09-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Oh, some advice....don't think that if u wait till december that you'll have all the elk to yourself and that it'll be easy pickens.
That seems to be when the frenzy happens. I hunted that zone one year and the only elk I seen were herds that were running for their lives, tongues hanging out, trying to get away from desperate last minute hunters.

Adolph
09-29-2010, 08:20 AM
That's been my experience in 346 (and most other 300 WMUs). I know the elk I scouted in late August have moved on that's why I asked for any more current reports. I'll just have to 'visit' the areas I've seen elk in past years and hope that I hit on a herd moving through.

Not sure how much bush is left in some of my old spots as the last time I was up around Shiningbank it was starting to look like a moonscape with all the clear cutting going on.